U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 09:43 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,694,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
I do need to have JEA come by and take a look. Good suggestions all. I know the computer stays on all 24/7, that'll stop. Cell phone chargers, yep, that'll stop. It'd be awfully hard to part w/the extra fridge. I have a side-by-side for my normal house fridge, and I'll never buy another one. The room inside isn't what one would think it is. So the extra fridge is what houses the drinks and such, the extra stuff.

Our bill has always been higher, and deservedly so. We didn't ever really pay attention before it began going sky-high like it is now. It's always been higher, just whip that ole thermostat down to cool the place off, no problem.

I'll have to get dh out there to look at the condensate line and the copper coils. I bet those haven't been cleaned in a while.

But these days. WHOA!!!
You don't have to get rid of the fridge, just unplug it.

Also, we didn't clean the copper coil, we cleaned the cooling coils - they should be in your handler once you take off the door.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:41 AM

604 posts, read 4,450,991 times
here's a link to a cool energy calculator How much electricity does my stuff use?
you select the appliance and hours used each day and it estimates the cost to run per month. We had a FPL audit years ago and they told me ceiling fans were $5/month. I had 8 running full time. They only work when your in the room so now we have them on switches so most are off unless needed.
The calculator estimates $22/month for the fridge, but that's in the house. Running a fridge in the hot garage takes a lot more effort.
With the a/c and water heater usage you have to estimate the length of time it is actually running..maybe 50% for a/c and less for water heater.
Oh and a "sleeping computer/monitor" run 23 hrs a day only cost $8 year. You would probably use more energy turning it on and off.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:29 AM

53 posts, read 291,887 times
With a little attention to detail, your electric bill can be lowered some. I have a time thermostat on my AC units. I keep it warmer inside when no one is around. Change your bulbs to CFL's when you can (dimmers don't work with these bulbs and I have lots of dimmers). And...turn off the lights when you aren't in the rooms...this really works and is so very simple, but you would be surprised by how many peeps do not attempt this. I think we will see clotheslines return soon. Just be sure to remove the clothes and lines at night and install them in areas where they will be best concealed from neighbor's views. Dryers use a huge amount of energy!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:01 AM

576 posts, read 913,254 times
Just told dh this morning that I want a clothesline in the b'yard. But w/all the rain we've been getting everyday. That would be the next challenge. How to get the clothes on the line and dried before the storms move in.

I have been very dilligent (didn't used to be). The last three months with the lights around here. In fact, threatened to remove light bulbs, if folks can't turn off the lights when they leave the room. That first bill I got that was a shocker (back before we paid close attention) at $440. That set in motion the upping of the thermostat and the lights off. The next bill, $449, How'd that happen?!??!

Then the next bill, the one I just got, with the concerted effort at upping the thermostat, and turning off lights, $499.

That's why I was shocked.

Just how much did JEA's rates increase? Because I was looking at the killowat hours used, and this time last year, the useage is virtually the same, a little less. And the price is over $100 more than it was. July of 2007 - 4263 Kwh, July 2008 - 3946 Kwh.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:33 PM

Default JEA rates...

JEA has raised the rates in small increments rather than all in one shot, so I don't know what the total is?

There's some history and explanation of the rate increases here:

JEA - The Future of Rates

Here's the JEA Energy audit info:

JEA - Home Energy Audit

Jim offers a couple of tips here:

JEA - Open letter to all JEA customers

And just a little JEA news, we're getting a new natural gas power plant in St. John's county:

JEA - Town Meeting

Old 07-31-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post

I have been very dilligent (didn't used to be).
I'm glad to hear you have a growing interest in conserving energy, it's good for all of us. Natural resources have to be used in order to produce the electricity, and those are finite resources.

If you want to go further and really tighten up your energy use, take a look at Ed Begley Jr.'s new book - Living Like Ed:

Living Like Ed | By Ed Begley Jr. | Available Now

I dream of going solar and living off-grid in the city . Until then, I try to find ways to conserve more.

Let us know how it goes, NNYL!

Old 07-31-2008, 07:14 PM

17,835 posts, read 31,344,645 times
another thing you can try is shut the blinds and curtains to block the sun
we have always had the hardest time keeping the great room cool it is all windows and of course the sun sets on that side of the house I have blinds and curtains and shut them around noon
this has really helped

I had JEA come out and do the energy audit they had lots of helpful info

Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 PM

13 posts, read 29,441 times
I get charged for stormwater or something like that...of course, it isn't really explained, just expressed on the bill...it is $30, which is a 50% increase on my original bill! No me gusta.

*edit*
guess that's not my electric bill, per se, but I felt it was apropos.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
another thing you can try is shut the blinds and curtains to block the sun
we have always had the hardest time keeping the great room cool it is all windows and of course the sun sets on that side of the house I have blinds and curtains and shut them around noon
this has really helped

I had JEA come out and do the energy audit they had lots of helpful info
And Karla, you have that film you put on your windows, that helped too, right? What is it called again?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_au_mean View Post
I get charged for stormwater or something like that...of course, it isn't really explained, just expressed on the bill...it is $30, which is a 50% increase on my original bill! No me gusta.

*edit*
guess that's not my electric bill, per se, but I felt it was apropos.
The stormwater fee! Don't get me started!

Too late, I'm started......what a fiasco! I'm still trying to get mine corrected. They had me billed all wrong. I still haven't heard back from them, I guess they're still working on it.

But yes, it's another way our utility bills are going up .

We talked about it here:
Wo all received the Solid waste & Stormwater fee "Love letter" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville