Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 PM

286 posts, read 1,231,962 times

Advertisements

Drive down 1st street on a Wednesday night and you'll hear crickets. I say bring the people on! Jax needs it...JaxPort is coming (almost here!), we had the SuperBowl, we got the St. John's towncenter, we even have 9A almost finished! We need people to move into the suburban ghost towns that have been created by the housing market bust. Jax is going to be a great city - it already is, but it needs more diversity, more influence, more great people with great ideas moving from places like Milwaukee, Miami, or Seattle. Welcome to Jacksonville!! We're happy you're here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:18 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
It's interesting that when I ask my friends up north to guess where I moved to in Florida, this part of Florida never comes up. It's always Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Tampa, and the mother of all Florida destinations, Orlando. Jacksonville has always been the city you had to pass through to get to these other places.

As for St. Augustine, people outside of the south will generally go, "huh? Never heard of it!" So I would say yeah, we're still a well kept secret, although that seems to be changing fast with the help of this forum. So will y'all shush!!
When I was moving down here, a handful of people had heard of St. Augustine, but none had heard of Jacksonville.....we don't get the tourists so we aren't known....until now !

Old 08-06-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokahi View Post
Drive down 1st street on a Wednesday night and you'll hear crickets. I say bring the people on! Jax needs it...JaxPort is coming (almost here!), we had the SuperBowl, we got the St. John's towncenter, we even have 9A almost finished! We need people to move into the suburban ghost towns that have been created by the housing market bust. Jax is going to be a great city - it already is, but it needs more diversity, more influence, more great people with great ideas moving from places like Milwaukee, Miami, or Seattle. Welcome to Jacksonville!! We're happy you're here!!
Yeah, the port is really going to change things...should be interesting .

Old 08-06-2008, 11:36 PM

Default Here's another article about people moving here....

Jacksonville.com

Old 08-07-2008, 12:04 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:

Be careful what you wish for. Go to the Ft Lauderdale and Miami forums and you'll see. I think Jax is a beautiful city, that can use a few more people, focus on putting some vibrance in the downtown area, and a few more things (some diverisity, some Fortune 500 companies/strong economy, not relying on tourism like down here, diversify its residential architecture a bit to name a few). But please dont ask South Floridians to move up there in great numbers....lol....(I know I'm going to get some lip for saying that. Bring it on!!)

Old 08-07-2008, 12:44 PM

859 posts, read 3,617,680 times
I think we simply need more people here that makes positive impacts.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:52 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
I think we simply need more people here that makes positive impacts.
Is this forum is any indication, you guys are going to have it really good. In my part of the state, we need more people to leave that make negative impacts, and thus far it seems to be happening. I'm just hoping they don't head for your part of the state, I see so much potential in it.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:02 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,110 times
Quote:
Drive down 1st street on a Wednesday night and you'll hear crickets.
Well, I just love the sound of crickets ... as you can tell.

As far as wishing for a big influx of people from all over, there is one thing worse than slow growth like Jacksonville and it's a city that grows too fast. We complain about the lack of vibrancy in the city but on the other side of the coin you may be looking at an increase in crime, vagrancy, pollution, homelessness, etc. In other words, Miami.

So let the city grow at its own pace and that pace is accelerating nicely.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:51 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Is this forum is any indication, you guys are going to have it really good. In my part of the state, we need more people to leave that make negative impacts, and thus far it seems to be happening. I'm just hoping they don't head for your part of the state, I see so much potential in it.

Seeminlgly the good ones are leaving......Why is it getting worse as people are still leaving? (And I also pray, JAX goes in the right direction, not ala South Florida)..

Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
Well, I just love the sound of crickets ... as you can tell.

As far as wishing for a big influx of people from all over, there is one thing worse than slow growth like Jacksonville and it's a city that grows too fast. We complain about the lack of vibrancy in the city but on the other side of the coin you may be looking at an increase in crime, vagrancy, pollution, homelessness, etc. In other words, Miami.

So let the city grow at its own pace and that pace is accelerating nicely.
Right, I think being a "late bloomer" is an advantage for Jax, we can learn from the other cities and try not to make the same mistakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville