U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2006, 07:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,004 times
Question Moving to Florida from Ohio...

My husband and I are planning on moving from Ohio to Florida by the end of the year. He owns his own construction business (commercial plumbing contractor) and we are trying to decide between the Tampa area or Jacksonville. We have 2 small children under age 3 and have been checking out suburbs like Wesley Chapel and Valrico near Tampa. I have my heart set on Tampa area, but husband would also like to check out Jax area. Good schools are important, nice neighborhood, young families and obviously somewhere where there is LOTS of construction (which there seems to be in most of Florida everytime we are there). Would also like to be close to water, hubby is a big fisherman. Any info on either or both areas would be appreciated.

Of course hurricanes are also a worry of mine...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2006, 08:08 AM

3,681 posts, read 10,550,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc0715
My husband and I are planning on moving from Ohio to Florida by the end of the year. He owns his own construction business (commercial plumbing contractor) and we are trying to decide between the Tampa area or Jacksonville. We have 2 small children under age 3 and have been checking out suburbs like Wesley Chapel and Valrico near Tampa. I have my heart set on Tampa area, but husband would also like to check out Jax area. Good schools are important, nice neighborhood, young families and obviously somewhere where there is LOTS of construction (which there seems to be in most of Florida everytime we are there). Would also like to be close to water, hubby is a big fisherman. Any info on either or both areas would be appreciated.

Check out the New Tampa area. They have lots on new building going on. Also Landolakes is right next to wesley chapel and is building also. Next year they should have a new mall opened. The beaches are maybe 1hr away which means you
dont need to evacuate with storms. New Tampa has lots of new young familes living there.

judy

Old 05-27-2006, 02:34 PM

32 posts, read 120,727 times
Default try saint augstine area

try world golf village it 1 exit past the st augustine outlets also 210 a few exits above that .st john's country club right aross the street is jacksonville cheaper taxes really a nice area also go to morrison homes and check bartrum springs jacksonville good luck lots of people our moveing north due to scare of storms

Old 06-02-2006, 04:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmc0715

I live in Cape Coral - west coast, south of Tampa and North of Naples, west of Fort Myers and north of Sanibel Island. I love living here. There is definitely a lot of construction here - it is probably the biggest industry here. Several new developments have housing starting at $200,000 and there is one in south Fort Myers that is starting at $800,000 going to $6 million Cape Coral has a younger median age with more kids than some of the surrounding areas. The parks are awesome (they built in a large number of parks as part of the city plan). There are also more waterfront homes in the city than probably any other city in the state because they dug hundreds of canals throughout the city before the city was developed. GREAT fishing (especially in Matlacha and the Pine Island area).

The price of housing went sky high during the last year but has come down to more reasonable levels (probably because it went higher than it should have). If you check out the MLS listings there are a lot of 3 BR 2 BA homes available under $200,000 - many with a pool. There are good schools and not so good schools - you just need to check them out. There are also many new schools being built because of the growth. I homeschool so I am not totally "in tune" with the schools.

Old 06-03-2006, 11:55 PM

30 posts, read 71,611 times
Default Cape Coral

I also live in Cape Coral & somewhat recommend it. 3/2 houses have definetly come down in price, but are still $230-$250 for a nice neighborhood. It's a safe sunny place to live. If you have any questions let me know!

Old 06-10-2006, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 20,909 times
Try just south of Jacksonville in North St. John's county. 210 corridor, rated the 7th fastest growing area in the nation.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 13,579 times
you forgot to tell them how awfull the traffic is ,and getting worse as we speak as i live in florida and have for 20 yr . no relief in sight but thaats everywhere in the state
Quote:
Originally Posted by karinb View Post
I live in Cape Coral - west coast, south of Tampa and North of Naples, west of Fort Myers and north of Sanibel Island. I love living here. There is definitely a lot of construction here - it is probably the biggest industry here. Several new developments have housing starting at $200,000 and there is one in south Fort Myers that is starting at $800,000 going to $6 million Cape Coral has a younger median age with more kids than some of the surrounding areas. The parks are awesome (they built in a large number of parks as part of the city plan). There are also more waterfront homes in the city than probably any other city in the state because they dug hundreds of canals throughout the city before the city was developed. GREAT fishing (especially in Matlacha and the Pine Island area).

The price of housing went sky high during the last year but has come down to more reasonable levels (probably because it went higher than it should have). If you check out the MLS listings there are a lot of 3 BR 2 BA homes available under $200,000 - many with a pool. There are good schools and not so good schools - you just need to check them out. There are also many new schools being built because of the growth. I homeschool so I am not totally "in tune" with the schools.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:46 PM

2 posts, read 17,556 times
My husband and I just moved to a place called Heritage Landing(we moved here from Boston, Ma.) It is located in World Golf Village. It is about 15 minutes away from St augustine beach. We love it here! We choose Heritage landing because it is geared toward families, as we to have to young children. One is 3 and one is 7 months. My husband works in Jacksonville. We chose St. Johns County because my daughter will be starting schools and they have a highly reputable school system. There is a lot of construction in the world golf village area, including two new schools. Good luck in your decision and if you need any other info I'd be glad to answer!

Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 AM

156 posts, read 488,218 times
We are also looking for a home in Heritage Landing and am glad to hear how much you like it. May I ask what are the hoa fees and cdd fees at this time? Also, are there lots of activities for the kids and/or adults to do? Do you feel safe in that area? Is there any areas in particular to stay away from within the development? Thanks for all of your help! Maybe one day we will be neighbors..haha!!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:50 AM

100 posts, read 175,611 times
there are 650,000 construction workers out of work in fla,st johns county has been hit really hard,as for schools they are losing huge amounts of budget money that means cuts in all areas,you really should do your own research,i have worked construction in st augustine for many years and we are moving out west ,okla ,ark, wyoming,south dakota are still very good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville