Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:05 AM

2,079 posts, read 6,088,623 times

Advertisements

The gas I'm paying here in midtown is 2.29, 2.49, and 2.59 right now, so anything below 2.00 makes me want to go that gas station immediately, unless of course it is outside the perimeter then it is not worth it. The prices I quoted are also what I have seen in Buckhead, the Highlands/little 5, downtown, and even on MLK. Come to the city of Atlanta, not the suburbs where it is obviously cheaper and you will see what over a million people are paying. When I am in Jax I spend a lot of time in PVB/beaches area, and I have never seen gas there as expensive as I have seen it here in Atlanta, even my parents have commented when coming up, and so did my friend's parents when they came up, and they hail from Naples where the most expensive gas in FL is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:11 AM

530 posts, read 1,453,281 times
Gas may be cheaper,but how much more time you spend commuting or sitting in traffic. Dont see any savings there, plus state income tax, less money there. People think Jax is so spread out Atlantas no different plus the time you have to spend sitting in traffic. I remember when I had to vote there when I lived there, what a nightmare that was.

The only think Peyton has done is kept with the same old talk from decades ago. Talk big, but think small. Atlanta talks big and thinks big.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:28 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-n-Jax View Post

The only think Peyton has done is kept with the same old talk from decades ago. Talk big, but think small. Atlanta talks big and thinks big.

He had a lot of strong support, I really feel like he wasted much of that good will . He's an okay mayor, but I was hoping for more out of him.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:53 PM

Atlanta has many more problems right now than Jacksonville does Keith. Any thinking big in Atlanta can be attributed to the many developers here making it happen. This year is the first year in 40 years apparently that more people moved to the city more than they moved to the suburbs. More people moved to Atlanta than Gwinnett! Obviously there is more of a demand here that was not here 10-20 years ago for more urban development and options. I would not say jacksonville does not think big, I would just say there is still a lot of undeveloped land and people prefer housing over high rises. Developers respond to demand.

If you look at similar sized cities that "think big" like Providence, RI, etc, they are all in financial crises because they force things and do not allow for supply and demand. Charlotte is a city we can look to, but we will be there, too in 10 years. They are still a larger city. Peyton has his flaws, but he can be "blamed" for helping to bring 3 fortune 500 companies to the downtown area, helping to expand the port, and other things like Deutsche bank and Citigroup. Obviously the Chamber helped, too, but Peyton has a very good business sense, perhaps he would have been better has head of the Chamber.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:14 PM

727 posts, read 1,829,635 times
"The people (women) are a lot friendlier in ATL then they are in JAX. Its a noticeable difference to me. Dudes speak to you in ATL, in JAX they just look. A smile in ATL does a lot. A smile in JAX may do a lil."

I'm not suprised, although out of all the places I have ever spent any real time in, Orlando is BY FAR the most unfriendly.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:20 PM

I would imagine a big city would have more problems. As far as Peyton he wasted the positive vibe after the SB, that was our chance to surge forward. IMO were right back where we were,, with I think I can I think I can attitude.

Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 PM

well also think about it this way, atlanta gets all the state funds and a lot of funds from washington for all sorts of projects, and that is only going to grow as i can imagine the ties between shirley franklin and obama cementing that tie. jax has to compete with orlando and south florida for state funds and we certainly hardly ever get any washington funding because we just aren't even on the radar. a classic example is pretty soon orlando will be tapping into our drinking water. south florida has one of the most fiscally irresponsible governments, but just in the past year we have seen almost how they get rewarded for it and we jacksonvillians under exremely fiscally responsible peyton get punished. Believe me, I am always on metrojacksonville.com, i brought that site to this board a year or 2 ago, and IMHO peyton certainly can do more with what he has, but I do not fall into that trap of blaming everything on him. for what it is worth on certain fronts he has done a terrible job (i.e. downtown development) but on other fronts he has done a terrific job (i.e. business and growth). you cannot expect everything from one person.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:13 PM

I guess we have gotten a little off topic re- the mayor, but anyway I guess you have to look at what each city has to offer and what you are looking for and way the pros and cons.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:45 PM

606 posts, read 1,997,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
"The people (women) are a lot friendlier in ATL then they are in JAX. Its a noticeable difference to me. Dudes speak to you in ATL, in JAX they just look. A smile in ATL does a lot. A smile in JAX may do a lil."

I'm not suprised, although out of all the places I have ever spent any real time in, Orlando is BY FAR the most unfriendly.
You would think that orlando would be very friendly, since the tourism industry is very important there.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:43 PM

here is relating the mayoral discussion to the original post. Which mayor would you rather have, Shirley Franklin who is even more crony prone (and her cronies are not the brightest and are certainly very corrupt!) or John Peyton. For me it does not even matter how "bad" Peyton may seem, he is a better mayor than Shirley Franklin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville