Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2008, 01:20 PM

147 posts, read 556,855 times

Advertisements

1. Our weather

2. The St. Johns River & Atlantic Ocean

3. That I can have something flowering in my garden 12 months out of the year.

4. The Dreamette, especially this time of year!

5. That I usually run into people I know when I'm out and about...that's why I reapply my lipstick using the rear view mirror so often!

6. That if you know the back streets you're usually never in a traffic jam

7. Whitway Deli and my version of a Dr. Burke

8. Hearing the church chimes on the hour in certain parts of town

9. That I can run safely in and around my neighborhood

10. The people of my fair city...overall they're GREAT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 03:41 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,714,960 times
Default and here's a few of mine ...

That I can get to a beach in less than 20 minutes, lie on the sand all day and never hear a boom box anywhere.

Water, water, water everywhere, river, lakes, streams, ocean.

Hibiscus and bougainvillea, my favs.

Strangers engage you in conversation on the street and never try to mug you or sell you a $20 rolex that is not really a rolex.

That you can usually find a parking space just about anywhere without having to drive round and round. And you don't have to pay to park at shopping malls.

That hurricanes are usually heading in another direction defying the weatherman.

I can ride my bike for miles and miles and never have to change gears to go uphill.

That I can wear shorts and sandals in the winter.

Publix, the friendliest (if not the cheapest) supermarket in the country.

A short ride to St. Augustine, a relaxing, quaint, historic city.

Southern hospitality. Jacksonville, it's a good feeling!

Old 08-16-2008, 06:07 PM

22,169 posts, read 29,135,431 times
Kanki and the small family owned Italian restaurant on San Marco's??? Not sure about that street name anymore. That's what I miss about Jville and thats it

Old 08-16-2008, 07:51 PM

530 posts, read 1,452,912 times
1. The Bridges
2. Rivers Ocean
3. Mild winter Fall and Spring
4. Proximity to other popular destinations.
5. Azealas Cameals
6. Hummingbirds other wildlife
7. Less traffic
8. People tend to be more friendly
9. Airport easy to get in and out.
10. Jaguars.

Old 08-16-2008, 11:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
1) Jax is a little more rough around the edges than some other parts of Florida, we're definitely part of the Dirty South !

2) The line between South Georgia and North Florida blurs a bit around here, I like that .

3) The mosaic of neighborhoods that is Jacksonville.

4) Architecture of Jax. In an afternoon's drive, I can see examples of Craftsman, Colonial, Prairie, Mission, Deco, Postwar, Shotgun...we've got it all .

5) The intricacies of the Sweet Tea experience .

6) The scent of magnolias in the spring.

7) Spanish moss dripping from Live Oaks, is there anything more atmospheric?

8) Seeing Ibis on any given day. The history of these birds travels far back in time. It's pretty amazing to see them today much as they were then:

The Sacred Ibis was an object of religious veneration in ancient Egypt, particularly associated with the god, Thoth. At the town of Hermopolis, ibises were reared specifically for sacrificial purposes and in the Serapeum at Saqqara, archaeologists found the mummies of one and a half million ibises and hundreds of thousands of falcons.[1]

Along with the ibis, seeing hawks, falcons, egrets, herons, pelicans...we're very fortunate in the bird department .

9) Tree frogs. Could they be any cuter?

10) Bright blue skies just about every day .

Old 08-17-2008, 01:48 AM

530 posts, read 1,452,912 times
RIVEREE I forgot the spanish moss and oak trees here it has been written in many gardens books that oaks are at there most magnificant status in North Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville