Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:43 PM

20 posts, read 53,378 times

Advertisements

So I've read through a good chunk of this forum and spoken to some people I know living in Jacksonville, and it appears the consensus is that Jacksonville is a city that *requires* a car. Nevertheless - partly due to stubbornness and partly due to practical considerations - it looks like I may be moving there without a car and without getting one in the foreseeable future.

So, feel free to comment on how silly that is, but if you could pair those comments with tidbits of useful information as well, it'd be greatly appreciated. For the moment, my primary concern is finding a place to live, so here is some relevant information:

Dates not 100% set yet, but I'd likely be looking to move in mid-June or early July.

I'm a single male, age 31.

I will be working on the bus line (B7 line near the Citibank stop; L7 line near the Deerwood Center stop) and will be working something close to normal hours (so both routes should be running during my work hours, even on weekends).

I am looking to spend approximately $1,000 or less (with some flexibility, depending on the place) monthly, preferably with some or all of the utilities included. High-speed internet would have to be available (though not necessarily included).

Ideally, I would prefer a 2-bedroom apartment, but if everything else is suitable (location, cost, etc.) a 1-bedroom is a possibility. I'm thinking that an apartment complex of some sort is most likely, given my available rental range and preferences, but am open to any possibility. If a house exists in an area that would fit for my price range, I wouldn't be opposed to it. I don't have any pets.

As you may have guessed (from the fact I am moving to Jax without a car), I'd prefer a more urban setting. I'd need to keep my daily commute to an hour (max) or less (preferably 30 minutes or under) each way, but keep in mind this will be an hour (or less) on the bus, so the range is less than it would be for someone driving.

I have no children, so the quality of local schools is not really a concern.

I'd love to live near the Ocean, if that is a realistic option. If, however, it isn't, I'd like to be somewhere where there is water accessible and (preferably) near the K2 bus line, so I could get to the beach relatively easily.

So things that would be nice to have within walking distance (somewhat in order of importance):
  • Supermarket (ideally open 24/7)
  • Pharmacy/Drug Store
  • (Independent) Movie Theater
  • Clean/Safe Park
  • Live Music Venue (almost any type of music)
  • Deli (if not included in supermarket)
  • Non-chain Restaurants (including someplace open late, even if only bar food or whatever)
  • Public Library
  • Bank
  • Other things I can't think of at the moment.
  • Bars/Clubs/"Nightlife" (mainly for when friends visit)

I think that's it, at least to start. If any more information would be useful, feel free to ask and if there is something that doesn't quite "fit" but that you think deserves consideration anyway, by all means share. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 06:08 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
IMO Riverside or San Marco would probably be the best fit as both have a lot of bus traffic. I don't believe living at the beach would be possible because of the bus situation. Most rentals in Riverside or San Marco would be by owner.
Supermarket..................... Riverside, don't think San Marco has one yet. Publix is planned
Pharmacy/Drug Store......... Riverside, San Marco-
Movie Theater ..................Riverside, San Marco
Clean/Safe Park ................Riverside, San Marco
Live Music Venue ..............Riverside, San Marco
Deli .................................Riverside, San Marco
Non-chain Restaurants .......Riverside, San Marco
Bank ...............................Riverside, San Marco
Bars/Clubs/"Nightlife" ..........Riverside, San Marco

The Baymeadows area is another possibility but its pretty spread out along Baymeadows Rd. 4 miles from one end to the other.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:36 PM

705 posts, read 1,575,366 times
Quote:
I will be working on the bus line (B7 line near the Citibank stop; L7 line near the Deerwood Center stop)
What part of town is that? Closest major intersection?

Old 05-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Not really sure of the "part" of town - Deerwood maybe? Baymeadows? It's close to something called "Deerwood Center" on Google.

Closest major intersection is probably 95 and Bay Meadows Road, Philips Hwy and Bay Meadows Road, or maybe 95 and Butler Blvd.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
<snip>
Most rentals in Riverside or San Marco would be by owner.
<snip>
Thanks for the input!

Is a local real estate agent the best way to locate these by-owner rentals remotely (from out of state)? Or would there be something online that could be just as effective?

Old 05-29-2011, 09:23 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,508,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalman B View Post
Thanks for the input!

Is a local real estate agent the best way to locate these by-owner rentals remotely (from out of state)? Or would there be something online that could be just as effective?
Craigslist maybe, try this link... jacksonville apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist
... but just usually found by driving by and seeing a yard sign, in your case word of mouth. I go to Riverside every morning just about to get breakfast and I see at least 15 rental properties with yard signs.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:20 PM

65 posts, read 198,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
Deerwood is probably the deerwood area off Southside and Gate Pkwy / JTB Intersection, and only Citibank I know of in town is the main office that is off Old St. Augustine road.

If that's the case if you are looking in the Southside area you might want to try some of the apartments that's off Touchton Rd. I think it has everything you are looking for on your list. minus the live music venue.

Here are some that might fit what you are looking for.

The Wimberly at Deerwood
The Wimberly at Deerwood Apartments For Rent in Jacksonville, Florida - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

54 Magnolia at Deerwood
54 Magnolia at Deerwood Park Apartments For Rent in Jacksonville, Florida - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

Old 05-31-2011, 12:09 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
The traffic in Jacksonville is awful but living there without a car would be worse. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:48 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
The only two areas that lend themselves to your criteria (of amenities within walking distance) are Riverside and maybe Jax Beach. Unfortunately, your job location makes either neighborhood extremely inconvenient. It would be a HUGE hassle to ride the bus from Riverside to Baymeadows. Frankly, from the beaches it would be next to impossible - you'd probably need 3 or 4 transfers.

If you are willing to be an avid cyclist, I might suggest living somewhere near the intersection of Baymeadows and Southside blvd, where there are numerous apartment buildings and retail stores. To be clear, it's in the middle of sprawl-burbia. Nothing would be in walking distance. But your office + most major amenities would probably be in reasonable biking distance. Plus it's super flat, so easy to bike.

Old 05-31-2011, 02:53 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,742 times
Also, in case anyone is interested, here is a guide to living car free in Jax

Car-Free in Jacksonville

It's written by a local law professor who apparently manages to be car free despite living in Mandarin and working on the Southside. It's interesting, and worth a read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville