Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 10:23 AM

367 posts, read 695,291 times

Advertisements

As I am used to blizzards and earthquakes, what is the chance this storm will impact Jacksonville? Should I do anything to prepare?

I will become an old pro after the first one; I just have no clue since the only experience with tropical storms/hurricanes that I have is watching Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 10:44 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
the most entertaining will be the local newscasters
$5 or a cheese pizza that they start talking about the tornado that came through NW Jax in I think 2004

depending on where it comes up form the south we could be on the east or west side of the storm
the east side is where the big rains & storms are

Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Looking at the current path, we should see some good wind and rain action by Thursday, but I don't see anything to worry about beyond that.

It's making landfall in South Florida (Keys), so it will be weakened by the time it reaches us.

Keep an eye on the news for progress though, these storms can change paths.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:48 AM

702 posts, read 2,184,717 times
Just make sure there is noting loose around your home that can blow away or cause damage and keep your pets indoors. This will be noting more than winds (est around 60 or 50 mph) and a lot of rain. The main problem will be the fact that our grounds are already saturated from rains this weekend and early this week.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM

36 posts, read 126,733 times
I don't see many problems, the news people are acting like this storm will be a cat 5 storm that will hit us directly. We are going to get rain, wind and some slight damage. But that's about it.

Just be careful driving in the weather.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:39 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
here is an interesting site I got from my nephew
it is the storm tracking from the navy
Navy/NRL Tropical Cyclone Page (http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/tc_pages/tc08/ATL/06L.FAY/ssmi/gif/full/Latest.html - broken link)

Old 08-18-2008, 02:26 PM

859 posts, read 3,616,779 times
If Fay hits Jax full strength, it's got radioclown's name all over it for being the newbie in town

Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 PM

367 posts, read 695,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
If Fay hits Jax full strength, it's got radioclown's name all over it for being the newbie in town
Oh yeah, sure, blame it all on me!!! It is bad enough my wife blames me for everything!! Global warming...MY FAULT!! The Bush Administration....DID IT!!! The cat getting arrested nine times, killing four attack crocs and nine guard dogs.........BLAME ME!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 02:56 PM

147 posts, read 559,158 times
If you live in an area that has frequent power outages, (ask your neighbors), you may want to charge your cell phone, stock up on a few gallons of water and some canned items....unless you have gas for cooking...if so, this is the time to clean out your freezer! Usually we dont loose water...just electricity...unless you're on a well.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:55 PM

870 posts, read 2,178,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioclown View Post
As I am used to blizzards and earthquakes, what is the chance this storm will impact Jacksonville? Should I do anything to prepare?

I will become an old pro after the first one; I just have no clue since the only experience with tropical storms/hurricanes that I have is watching Jim Cantore on the Weather Channel..
Do not plan any trips to the San Marcho area. It usually is flooded (especially around Nemours). Or have they fixed those problems?

I'll probably make sure I have a few extra cans of food and bottles of water hanging around. I fell for the extra batteries line one time, so I'm set with all of those C and D batteries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville