Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
BlueWillowPlate or anyone else on Amelia Island, can you comment on flooding issues on Amelia? Thanks.
What do you want to know?
AFAIK, on the island, there was no flooding from Fay.
However, this is not to say that the levels of the river and retention ponds haven't risen.
And as it is, they have already been working on a beach renourishment. I have my doubts about how useful or lang-lasting such a project is, but I don't really know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 12:55 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,241,519 times
Our home is just north of the Sawgrass Country Club (across A1A from the Sawgrass Village). It is rented longterm. Our tenant emailed me yesterday that the two lagoons in our neighborhood, normally separated by a road, became one and several homes were flooded. Ours wasn't and there were no power outages, but the wind blew water into the space between the outer wall and the inside wallboard and it has seeped into the master bedroom and closet. The carpet (1.5 years old) along the wall is very wet. The tenants had to move into the other bedroom. They called ServPro and the insurance company, so we'll see ...

But at least the home wasn't flooded, there are no other damages, just limbs and leaves everywhere, and nobody was injured. That's most important.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:36 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
Where I am in St. Augustine, we had much wind and rain, just as everyone else. In my condo complex there was no flooding, some units reported some leakage, but all we had was a soffit flapping away over our front door. We lost power for about 1.5 hours on Thursday ( I think it was Thursday), but we have FP&L, not JEA. I don't believe we had widespread power outages like Jax experienced.

Gosh riveree, no power for all those days. YUK!

I am very glad to hear everyone is ok. I think the wind was worse than when Charlie blew through in 2004.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Wow, Riv, that must have been tough, all that time with no AC.
That was what I had been dreading (I had my husband frantically searching--unsuccessfully--for a battery-powered fan.)
Yeah, I went looking for a battery-powered fan too, but couldn't find one. We already had 2 of those tiny battery powered personal fans, so we used them a bit.

I did find these big portable batteries - sort of like a marine battery - and you can plug all kinds of appliances (such as a fan) into them and the battery lasts up to 22 hours. The battery costs less than $100 - cheaper than a generator and much quieter, also no fumes, so I'm looking into those further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy81 View Post
Just inquiring if this type of weather happens alot down there, if so, where is it best not to relocate? I was looking along the sides of Riverside...thanks
This was pretty unusual, Cathy. Most storms pass over us much more quickly, this was an atypical storm. I think one of the many lessons learned from this storm is that people need to take care of their trees. Trees knocked down a lot of power lines. Last fall, I spend $4000 on tree work on my property, so I understand the expense, but if you have big trees, it's a necessary expense and it benefits the entire neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
Our home is just north of the Sawgrass Country Club (across A1A from the Sawgrass Village). It is rented longterm. Our tenant emailed me yesterday that the two lagoons in our neighborhood, normally separated by a road, became one and several homes were flooded. Ours wasn't and there were no power outages, but the wind blew water into the space between the outer wall and the inside wallboard and it has seeped into the master bedroom and closet. The carpet (1.5 years old) along the wall is very wet. The tenants had to move into the other bedroom. They called ServPro and the insurance company, so we'll see ...

But at least the home wasn't flooded, there are no other damages, just limbs and leaves everywhere, and nobody was injured. That's most important.
CBB, sorry to hear about that . Hopefully it can be sealed up well and it won't happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Where I am in St. Augustine, we had much wind and rain, just as everyone else. In my condo complex there was no flooding, some units reported some leakage, but all we had was a soffit flapping away over our front door. We lost power for about 1.5 hours on Thursday ( I think it was Thursday), but we have FP&L, not JEA. I don't believe we had widespread power outages like Jax experienced.

Gosh riveree, no power for all those days. YUK!

I am very glad to hear everyone is ok. I think the wind was worse than when Charlie blew through in 2004.
Yuk is a good word for it, Agreatlife ! When I moved from a neighborhood with underground wires back into a neighborhood with above ground wires, I knew I was taking this risk. It's just one of the tradeoffs .

I'd glad most everyone had no issues, and even my own wasn't all that bad, it certainly could have been worse.

Last edited by riveree; 08-25-2008 at 09:27 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 PM

530 posts, read 1,459,957 times
I must say I have no complaints, my power stayed on through it all,watched the Olympics all night while peeking out the window,those who had damage I wish you the best and hope things get back to normal asap.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 AM

301 posts, read 1,546,490 times
I think this has been one of the messiest storms we have had.Man all my trees recived agood pruning.Been racking and pickup for days LOL.I last a lot of plants this time.It seams the smaller ones just could hold up under the pounding.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:34 AM

233 posts, read 766,353 times
My house was OK during the storm. I didn't lose power, although there were times that the power almost went out but came back quickly. There was some flooding on my street.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM

197 posts, read 751,820 times
Sorry to hear about all the flooding in your area. Hopefully, things will soon dry out and full power restored to everyone.

We live in Washington State and plan to relocate to Florida.

One of the areas we are looking at is the Mandarin area of Jascksonville, around English Moss Lane. Was there any flooding in this area?

Thanks - and thinking of all of you.

iuki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville