U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2008, 05:03 AM

4,201 posts, read 12,115,347 times

Advertisements

The third annual Pet Walk, sponsored by the Florida Theatre, will be a part of next Wednesday's Art Walk downtown.

Link to the Art Walk
Downtown Jacksonville : Directory Detail : First Wednesday Art Walk Headquarters (http://www.downtownjacksonville.org/directory/detail/2215/ - broken link)
(click on the hotlink September 3)

A link to the Art Walk map
http://www.downtownjacksonville.org/_images/_documents/AW/Sep-Map.pdf (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 PM

8,204 posts, read 31,555,612 times
So how does this work?

Do they let the dogs inside the buildings?

And what happens if, say, your dog eats a corner off of one of the paintings?

Old 08-30-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
So how does this work?
To be honest, I don't know all the details -- last year I was new to Art Walkin', so I was still absorbing downtown Jacksonville and the whole Art Walk concept. I do remember quite a few dogs walking around (on leashes of course.)

Quote:
Do they let the dogs inside the buildings?
Again, not sure of the details, but I do remember dogs on stage at the Florida Theatre (doing tricks? looking cute?) As for the other galleries, I don't remember if dogs were inside admiring art. I will guess that MOCA and the Library are off limits, but some of the smaller independent galleries do let dogs get some culture.

Quote:
And what happens if, say, your dog eats a corner off of one of the paintings?
...or worse (especially canine males having the propensity for marking out their territory :-)

Feeling adventurous and knowing that much of Jacksonville is dog-friendly, my pooch and I will give it go. I/we will report back afterwards.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:01 PM

71 posts, read 256,778 times
I was wondering some of the same things Riveree asked (but my earlier post didn't post!). I'm going to check it out with my dog, too. I saw dogs walking around outside at the last Art Walk, but not in any of the galleries. My dog's little, so I hope that I can bring her in some places by carrying her. Otherwise, we'll hang out outside.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:27 AM

Default Update - attended Art Walk/Pet Walk

I would say there were 100+ dogs in or around the Florida Theatre yesterday evening -- every size and type from one no bigger than a kitten to a Beethoven-like St Bernard. I didn't hear nor see one altercation.

The theatre sponsored an informal contest in five or six categories for Mr. Florida Theatre, Mrs. Florida Theatre, Feline (yes! there were cats!), Silly Tricks, and Best Rescue Story. We were just getting the lay of the land this time, so my dog and I didn't participate, but instead watched from the audience. (As an FYI -- small dogs don't weigh enough to sit in the folding seats without getting folded up -- oops.)

There were quite a few dogs strolling the streets of downtown, and they were welcome at The Art Center and the old Library and, probably, at some/most of the other galleries (not certain since the two venues mentioned were the only ones we visited this time.)

Culminating the night was dinner -- we went to the Plaza III, but they don't have a permit to allow dogs. However, since it was a quiet night there, they reluctantly allowed us in their outside dining area. But we got the message that they weren't thrilled when no server showed. Instead, we went to the Landing and were welcomed by Benny's Steakhouse. Hooters also allows dogs in their outside dining - didn't inquire at Vito's so can't comment about that. London Bridge on Ocean also allows dogs outside.

The Art Walk/Pet Walk will definitely be on our list for next year. The Florida Theatre was full of vendors - clothing, food, rescue groups, etc, so even if you don't want to venture with your dog, it's worth visiting.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 PM

Wow, sounds like a fun night! 100 dogs is quite a turnout for a weeknight downtown.

Maybe they'll advertise this better next year, I would not have known about it had you not mentioned it.

As for the Plaza III, I can understand not having a permit to allow dogs inside, but I thought dogs were allowed at all outdoor cafes - I didn't think a restaurant could tell you no?

Old 09-05-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Wow, sounds like a fun night! 100 dogs is quite a turnout for a weeknight downtown.
And add to that the large crowd of dogless folks who also attended on a weeknight!

Quote:
Maybe they'll advertise this better next year, I would not have known about it had you not mentioned it.
I wish there was a home-delivered monthly calendar of all activities in and around Jacksonville. I love Folio and Jacksonville Magazine, but these publications are so full of other things that I rarely get through them in one sitting (and I don't always get the Folio since I have to go looking for it at some distribution spot.) ummm here's a hint for someone looking for an entrepreneurial adventure - come up with a monthly calendar publication delivered by mail to subscribers, gathering from all the resources out there (hardcopy sources and online sources) to put all activities in one place ... but oh wait, the monthly calendar would be so thick it would rival a phone book.

Quote:
As for the Plaza III, I can understand not having a permit to allow dogs inside, but I thought dogs were allowed at all outdoor cafes - I didn't think a restaurant could tell you no?
As I understand it, the ordinance gives all restaurants the right to allow dogs in outside dining areas, but the restaurants need to apply for a permit. What's involved with permitting, I don't know, and perhaps it's difficult and requires jumping through hoops, or perhaps the Plaza has just been too lazy to apply.

Old 09-05-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
And add to that the large crowd of dogless folks who also attended on a weeknight!

I wish there was a home-delivered monthly calendar of all activities in and around Jacksonville. I love Folio and Jacksonville Magazine, but these publications are so full of other things that I rarely get through them in one sitting (and I don't always get the Folio since I have to go looking for it at some distribution spot.) ummm here's a hint for someone looking for an entrepreneurial adventure - come up with a monthly calendar publication delivered by mail to subscribers, gathering from all the resources out there (hardcopy sources and online sources) to put all activities in one place ... but oh wait, the monthly calendar would be so thick it would rival a phone book.

As I understand it, the ordinance gives all restaurants the right to allow dogs in outside dining areas, but the restaurants need to apply for a permit. What's involved with permitting, I don't know, and perhaps it's difficult and requires jumping through hoops, or perhaps the Plaza has just been too lazy to apply.

Or a really great website (save some trees ). I know some people have tried to put together a calendar, but no one is all-inclusive, so you have to end up looking at multiple sources anyway. The city could expand on their Downtown Jacksonville website , let everyone submit their events to the city and have one central place for it all.

As for the permit, places like Starbucks and Tijuana Flats allow dogs in their outdoor cafes, so it can't be that hard .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville