U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-11-2008, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville
238 posts, read 544,883 times
Reputation: 159
Default Mayport Shrimp

So, where exactly can you go to get fresh "Mayport" shrimp? (besides Publix) Is there an actual pier or place near Mayport where you can drive to and buy right off the boat or at a seaside market?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 PM
 
859 posts, read 2,410,874 times
Reputation: 245
Safe Harbor Seafood Market 4378 Ocean St # 3, Atlantic Beach (904) 246-4911 call to check before you go? They always have shrimp when I go there, but not sure if it's always the Mayport variety. our local shrimp business is tough right now due to cost of operation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2008, 07:16 AM
 
Location: St. Augustine FL
1,641 posts, read 3,341,749 times
Reputation: 2349
Why do you object to Publix fresh Mayport shrimp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2008, 01:20 PM
 
Location: on an island
13,313 posts, read 29,339,598 times
Reputation: 12609
I've gotten what was supposedly Mayport shrimp from roadside stands, etc, but it was the same price as Publix with the heads still on.
Publix works for me.
PS I know there is supposed to be a lot of flavor in the head, but I just don't like it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2008, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
159 posts, read 448,217 times
Reputation: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I've gotten what was supposedly Mayport shrimp from roadside stands, etc, but it was the same price as Publix with the heads still on.
Publix works for me.
PS I know there is supposed to be a lot of flavor in the head, but I just don't like it
Ewwww! Shrimp heads? Ewwwww! Gross!

You can always net them off a dock at night with a light and a net. Pop the heads, pullleeez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2009, 03:22 PM
 
1 posts, read 9,489 times
Reputation: 10
Default The reshest Shrimp anywhere in Florida

I go to the Clermont Farmers Market every Saturday and buy awesome seafood. Theres a lady who sells the best freshest seafood i have ever had. Well thats unless my husband cought it.. She always has fresh Alantic Shrimp and whole grouper, whole snapper, Fresh Oysters, Clams and fresh cought Florida stone crab claws, and florida lobster. Its truly amazing very resonable prices and i'm so glad i found her at this wonderful Fresh Farmers Market. I eat seafood almost everyday and she takes special orders and even delivers to anywhere in the central florida area. So vist the fresh farmers market on sunday between 10:00 -3:00pm. also the market has very good produce and all kinds of fresh veggis and herbs..I LOVE THE SEAFOOD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,313 posts, read 29,339,598 times
Reputation: 12609
Sounds good, littletip. Especially the oysters.
Since I last posted in this thread, we befriended a shrimp guy and now my husband goes to meet his boat. That's some fresh shrimp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2009, 08:36 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville
120 posts, read 340,553 times
Reputation: 27
I don't know the exact name of where we go to get Mayport shrimp but it is next to Singleton's and the SunCruz and the ferry in Mayport Village. I live in Oceanway so we always ride the ferry over and then drive right to it. It's like a fresh market but beware, sometimes they close early evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 02:20 PM
 
Location: NE Florida
433 posts, read 763,763 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletip View Post
I go to the Clermont Farmers Market every Saturday and buy awesome seafood. Theres a lady who sells the best freshest seafood i have ever had. Well thats unless my husband cought it.. She always has fresh Alantic Shrimp and whole grouper, whole snapper, Fresh Oysters, Clams and fresh cought Florida stone crab claws, and florida lobster. Its truly amazing very resonable prices and i'm so glad i found her at this wonderful Fresh Farmers Market. I eat seafood almost everyday and she takes special orders and even delivers to anywhere in the central florida area. So vist the fresh farmers market on sunday between 10:00 -3:00pm. also the market has very good produce and all kinds of fresh veggis and herbs..I LOVE THE SEAFOOD.
that sounds GREAT!

I love farmers markets........I remember going to some little restaurant closer to mayport when we lived there and we got great seafood. I love getting fresh seafood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2009, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Neptune Beach, FL
1,145 posts, read 1,643,608 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyinJAX View Post
So, where exactly can you go to get fresh "Mayport" shrimp? (besides Publix) Is there an actual pier or place near Mayport where you can drive to and buy right off the boat or at a seaside market?
There is a little Fish Market right next to the Kangaroo that is directly across the street from Ragtime that will have it. If that's not fresh enough, I suggest a boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top