Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:49 AM

27 posts, read 211,155 times

Advertisements

Hi all -

Ok moms (and dads), this one is a tough one because we love our children and the world is not what it once was. A few years back, I knew of some great nannies/sitters/agencies (and a few bad ones too), but in general I was very happy with them. Been away for 4 years and don't know where to start. I have a kindergartener with some mild developmental problems (fine motor skills and "young" for her age compared to most kindergarten kids nowadays --normal for my day). Very easy to care for, well-behaved, happy, respectful. A nanny's dream. Don't really know where to start -- maybe the local mom's club? Have tried one agency I used in the past, but didn't get the results I'd hoped for. Not that one needs an agency, recommendations from friends/moms often worked as well or better. I'd also love to find a mom or reliable daycare who takes kids on Saturdays so they could play and interact.

Also, places near the beach or intracoastal west, or easy access from the beach where kids can play (like a gymboree-type place, pretend play, arts and crafts, etc). Ollie Koalas is ok if there's nothing else, but not really what I'm looking for. My daughter loves dance, but due to developmental skills, wouldn't be the world's greatest dancer, so it would have to be playful stuff, not serious. By the way, is there a way to go to Adventure Landing and just pay for playing putt-putt golf or something of that nature without having to pay a fee for the whole race-track thing?

Any info good or bad is greatly appreciated, and needed. You can contact me directly if you feel more comfortable that way and I'll send my email. Finding someone to care for one's child who is professional and trustworthy is probably one of the hardest things a parent has to do. Thanks for your help and understanding.

Cindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 AM

43 posts, read 170,905 times
Smile Good Question!

I have started looking for just a sitter on the Westside for my 3 year old and one year old boys. My 3 yr old also has some developmental delays, and is rather rambunctious, but is okay in our home setting. I am a SAHM, but would love some time away to do things by myself. I really don't know many people in the area so I am trying to meet other adults while looking for a sitter for those occasional evenings out.

I think you seem to be looking for full-time or part-time daycare, but maybe someone on here will have some places to start. I have looked at an online referral (babysitters.com I think) and I am just not comfortable with those. I would rather have a word of mouth referral.

Last edited by mommy2_3_boys; 09-13-2008 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-15-2008, 01:56 PM

414 posts, read 1,855,982 times
As a former nanny and current part-time babysitter myself, maybe I can be of some assistance. I was hired by all of my families through word of mouth. However, I have had many girlfriends who have been hired by answering ads in the newspaper and on bulletin boards in their college departments. Have you tried here? You can screen your applicants yourself and even do a background check at the police department. I began working for one family because I met the mother at a gymnastics class that the child I was caring for attended. No one is a better judge for your children than you are and you will get an overwhelming response by taking out an ad or posting at a college campus.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:26 PM

27 posts, read 211,155 times
Default finding good nannies, sitters, agencies etc.

Hmmm, thanks for replies and ideas. In the past I always used word of mouth -- references from friends and was very happy with the results. One agency was a joke, another, the first nanny was not acceptable, and the second was wonderful.
I'm a former elementary and preschool teacher, lived in Jax for 20 years and was away for 4 yrs. I suppose if I were to apply for a nanny position, it would be normal for there to be some apprehension/worry as to if I was trustworthy or "normal." That's normal for a parent, and I'd be leary of a parent who wasn't somewhat concerned in that end.
While I was away from Jax, I really needed help as I was a 24/7 caregiver myself for terminally ill family members. I found one good sitter by posting an ad on a church bulletin board, but she required back surgery so could only work until then(a few months and only part time), not a 30-40/hr per week nanny. The first nanny I had (found through advertising in the paper)was great and she worked for me for 9 months, even helped my mom around the house (while she was still living and somewhat healthy) for extra hours. She was like family and very reliable and capable. However, she suddenly "fell off the wagon," and back into a severe drug habit I never knew about (she was my age, 50) and what a shocker that was -- I would have never guessed it in a million years, and how fortunate that it happened when I was there and we avoided what could have been a disasterous situation. Also used an agency there and it was a real joke -- many substance abusers (on the job) and the agency actually defended them.

I tried college students and some other recommendations from community needs-type agencies for children. Not good. The college students really didn't want to work, so their hearts weren't in it--just trying to pick up some bucks. I was a college student myself many years ago, so I realize that their schedules and life circumstances are always changing, as they should be at that stage of one's life, so reliability is often difficult. Not saying this about all, my first nanny in Jax was a college student (night classes) and she was absolutely fantastic -- a professional nanny, wonderful person. The good ones became like family members and were compensated well, as they should be. There's nothing more important than the careiver of your child. I didn't understand this until I became a mom.

I'm sure there are professional nannies out there that are really following their calling and doing what they want to do. It doesn't just mean that one likes children, it takes a lot of common sense, responsibility, creativity, ability to multi-task, etc. If one is a good nanny, they could excel in any position, because it's harder than teaching, and teaching (truly dedicated teaching) is the hardest job one could ever love (except for true parenting). As in teaching, a nanny either has the "knack" for childcare or they don't.. I've always been in awe of a truly "professional" nanny -- they make it seem so easy, because it's their talent.

It's a different world today, and because of my age and experiences, I know of many people, old and young, who have substance abuse problems, aren't trustworthy, or lack common sense. As you said, a parent is the best judge of a caregiver, but things can happen and even a parent can be fooled - it even happens within families. I guess one has to trust in a higher power, do the best they can, and have the time to screen and interview people. Agencies that are good seem to be able to screen out those that won't fit either by availability, experience required, presentation, personality, common sense, checking former references and experience, but it all comes down to the parent. Still -- I'd feel better if I had more personal references from other moms - there's an understanding in that area that only moms can share. I was always an extremely trusting person, but I have seen some stuff over the years that can make one think twice, and it's pretty scary. Still I pray that the good folks are still out there and setting an example for what this world should be. We certainly need and appreciate them. So... Here's to all you good folks!!!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:06 AM

43 posts, read 170,905 times
Just wanted to put this forum out there...I actually found it here on city-data, so I'm sure it's okay to post it... it's jacksonvillemommies.com. I just started posting there and there seems to be some great mom's out there.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:16 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,213,051 times
Default Sitter Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyTer View Post
Hi all -

Ok moms (and dads), this one is a tough one because we love our children and the world is not what it once was. A few years back, I knew of some great nannies/sitters/agencies (and a few bad ones too), but in general I was very happy with them. Been away for 4 years and don't know where to start. I have a kindergartener with some mild developmental problems (fine motor skills and "young" for her age compared to most kindergarten kids nowadays --normal for my day). Very easy to care for, well-behaved, happy, respectful. A nanny's dream. Don't really know where to start -- maybe the local mom's club? Have tried one agency I used in the past, but didn't get the results I'd hoped for. Not that one needs an agency, recommendations from friends/moms often worked as well or better. I'd also love to find a mom or reliable daycare who takes kids on Saturdays so they could play and interact.

Also, places near the beach or intracoastal west, or easy access from the beach where kids can play (like a gymboree-type place, pretend play, arts and crafts, etc). Ollie Koalas is ok if there's nothing else, but not really what I'm looking for. My daughter loves dance, but due to developmental skills, wouldn't be the world's greatest dancer, so it would have to be playful stuff, not serious. By the way, is there a way to go to Adventure Landing and just pay for playing putt-putt golf or something of that nature without having to pay a fee for the whole race-track thing?

Any info good or bad is greatly appreciated, and needed. You can contact me directly if you feel more comfortable that way and I'll send my email. Finding someone to care for one's child who is professional and trustworthy is probably one of the hardest things a parent has to do. Thanks for your help and understanding.

Cindy

I can tell you a great website to find a sitter or nanny. Go to www.sittercity.com

My wife and I have found very good babysitters on there, some of whom have taken vacations with us. You can rate the babysitter, and search by zip code and so on. It's been a great site to use and well worth the money.

Old 10-14-2008, 11:49 AM

414 posts, read 1,855,982 times
Default Sitter City is great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I can tell you a great website to find a sitter or nanny. Go to www.sittercity.com

My wife and I have found very good babysitters on there, some of whom have taken vacations with us. You can rate the babysitter, and search by zip code and so on. It's been a great site to use and well worth the money.
I just started babysitting occaisonally for a family I met through sittercity.com. It was so easy to look and apply for jobs. There were new postings everyday from families. It was painless and I found a job in two weeks!!

Old 10-20-2008, 12:08 AM

200 posts, read 616,169 times
WOW! Thanks for the sittercity.com suggestion..I'll have to spread the word..that's awesome thinking!

Old 08-23-2010, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 4,490 times
Try "Kids By The Hour". I love it there, so do my little ones! Drop-in, open late and weekends!
Our mommy's group drops off and we go shopping LOL!
They have been on the news, with an A+ rating several times. They also have full-time care and VPK.
To many great things to list...out of time. Good Luck
kidsbythehour.com
P.S. They have 2 locations, the one on Beach Blvd. is very near Adventure Landing and the Beach

Old 08-26-2010, 04:37 PM

4 posts, read 7,657 times
I worked as a nanny for a good many years in Jacksonville. My recommendation would Sharon Edmiston of Jax Nannies. She owns the company and is very good. She thoroughly screens her nanny. I worked for her agency as a nanny until I retired and moved to Georgia. I would highly recommend her. Effie Bell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville