U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 07:29 AM

754 posts, read 1,800,023 times

Advertisements

He was waiting in the parking lot for me with roses (I was thinking...creepy).

Yeah, really. Any guy who's thoughtful enough to bring flowers must have something wrong with him, right?

I met my wife through the personals 14 years ago, when I was still in college (she was not in college, as she's three years older than I am). I had met two girls through the personals before her, and they were nice girls...but the chemistry was wrong. Third time was a charm, though.

In my view, online dating is a good way to meet people if you're willing to take things slowly. Yes, you will undoubtedly meet people who aren't right for you (or vice versa). Yes, you will likely meet a couple/few of them who are just out for a "casual encounter". Maybe you'll find the person you are looking for, and maybe you won't. But I suspect it will at least help you determine exactly what you seek in a person, because many of us think we know what we want...but sometimes find out later that there are other things we didn't think about.

Another option, if you are spiritual, is through church singles groups. Like online dating, it's not foolproof. But you can at least start with the premise that you share at least one thing in common (God), and see where that leads.

Anywho, that's my take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 08:56 PM

159 posts, read 462,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
He was waiting in the parking lot for me with roses (I was thinking...creepy).

Yeah, really. Any guy who's thoughtful enough to bring flowers must have something wrong with him, right?

Well actually Joninclay, he was supposed to meet me at the entrance of the restuarant and he came walking up behind me when I got out of my car with one hand behind his back. When I commented on it he explained that "Aw, he always checks 'em out when they get out of their car and if they are a dog he drives off". I stand on my comment: Creepy.

I met my wife through the personals 14 years ago, when I was still in college (she was not in college, as she's three years older than I am). I had met two girls through the personals before her, and they were nice girls...but the chemistry was wrong. Third time was a charm, though.

Are you referencing the local newspaper Personals Ads? My niece met her husband through them.

In my view, online dating is a good way to meet people if you're willing to take things slowly. Yes, you will undoubtedly meet people who aren't right for you (or vice versa). Yes, you will likely meet a couple/few of them who are just out for a "casual encounter". Maybe you'll find the person you are looking for, and maybe you won't. But I suspect it will at least help you determine exactly what you seek in a person, because many of us think we know what we want...but sometimes find out later that there are other things we didn't think about.

Another option, if you are spiritual, is through church singles groups. Like online dating, it's not foolproof. But you can at least start with the premise that you share at least one thing in common (God), and see where that leads.

Anywho, that's my take.
Thanks for your take. I'll check with the local church (haven't spotted one yet here on Southside) and find out if they have any singles groups.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:23 PM

90 posts, read 129,555 times
i'm not suprised. jax had to get recognition somehow right? hey, atleast it didnt get these honors of other florida cities:

america's worst drivers - miami
worst road rage - miami
america's angriest city - orlando
america's 2nd angriest city - tampa
4th longest commute in america - orlando

Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 AM

Well actually Joninclay, he was supposed to meet me at the entrance of the restuarant and he came walking up behind me when I got out of my car with one hand behind his back. When I commented on it he explained that "Aw, he always checks 'em out when they get out of their car and if they are a dog he drives off". I stand on my comment: Creepy.

OK, you didn't mention that in your original post. I would agree with you on that "drive off" creepiness thingy. I always had a different take: I didn't care what she looked like. If she had taken time out of her schedule to meet me, then the least I could do is spend a few minutes talking to her. Either we would hit it off or we wouldn't...no harm, no foul.

Are you referencing the local newspaper Personals Ads? My niece met her husband through them.

Yes, the newspaper personals. It was in 1994, probably a year or two before the Internet became so widespread in popularity. I actually think the online personals are better, in that pictures (not to mention more than a 30-word description) can be used to include/exclude more candidates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandShark99 View Post
Thanks for your take. I'll check with the local church (haven't spotted one yet here on Southside) and find out if they have any singles groups.
If I may suggest, try Crossroad United Methodist on Gate Parkway. I joined them in 1998. Great church, great music, and great groups.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:36 PM

[/quote]If I may suggest, try Crossroad United Methodist on Gate Parkway. I joined them in 1998. Great church, great music, and great groups.[/quote]

Thanks but I'm not Methodist.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:09 AM

If I may suggest, try Crossroad United Methodist on Gate Parkway. I joined them in 1998. Great church, great music, and great groups.[/quote]

Thanks but I'm not Methodist.[/quote]
If I may ask (and you don't have to answer, of course), are you Christian? If so, Crossroad is still a viable option for you for the singles group. If I'm not mistaken, you don't have to be a member there to attend the singles group events.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:40 PM

3 posts, read 10,377 times
We're out ranked by Kansas City AND Milwaukee?????????

That's it, now I'm really moving!!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodylookingtomove View Post
We're out ranked by Kansas City AND Milwaukee?????????

That's it, now I'm really moving!!
Hey wait a sec. I just found the local singles groups and they're way fun! I'll DM you. Jax isn't devoid of stuff for singles to do after all.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:44 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,418,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroQuest View Post
i'm not suprised. jax had to get recognition somehow right? hey, atleast it didnt get these honors of other florida cities:

america's worst drivers - miami
worst road rage - miami
america's angriest city - orlando
america's 2nd angriest city - tampa
4th longest commute in america - orlando
The only thing I really like about Jacksonville are the abundance of rock stations on the radio - there is a total absence of garbage hip hop and few, maybe one or two Spanish stations. The complete opposite of Miami. Oh, yea, the oysters are good in the cold months, if your libido needs a lift.

Everything else about Jacksonville I don't like. A burned out, ghettoized downtown with absolutely nothing except for a couple decaying hospitals, and a landscape that is too reminiscent of Georgia or the Carolinas; not Florida.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
The only thing I really like about Jacksonville are the abundance of rock stations on the radio - there is a total absence of garbage hip hop and few, maybe one or two Spanish stations. The complete opposite of Miami. Oh, yea, the oysters are good in the cold months, if your libido needs a lift.

Everything else about Jacksonville I don't like. A burned out, ghettoized downtown with absolutely nothing except for a couple decaying hospitals, and a landscape that is too reminiscent of Georgia or the Carolinas; not Florida.
I think the radio stations are the pitts. I miss the HOG that I used to get in Palm Coast. I think they were out of Daytona.

I just moved to Southside and I'm loving it. We're all just hoping Town Center will spur some night life around here.

I've always said North FL is really South GA. I think many of the locals crossed the state line back when....

Jax doesn't make me feel like I'm in FL at all. But I know I am and that the beach is a short drive so I console myself with that thought.

Look around at Orlando, Daytona, Tampa. They've gone downhill with many areas turning into ghettos. I call it the city, ya know? I've lived in them all and seen it.

I must say though when looking around for a place to live here I was shocked by many areas that I drove into. I kept thinking surely I would find the decent areas...I ended up renting an apt. I can see finding a decent 'hood here is going to take some time.

Boils down to accept it or move on, ya know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville