U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,926 times

Advertisements

Hello Local Jax people! My partners and I need your feedback. We are now in the process of putting together a Down Town night life venue, fresh for down town.
There will be 3 venues in one location... however that's all we can say for now. One of the Venues will be a Lounge. Being from New York and traveling across the US to different cities and especially Vegas, I can honestly say that Jacksonville's true "Lounge Bar" scene is severely lacking.

Our goal is to bring you an upscale relaxing lounge to the Down Town area where you can come enjoy drinks and cocktails but not pay the same you would at a NY or Vegas Style lounge. We want to give you the atmosphere but not the cost.

We have architects and designers that will be helping us with the designing, however we know the best way to put in what the city will enjoy and use, is to ask all of you.

We would greatly appreciate you're feedback as to what you would like to see in a real "Lounge" in you're down town area.

Here are some of the things we will be incorporating:
* The Lounge will be fitted with a small stage inside to host different venues and live music such as, Jazz, Acoustic, Open-Mic-Night, Poetry and so on.
* Aside from Drinks and Cocktails we will be serving wine, food, and basic dishes such as finger foods, hourderves and such. No 3 course meals.
* It will be a non-smoking establishment, however we hope to have a sizeable outside courtyard where you can also lounge and enjoy your cigars and cigarettes.

These are just some of the things we will be implementing... what do you think about this so far and what more would you like to see?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 02:32 PM

859 posts, read 3,377,671 times
question is, does down town need this.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:04 PM

117 posts, read 386,520 times
Yes, downtown needs this. Everything downtown seems to be a dance club, not a lounge. If there were a place like Wall Street lounge (in 5 points) only "nicer" and had draft beer (a wide selection of microbrews and imports would be stellar). I'd also greatly appreciate a place that didn't play the same crappy top-40 dance music, I'd be all over it. Get a unique DJ and/or a sweet jukebox with everything from classic prog-rock to underground hip-hop in it. Put my butt in a classic club chair with a pint of IPA in my hand while I listen to the sounds of The Bad Plus and I'm in heaven!

Old 09-17-2008, 10:07 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,291,397 times
If it's going to be a mellow scene and the art can be displayed safely, I'd like to see the work of local artists on the wall (with prices shown).

Definitely a smoking area somewhere, that's a very good idea.

Definitely a DJ at patron level. It's nice when the DJ is right there at eye level, not behind glass. It gives a feel of being in a private party instead of a dance club.

Nice loungy furniture - cozy sofas and chairs arranged in small groups.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:01 PM

159 posts, read 613,743 times
Let's start from getting there. Will it be easy find and get to from various areas of the city? Near an interstate? How about a Taxi stand for those who don't need to drive? I bet the drivers would be game.

Parking: Please make it plentiful and well lit so that us ladies feel safe to come and go. Valet Parking would be a plus.

Ladies Room: Lots of stalls, well lit, chairs, seat sheets are a must, a wall with a bar across it mirrored and lighted so that primpers can primp while those wanting to wash their hands can actually do so without being held up by the primpers. Yes, we need to primp - lots! It would be great to have more than one Ladies Room. An attendant would be a bonus. We hate dirty restrooms.

Games and other distractions: Computer games bar top and here and there, there are a zillion things to keep people occupied and in place. Use your imagination. I liked Billy Bobs in Ft. Worth. You could stroll from bar to bar stopping in the little shops, having a pioneer photo taken, watch the bull riding...Wow, the entertainment was never ending. You could hardly pry yourself away, there was just so much to see and do. I guess what I'm saying is "Variety" please. Keep us entertained. That's what we come for.
You'll have a variety of patrons so cater to it.

Thanks for opening a club here and asking what we want!

My 2 cents.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:56 AM

4,539 posts, read 13,490,524 times
Potential patrons have voiced great ideas - location, parking, fresh-n-new environment, etc. But as well, make it an establishment that entices a staff who wants to work there -- for me, there's nothing more uninviting than a bartender who just goes through the motions and appears like he/she would rather be somewhere else or a server who mutely plops down the drinks and moves on.

All things considered, I guess a top priority for me would be free and convenient parking. If your property lacks the space, perhaps you could align with a nearby company's lot for free after-hours parking. Or something like that.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:10 AM

117 posts, read 386,520 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but CURRENTLY, most parking downtown is free on evenings and weekends. Word on the street is that certain powers are trying to change that, but we'll see...there would be some serious outrage amongst several downtown businesses and patrons if that were to change.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:33 AM

4,539 posts, read 13,490,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE4309 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but CURRENTLY, most parking downtown is free on evenings and weekends. Word on the street is that certain powers are trying to change that, but we'll see...there would be some serious outrage amongst several downtown businesses and patrons if that were to change.
Basically, yes, you are correct. I think on-street is free after 6 (or is it 5pm?) and on weekends. Some downtown lots/garages are never free, especially some near the Times-Union and the Landing. I've heard tell that parking at the courthouse is free after hours, but I can't confirm that.

All this does bring up the confusion and inconsistency which can contribute to choosing not to drive into downtown for anything.

Seriously, the last thing downtown needs is charging for parking after business hours ... geesh!

Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,222,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
If it's going to be a mellow scene and the art can be displayed safely, I'd like to see the work of local artists on the wall (with prices shown).

Definitely a smoking area somewhere, that's a very good idea.

Definitely a DJ at patron level. It's nice when the DJ is right there at eye level, not behind glass. It gives a feel of being in a private party instead of a dance club.

Nice loungy furniture - cozy sofas and chairs arranged in small groups.
+1. One of the things I miss living in an urban city is these type of DJ lounges. Not clubs, but somewhere you can drink, talk, mingle, etc that has the DJ right in the mix of everyone else. People sometimes dance in place (no dance floor) if they want, but its not that type of party usually. More chill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Seriously, the last thing downtown needs is charging for parking after business hours ... geesh!
Or ever. Honestly with a downtown like Jax, they should be throwing parking at everyone for free or at least HIGHLY discounted during the day. For instance, The Landing charges an absurd amount to park there.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:41 PM

2,164 posts, read 3,326,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsterBiz View Post
Hello Local Jax people! My partners and I need your feedback. We are now in the process of putting together a Down Town night life venue, fresh for down town.
There will be 3 venues in one location... however that's all we can say for now. One of the Venues will be a Lounge. Being from New York and traveling across the US to different cities and especially Vegas, I can honestly say that Jacksonville's true "Lounge Bar" scene is severely lacking.

Our goal is to bring you an upscale relaxing lounge to the Down Town area where you can come enjoy drinks and cocktails but not pay the same you would at a NY or Vegas Style lounge. We want to give you the atmosphere but not the cost.

We have architects and designers that will be helping us with the designing, however we know the best way to put in what the city will enjoy and use, is to ask all of you.

We would greatly appreciate you're feedback as to what you would like to see in a real "Lounge" in you're down town area.

Here are some of the things we will be incorporating:
* The Lounge will be fitted with a small stage inside to host different venues and live music such as, Jazz, Acoustic, Open-Mic-Night, Poetry and so on.
* Aside from Drinks and Cocktails we will be serving wine, food, and basic dishes such as finger foods, hourderves and such. No 3 course meals.
* It will be a non-smoking establishment, however we hope to have a sizeable outside courtyard where you can also lounge and enjoy your cigars and cigarettes.

These are just some of the things we will be implementing... what do you think about this so far and what more would you like to see?

Thanks!
I like it all.....throw in the high priced call girls from Vegas and you've got yourself a winner!! Skip the poetry bit though, just have different styles of music on different nights. I love my city but J'ville has never had the music scene of other locations. We need more places with live music...there is a lot of talent out there that never gets heard because there are simply not enough venues for everyone to play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville