Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 09:35 AM

11 posts, read 45,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I had read recently that the military actually only employs 5% of Jacksonville's work force, but there's a perception that Jax is a "military town".
From the expandinjax.com
"Military Contributes to Workforce
Sixteen of every hundred Jacksonville-area residents are connected with the Navy, either through active or reserve duty, or as a retiree, civilian employee or member of a military family. This translates into an annual economic impact of $6.1 billion for the local economy. Only Norfolk, Virginia, and San Diego, California, have a higher concentration of Navy personnel. The area's four Navy bases employ more than 56,000 and have a combined annual payroll of $1.59 billion.

Every year, over 4,100 highly trained, mission-oriented personnel exit or retire from military service, and 80 percent of those choose to stay in Jacksonville."

As someone who grew up in Jacksonville in the 60's, I can say that back then there were only 3 reasons for Jacksonville's growth - the military, the port, and the fact that our economy/taxes made us a good choice for headquarters for bank/insurance companies.

Imagine this: Argyle Forest & Oakleaf Plantation were a huge dairy farm. From there going into Orange Park there was a 7-11. My parents considered property on Blanding Blvd for $200 a acre. Middleburg was nothing. Just open country road between Orange park and Middleburg. When you got there if you blinked you missed it. Green Cove springs was a poor little town. The only reason to ever go there was the tiny hospital was closer than anything in Jax.
Orange Park High school was in that little bit right on the corner.

The Southside/Mandarin was a quarter of the size you see now. Switzerland had about 30 house in it.

Jax NAS was commisioned October 15, 1940. During the next 25 years, as it grew, Jacksonville and the surrounding area grew with it. Could it survive the military leaving? Well, sure, it's a major city now. But losing 16% of your population would be a MAJOR hit. Along with that 16% do the trickle down effect. Less school teachers needed, less service sector people needed, less construction due to the glut of housing on the market, which in turn would drop prices like a rock. In all, you're probably talking about 20% of the population leaving Jax. It would probably take Jax at least a decade to recover from that kind of loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 12:01 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicshabcottage View Post
From the expandinjax.com
"Military Contributes to Workforce
Sixteen of every hundred Jacksonville-area residents are connected with the Navy, either through active or reserve duty, or as a retiree, civilian employee or member of a military family.
Once they include "Jacksonville-area" I can see how the number would jump up. I was speaking specifically for Jax residents employed by the military, but of course the military employs many people who reside in Clay and St. John's counties as well.

That's sad about the impact to Brunswick. At least they're near the coast, so maybe they can grow in tourism. I love Maine....it's been years since I've visited, I'm long overdue !

Old 04-29-2007, 06:25 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,697,500 times
I heard that there are a couple of squadrons moving to Jax. Is that still true? Or have the residents canked that idea?

Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 AM

443 posts, read 2,127,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
I heard that there are a couple of squadrons moving to Jax. Is that still true? Or have the residents canked that idea?
titaniummd,

The plan here at NAS Brunswick is to move all the squadrons to JAX/ It will not all be at once, there will be some that go in 2008, then some more in 2009, etc until the base closes Sept 2011.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post

http://www.brunswicklra.org/displayresource.aspx?resID=689 (broken link)

here is the most current info on moving people to JAX

Old 05-03-2007, 05:20 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,697,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
http://www.brunswicklra.org/displayresource.aspx?resID=689 (broken link)

here is the most current info on moving people to JAX
Thanks, everyone. That was exactly the information I was looking for.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:54 AM

The closure of NAS Brunswick, Maine should be good for JAX, if will provide more money to the local economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville