Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,233 times

Advertisements

Hi, just wondering where eveyone that was "'new" on this thread ended up.

We're coming from Northern VA (Fairfax county) and have a 4 year ASD son. He has the autism label from VA Child Find and is in the PAC program (preschool autism class) where he gets 27 hours/week of free ABA-based preschool instruction.

My hubby is stationed in Kings Bay, GA and is willing to commute up to an hour (one way) so we're trying to decide on whether we should live in Clay, Duval or Nassau county...we just want the best possible pre-K class for our son. Not sure it we'll buy or rent...we'll be there ~ 2 years.

Any advice? Thanks!

PS Heard about the abuse at Kernan Trails so that one is defintely out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 PM

432 posts, read 1,303,677 times
I messaged you.

We aren't even in Jax yet. We'll be there either late June or early July. We haven't settled on when yet, but are planning on house hunting soon. We've been narrowing our homes down!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,629 times
Default Advice for mattsmommy and anyone else

Hey mattsmommy, we live in Green Cove Springs which is probably further South then you want to go. We gave Tynes Elementary a try because of all the good things I had heard. I'm not going to get into it on this post, but we are staying as far away from that school as possible. If anyone is curious about our experience feel free to private message me. My wife and I have been working with the State of Florida and Clay County School district to get things resolved and Cameron is now going to Thunderbolt (his home school) and is very happy. The school is doing their best to give Cameron the required sevices he needs. We meet frequently with the school to keep up on things and so far so good. All I have to say is make sure that your son's IEP gets reviewed in FULL by all necessary staff. If they say they've reviewed it, test them on it! They may not know your son as well as they say they do. Just to go in it a bit, if the Tynes staff had actually reviewed my sons IEP AND talked to his previous teacher as was suggested, we would not have had any problems. He would have been properly placed and doing well. Instead, my 8 year old Autistic son who can read, dress himself, and is potty trained would not have been placed in a class who is learning how to get themselves dressed and learning a letter a day! We all want what's best for our children and proper placement is the first step. If not in the correct environment how can we as parents expect our special children to excell? All I can say is fight for what you believe is needed for your son and don't back down for anything. We are thier only advocates and they need us more then anything during these early years of education. Good luck to you and feel free to message me if you need any contacts or people to talk with.

PS If $ is not an issue, there are plenty of private schools in Jacksonville that offer great services for Autistic children. Trust me, Clay County knows about them too because they know they will be paying for my son to go if things start to go sour.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,102 times
Default program for autistic children

Is this development bartram Springs?
Do you know how I can find information about the Autism program you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpdianne View Post
Steve 08087

There is a new development that will have a new Duval Public School with a program for autisic children. This school will be ready Sept 09. The school is being built right in the development. This school will be for grades 1 thur 5. If you are interested in details, pleas PM me.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 6,102 times
Is this development bartram Springs?
Do you know how I can find information about the Autism program you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpdianne View Post
Steve 08087

There is a new development that will have a new Duval Public School with a program for autisic children. This school will be ready Sept 09. The school is being built right in the development. This school will be for grades 1 thur 5. If you are interested in details, pleas PM me.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,989 times
Could you please send me the info on this school. I have a 5 year old and the help Im finding is very limited. Thanks so in advance.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 20,294 times
We are still in NJ. Now have an opportunity in Melbourne,FL. Back to the drawing board for us. thanks. Steve.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,774 times
I would research the CARD here in Jacksonville carefully before using them. [url=http://neflacard-aware.org/]NEFLACARD-AWARE[/url]

Old 01-28-2010, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,718 times
We are currently in Norfolk Va are are being relocated to the Jax area this summer. I am trying to find resources for my 9 yr old son on the spectrum. He is PDD/NOS but is HFA. What is this

Originally Posted by vpdianne
Steve 08087

Old 03-07-2010, 01:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,578 times
Not sure if you ever made it to Jacksonville if you have, I'd like to invite your son to participate in one of my golf camp,everything is supplied and paid for....My program is based out of The TPC Sawgrass,but I move around the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville