Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 AM

62 posts, read 180,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
In my opinion, gays and lesbians will garner far more acceptance when they just go on about their lives and quit whining about anti-gay this and anti-gay that, because really if you think about it, their message is always "anti-heterosexual" so yeah, you're going to get shot down until you change your approach, your mindset, and your agenda.
Blah, blah, blah...

In your opinion Rosa Parks should have stayed in the back of the bus and quit making so much trouble.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:17 AM

754 posts, read 2,815,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2Jax View Post
Blah, blah, blah...

In your opinion Rosa Parks should have stayed in the back of the bus and quit making so much trouble.
Who in the h#ll do you think you are comparing yourself to Rosa Parks? Someone's got delusions of grandeur, and it's not me.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post

Anyways, being Republican as you claim, wouldn't you want to limit government involvement in things like this? At least that's what traditional conservatives believe in. Or are you one of those newfangled ultra conservatives? Call me crazy, but I'm guessing it's the latter.
You're not crazy. "Small government" to self-proclaimed social conservatives generally only applies to government's ability to tax your money or regulate your business.

"Freedom," "Liberty," "Pursuit of Happiness" is viewed in terms of dollars, not, ya know, the ACTUAL freedom to live life free of the government intrusion and restriction. The funny thing is the restrictions are USUALLY couched in terms of notions of morality garnered from ancient books of mythology written for people who need a book to tell them how to live their lives morally.

The culture in Florida, though, is really no different than that found in most other places. South Florida is typically much more tolerant than North Florida. Some cities, like West Palm Beach, actually have non-discrimination policies and "domestic partnership" registries (not sure the status of those since the mouth-breathers voted yes on 2 this past election). In places like Georgia, Atlanta may be a haven, but venture outside the city and you run smack dab into some pretty primitive thought cloacked by self-righteousness and fake notions of "traditionalism."

Old 01-30-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
Who in the h#ll do you think you are comparing yourself to Rosa Parks? Someone's got delusions of grandeur, and it's not me.
Nice spin.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:16 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,488,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninclay View Post
That's not what he was doing at all.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:29 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,735,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC2Jax View Post

I get a little tired of people who equate the struggle for same-sex marriage with the struggle for civil rights of the 60s. The Rosa Parks episode was a struggle to restore freedoms that had been literally taken away from black people. Same-sex marriage was never taken away because it never existed in the first place. For that reason those who make an argument for same-sex marriage should do so on its own merits. And this is not to say that I am against their cause.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:03 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
The gays rights and civil rights movements have much in common, how ever the gays are so frowned upon not even blacks want the comparison. In fact they are like those that said no to discrimination, no to in justice, and no to the wrongs inflicted... those include, ML King, and his wife, Gandhi, Evers, and yes even Rosa Parks. I think she would be the forst to say wrong is wrong no matter what color it discriminates against or in this case how you are born.

Being gay has such a strong belief that it is a choice and a host of other ill informed opinions. I can tell you gay people that feel good about themselves and don't"whin" get no more respect than others. That topic was my thesis and unlike traditional social psychology experiments it simply isn't the case when it comes to being gay.

Gays are so looked down upon it is hard for them to even be considered for hate crimes...Even in the dath camps gays were the lowest rank among the 15 or so types of prisoners, they had the greatest fatality rate, and were abused more than anyone else... yes even the Jews.

I think those that hate gays the most have their own "issues" to contend with and I find it appauling thy inflict pain on what they really are. What a sad state we simply argue that a group can be treated poorly and not provided rights others find imperative for thier American exerience.

If we don't support the rights of the small groups then who will support our rights when they come for us? And these people call themselves religious?

Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 PM

60 posts, read 223,227 times
I really hate to add to this arguments. But I am positive that MLK would be against gay marriges to begin with.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:41 PM

60 posts, read 223,227 times
Now don't blow up at my statement. I mind my own business and I have gay friends. I am just stating that MLK was a Christian through and through and it would be against his morals and beliefs all together.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
The Rosa Parks episode was a struggle to restore freedoms that had been literally taken away from black people. Same-sex marriage was never taken away because it never existed in the first place.
It DID exist in the state of California. Prop 8 took away what already existed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville