U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 06:23 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,846,381 times
In NC, my wife and I were more thinking Raleigh or Charlotte. In TN, Knoxville. I wanted a total feel for the entire state, but this is more specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:00 PM

727 posts, read 1,189,148 times
Go with Raleigh, hands down, easy pick man. Knoxville 2nd, and I think CLT and JAX would be a tie.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:43 PM

2,297 posts, read 2,405,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
Go with Raleigh, hands down, easy pick man. Knoxville 2nd, and I think CLT and JAX would be a tie.
Easy pick for you, you mean. It still depends on what the OP's family is looking for. I don't think there's any way Raleigh is better than Jax across the board for everything. Really depends on which factors are most important.

Anyway, I have never lived in NC or TN so I can't say much, but I'm more of a city than college town guy, so my preference would probably be CLT, Raleigh, Jax, then Knoxville...if not for my connection to Jax, which actually puts it at the top of the list.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:04 PM

^^^ Yup, your right. Raleigh may not be better than Jax in EVERYTHING. I am talking about a good place to raise a family, good schools, beautiful scenery, things to do, nice ppl, good pay with a lower cost of living = Raleigh is the best choice. Jax provides a beach, Raleigh does not, that is one exception. But nothing that Jax has cant be found in Raliegh, except a lot less crime. For big city life, Charlotte would be the best choice, imo.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:11 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,846,381 times
It's tough, and these four cities are likely options for me to transfer to. My wife and I have 3 children, are Christian conservative and enjoy doing fun things with the family. We like Raleigh due to it's low crime and proximity to the ocean. We dislike the higher cost of homes. We like Charlotte, which ironically has lower cost homes yet higher crime. We like Knoxville with the mountains, lakes and low cost of living. The crime is a little high there too though. Jacksonville is on our list due to the ocean, riverwalk and other fun things to do. I just hear so many people complain about FL.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the 2 Carolina options seem a bit boring compared to the other 2 cities which have zoos, aquarium or marineworld, ocean or mountains, U of TN or nearby U of FL (2 of my top college teams), riverwalks and no state income tax. Honestly, I'm leaning toward Knox, followed closely by JAX.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 6,494 times
If you value your life and the life of your family you will not move to Jax. I was a military brat for many years and this is the 2nd to worst place I have lived in all my life. We call it Killville for a reason. There are no "good" areas of Jax. They are all crime ridden and no one is safe. We just had 2 killings involving the police (GO COPS!!). 1 in my neighborhood which I consider the ghetto (and trying desperately to sell) and another totally across town. All of it happened within 30 minutes of each other. STAY AWAY FROM JAX if at all possible. It is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been here for 16 disgusting years and if I could get my parents out of here I would have been gone years ago. I am actually trying to sell my place to move to Eastern Tennessee. I am looking around Sevierville, Cookeville, Pittman Center. That is my whole reason for leaving FL. I have been to TN and it's amazing how wonderful and laid back the people are!!!..Down in Jax most are just drug-addicted thugs just contemplating their next home invasion or robbery while waiting on a HUD check the rest of the tax payers must supply. This town is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! DON"T MOVE HERE!! IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:53 PM

503 posts, read 803,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatekillville View Post
If you value your life and the life of your family you will not move to Jax. I was a military brat for many years and this is the 2nd to worst place I have lived in all my life. We call it Killville for a reason. There are no "good" areas of Jax. They are all crime ridden and no one is safe. We just had 2 killings involving the police (GO COPS!!). 1 in my neighborhood which I consider the ghetto (and trying desperately to sell) and another totally across town. All of it happened within 30 minutes of each other. STAY AWAY FROM JAX if at all possible. It is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been here for 16 disgusting years and if I could get my parents out of here I would have been gone years ago. I am actually trying to sell my place to move to Eastern Tennessee. I am looking around Sevierville, Cookeville, Pittman Center. That is my whole reason for leaving FL. I have been to TN and it's amazing how wonderful and laid back the people are!!!..Down in Jax most are just drug-addicted thugs just contemplating their next home invasion or robbery while waiting on a HUD check the rest of the tax payers must supply. This town is AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! DON"T MOVE HERE!! IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
People please do realize that some people are very unhappy no matter the situation. To say such things as mention above, well just look at there the name, just because you are unhappy doesnt mean we have to. Misery loves company. I feel sorry for TN no community needs such a negative resident. Put the remote down, turn the tv off and read a book for a change. You will feel better.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:39 AM

754 posts, read 1,752,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatekillville View Post
Blah, blah,...what's the word I'm thinking of? Oh, now I remember...blah!

Ignore this guy. You've gotten good objective advice from others on here. There are LOTS of great areas of Jacksonville, and the suburbs/adjacent cities (Ponte Vedra, St. Augustine, Vilano Beach, Fleming Island, etc.) are top-notch.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:52 PM

2,392 posts, read 3,250,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
It's tough, and these four cities are likely options for me to transfer to. My wife and I have 3 children, are Christian conservative and enjoy doing fun things with the family. We like Raleigh due to it's low crime and proximity to the ocean. We dislike the higher cost of homes. We like Charlotte, which ironically has lower cost homes yet higher crime. We like Knoxville with the mountains, lakes and low cost of living. The crime is a little high there too though. Jacksonville is on our list due to the ocean, riverwalk and other fun things to do. I just hear so many people complain about FL.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the 2 Carolina options seem a bit boring compared to the other 2 cities which have zoos, aquarium or marineworld, ocean or mountains, U of TN or nearby U of FL (2 of my top college teams), riverwalks and no state income tax. Honestly, I'm leaning toward Knox, followed closely by JAX.
I'm from Jax and currently live in Raleigh and have visited Charlotte a couple of times. Personally, I like Jax and the rest of FL but I wouldn't want to raise a family in any FL city after having lived in Raleigh and going to Charlotte. Jax and Charlotte offer a big city feel but they're two different cities with Jax having a totally different vibe and feel.

It's funny to see myself type this seeing as though I'm in my early 30s but when you think about settling down in a good community Raleigh and Charlotte would be my choice over FL. The values in terms of what is important is different.

Jax and FL are fun to visit and I get down quite often for a much need break from NC.

Old 11-26-2008, 03:16 PM

Compelled, you reading what "he'sohot" is saying? LOL. It is true.

Anyhow, Go with Knoxville, got the best of both worlds there with UT and you said you are conservative, which Jax is too, but Knoxville sounds like for you. And its nice, as a once Asheville resident familiar with that area. My 2 cents. Raleigh would be my first choice, and Knoxville a close 2nd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville