Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM

432 posts, read 1,309,486 times

Advertisements

Aloha!

Good advice here and while it does get cold I will say it is nothing like a Michigan winter!! I used to live North of Detroit as well......West Bloomfield to be exact. We are moving to Jax next summer from Hawaii (yes I know), but remember those Michigan winters like nothing else......in fact I was just talking to my friend who lives out in White Lake and they were laughing at me worrying about the fact that it was really cold in Jacksonville the other morning.

We are looking a little further south than where you circled.......

Good luck with the potential move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 10:27 PM

6 posts, read 10,657 times
Default Reply

I will tell you the truth. This is the worst place I have ever lived. I have lived in 3rd world countries that were less crime-infested than Jax. There are NO safe places in this big town. It is all crime ridden and I promise you, we have at least 1-2 killings a night that are all over town (just last Sunday we had 11 shots fired where I live on the Westside by NAS JAX) and 30 min later another shooting on a totally different part of town. In both cases the victims were killed thank God but literally the entire town is crime infested. I have been here for 16 years and have my place for sale and I'm trying to claw my way out of this town. If worst comes to worst and you must move here, my suggestion would be the Mandarin area since it seems the safest. Do NOT move to Arlington, the Westside or ANYTHING involving the Northside. I promise you will regret it deeply. I can't emphasize enough what a terrible town this is but if you have no choice those are options. Also, Orange Park, Fleming Island, and Green Cove Springs might be some areas to add to your list. Good luck and sorry you have to move to this disgusting place.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:34 PM

218 posts, read 468,569 times
Default well,......move to one of the beaches

the beaches are nice and not that much crime . they are a lot safer than town. You can walk to the store. The year round rents are not that much either. Check out on the web site. There is not a ghetto on the Island.

, I live just north of Detroit in the city and want to stay in the city. However if you go south just 3 miles from my house its a completely different world than where I live, its literally "crossing the tracks". I live on 11 mile 3 miles south and you hit 8 mile where eminem made a movie about the ghetto there LOL.

So I want to know what areas to AVOID in JAX because I have never been there and want to make sure im not looking in areas that are "Across the tracks" I want to live in a neighborhood where I can comfortably send my g/f to get a soda at midnight and not worry about it.

If the area circled is lousy can someone give me some insight what areas would be a good choice. Thanks!

[/quote]

Old 11-25-2008, 10:45 PM

530 posts, read 1,460,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatekillville View Post
I will tell you the truth. This is the worst place I have ever lived. I have lived in 3rd world countries that were less crime-infested than Jax. There are NO safe places in this big town. It is all crime ridden and I promise you, we have at least 1-2 killings a night that are all over town (just last Sunday we had 11 shots fired where I live on the Westside by NAS JAX) and 30 min later another shooting on a totally different part of town. In both cases the victims were killed thank God but literally the entire town is crime infested. I have been here for 16 years and have my place for sale and I'm trying to claw my way out of this town. If worst comes to worst and you must move here, my suggestion would be the Mandarin area since it seems the safest. Do NOT move to Arlington, the Westside or ANYTHING involving the Northside. I promise you will regret it deeply. I can't emphasize enough what a terrible town this is but if you have no choice those are options. Also, Orange Park, Fleming Island, and Green Cove Springs might be some areas to add to your list. Good luck and sorry you have to move to this disgusting place.
Wow seems like you should start packing your bags tonight.

Old 11-27-2008, 12:14 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
As mentioned, you circled a pretty big area that encompasses some very nice areas and some very not nice areas.

If you stick near the river, you'll find some urban-suburban areas that you might really like such as Riverside and Avondale. Springfield was mentioned and you can certainly take a look at that as well.

Depending on whether it makes sense to you commute-wise, you might also want to hop across the river to the San Marco and San Jose areas. These are also older urban-suburban neighborhoods with some great older housing and plenty of shopping, etc.

We've talked about these areas/neighborhoods plenty on past threads, so you might want to try doing a search on each using the neighborhood names as keywords.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:05 AM

549 posts, read 2,205,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Avoid the whole circled area. I have seen the nothingness downtown Jacksonville has to offer. It is like an institutionalized Mogadishu, complete with endless rows of chain link fences and McDonalds.
That's so not true...at least as far as the Historic Springfield area is concerned. I've lived here for 10-12 years and I've seen first hand, the changes to this area, and our crime rate is quite low. I walk my dog late at night and in the very early morning hours, before the sun's up and have never had a problem.

If you're interested in knowing more about the area and what's available, I suggest you visit the neighborhood forum (http://www.sparcouncil.org/forums/ - broken link) there you can ask questions and get straight forward answers.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:57 AM

150 posts, read 577,108 times
I lived in Woodhollow Apartments in the 32225 zip for 3 years. It is about 5 minutes form the Beach and about 10 minutes from Best Buy. My rent was $700 a month for a pretty spacious 1 bedroom apartment. That is an area where I went out many times at midnight to get a soda (or Taco Bell .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville