U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 04:45 PM

9,978 posts, read 15,822,036 times
Trader Joes is pretty secretive, but I did find this article that says they are expanding to Texas and Florida (with more in Texas) but don't know where in Florida.

2011 Power 50: No. 23 DAN BANE

There was an article last fall that said they were eyeing the "Tampa Bay Area", but who knows. I do think they are coming to Florida, question is where and when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 04:22 AM

13,314 posts, read 29,163,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Trader Joes is pretty secretive, but I did find this article that says they are expanding to Texas and Florida (with more in Texas) but don't know where in Florida.

2011 Power 50: No. 23 DAN BANE

There was an article last fall that said they were eyeing the "Tampa Bay Area", but who knows. I do think they are coming to Florida, question is where and when.
Thanks Gypsy. For those who click on the link, the site might ask you to register, just close the link and click it again.

snippet:

Trader Joe's operates 356 stores in 28 states with sales estimated at $8.5 billion. It added locations in Iowa and Nebraska this year, with future expansion reportedly scheduled for Texas and Florida (with more stores likely to open in Texas than Florida), observers said.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 AM

4,205 posts, read 4,339,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Thanks Gypsy. For those who click on the link, the site might ask you to register, just close the link and click it again.

snippet:

Trader Joe's operates 356 stores in 28 states with sales estimated at $8.5 billion. It added locations in Iowa and Nebraska this year, with future expansion reportedly scheduled for Texas and Florida (with more stores likely to open in Texas than Florida), observers said.

I have never been to a Trader Joe's (in fact when I first heard the name all I could think of was a Banana Republic type store) but after clicking on the link above, I would like to see exactly what they have to offer. But then until last year I had never been in a Whole Food Store either and now love going there and shopping, mainly for cheese's and different ethnic foods. Hopefully I wont have to drive to Orlando to see one, as Ponte Vedre, Town Center or Mandarin would be a great location for a store.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:34 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,533,941 times
Trader Joe's has a very unique cult following. My wife went there every other week when we lived in Charlotte.

Basically, each store only carries 4,000 to 5,000 different products comapred to the normal grocery having 50-60k products. They also focus on the enviornmentally friendly products and have their own label.

Commerical real estate people love them because they produce a bunch of revenue per sq footage and usually the lease terms include a % of sales each month.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsquid View Post
Trader Joe's has a very unique cult following. My wife went there every other week when we lived in Charlotte.

Basically, each store only carries 4,000 to 5,000 different products comapred to the normal grocery having 50-60k products. They also focus on the enviornmentally friendly products and have their own label.

Commerical real estate people love them because they produce a bunch of revenue per sq footage and usually the lease terms include a % of sales each month.
So they don't own their own retail space, but lease it? And each store is what maybe 100,000 sq. ft? Hmmm. Doesn't seem to make economical sense, if your already a commercially successful enterprise,. Does it?

Old 08-29-2011, 08:57 AM

I think their average is around 10k square feet. Why should they build their own spot?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 AM

4 posts, read 4,718 times
I LOVE Trader Joe’s. I’ve been shopping there on almost a weekly basis for 10 years. I don’t know what I’m going to do without it when we move to Jacksonville. There is a place on their web site where you can request a store in your area. If you would like a Trader Joe’s in the Jacksonville area, please do the following:

go to traderjoes.com
click on ‘Contact’ at the bottom of the page
on the bottom right of that page you will see ‘Customer Questions & Feedback’ – click on drop down arrow and select ‘Location Requests’ then click on ‘Show me the form’. Then just complete and submit the form.

Pass this on to all of your friends, family, etc. Even if they’ve never heard of it, they will love it once they have one! Let’s all hope they decide to open one up in the Jacksonville area (I’d personally prefer it to be in St. Johns county ) in 2012!!

Old 08-29-2011, 09:44 AM

Doesn't matter where they open it, people will drive to it. When they opened the first one in charlotte, it was in a nondescript strip mall need to the TPC course there. Every weekend the parking lot was filled to the brim.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:47 AM

2,184 posts, read 2,301,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
I have never been to a Trader Joe's (in fact when I first heard the name all I could think of was a Banana Republic type store) but after clicking on the link above, I would like to see exactly what they have to offer. But then until last year I had never been in a Whole Food Store either and now love going there and shopping, mainly for cheese's and different ethnic foods. Hopefully I wont have to drive to Orlando to see one, as Ponte Vedre, Town Center or Mandarin would be a great location for a store.
Although as I understand it the Whole Foods in Mandarin has been struggling for awhile.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Although as I understand it the Whole Foods in Mandarin has been struggling for awhile.
Maybe people in Jax are not ready for Trader Joe's? Maybe there are just so many plebeian palettes and pocketbooks trained to survive on Food Lion or Winn Dixie that an upscale and esoteric food store just can't survive here in Jax. Ohhh wait Harris Teeter failed in both Mandarin and Ponte Vedre. If Whole Foods is struggling in Mandarin, why should TJ's even want to come to Jax. Unless its to put a store where all the hip people in Jax can easily access it. Downtown in the urban core of course. in Springfield. Where those Hawaiin shirts would look great getting chased down the streets by gangbangers...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville