U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Seeking to relocate from Michigan to Jacksonville Florida, wanting advice from former Yankees who moved to Jacksonville, cost of living, weather conditions in summer

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 05:54 AM

1,330 posts, read 1,850,370 times
Default What do the former yankees think

I write this in hopes of leaving MI soon to any former northerner who currently calls Jacksonville home. After snowplowing my driveway for the 6th time this weekend, my desire to leave here only gets stronger. And while Jacksonville ranks high on our list of places to relocate to, I want to know what other one-time yankees think of Jacksonville after leaving the frozen north. I'd love to here from former Michigan residents, but anyone from states like MN, WI, IN, OH, PA or New England feel free to chime in.

Have you been treated like an outsider? Is the summer heat more than you were expecting? Is it more expensive than you originally estimated? Are you happy with JAX, wishing to return north or hoping to relocate to some other warm climate? Any and all feedback is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 08:08 AM

549 posts, read 1,249,787 times
I moved from PA to Jax over 20 years ago and I've never regretted moving. I return yearly to visit with family and friends...but have no desire to live there.

I've also never felt or been treated as an outsider. The summers are hot, but no more so than where I moved from, they just last longer. Anything over 90 is uncomfortable and the humidity is what makes it that way...but there's heavy humidity up in the northeast too.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:04 AM

561 posts, read 1,258,561 times
I'm a native, but I have family who were originally from states that you have listed. They never went back, if that's what you are wondering!

I doubt you'd ever feel like an outsider, since it seems like half of Jax's residents aren't even from here. The summers are indeed brutal; however, every building has an A/C running full blast. There's none of that Northern nonsense about just running a fan. Everything is cooled to 70 degrees and that's that!!

In my experience, the Northerners who hate Jax are the ones who already hated Southern culture, and never had any intention of changing themselves. So if you are made uncomfortable by Sir, Ma'am, fried food, hunting, pickup trucks, and Republicans ... maybe Jax isn't for you. But if weather is your overwhelming motivation, then this is the place for you.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:49 AM

8,204 posts, read 23,531,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post

Have you been treated like an outsider? Is the summer heat more than you were expecting? Is it more expensive than you originally estimated? Are you happy with JAX, wishing to return north or hoping to relocate to some other warm climate? Any and all feedback is welcome.
Came from NY . Overall, I am happy that I made the move, but I've never ruled out moving back (or moving somewhere else entirely ).

Treated like an outsider? No, not really. As stated previously, there are enough people from everywhere so one doesn't really "stand out" as far as I can tell. I have had a harder time making friends with those who were born and raised here. My husband has lived here nearly all his life and has some long-term female friends that I thought might befriend me. We get along great, so I don't think it's that they don't like me , but when it comes to girls night out, I'm not invited . They have their traditions, they all went to a cozy private school together, and I guess to them I'm an outsider . I get a taste of that here and there from those who were born and raised here, so most of my friends are also transplants.

Weather is fine. Yes, the peak 2 months of heat and humidity are brutal, but they pass quickly enough and the remainder of the year is beautiful . The first year might be tough, but afterwards, you get used to the heat. Everywhere is air-conditioned, so late-July through early-September, you just stay inside as much as possible.

Jax IS getting more expensive. Right now, house prices are low enough that it's a good time to snap up a piece of property, but little else is "cheap". You will drive everywhere, so having a good car is a must. Don't underestimate the amount of driving and the distances . This is a huge spread-out city. If you locate yourself off in a far corner of it, you might regret it later.

It's hard to leave a warm climate, so I don't know if I'll ever leave, but ideally, I would not mind moving to a different city every 10 years and I'm about due right now . Jax has a lot going for it though, so no other city is beckoning at the moment.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,669,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
I write this in hopes of leaving MI soon to any former northerner who currently calls Jacksonville home. After snowplowing my driveway for the 6th time this weekend, my desire to leave here only gets stronger. And while Jacksonville ranks high on our list of places to relocate to, I want to know what other one-time yankees think of Jacksonville after leaving the frozen north. I'd love to here from former Michigan residents, but anyone from states like MN, WI, IN, OH, PA or New England feel free to chime in.

I was born in Ohio, and served time (not literally!) in Minnesota, but Jacksonville has been my home for 25 years now. I will never leave, this is my town, period.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:11 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,669,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
I was born in Ohio, and served time (not literally!) in Minnesota, but Jacksonville has been my home for 25 years now. I will never leave, this is my town, period.
As for weather I should make the point that we do have four seasons here....

Summer, late summer, early summer and next summer.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:17 PM

55 posts, read 98,710 times
My family and I moved from IL this past summer and don't regret it at all. We moved in at the hottest time of the year and within 3 weeks were dealing with Tropical storm Fay. I know some people had flooding but our neighborhood did not have any damage at all and it really was just 3 days where we stayed inside and watched tv. Compared to dealing with 4 months of winter it was no big deal. My wife and I both lived in the Chicago area our entire life. When we moved it was just as hot in IL as it was down here. I think that's what people don't realize. Also the beaches are great for those 90 degree days. Unlike up north, the beach extends all down the coast so finding parking is easy, heck some places even allow you to drive on the beach. We both have many friends up north so we've been thinking about them recently with all the bad weather they've had. I just don't miss it a bit and wonder more and more every day why more people don't move down here. In terms of expenses we were from the chicago suburbs and things like gas is cheaper but groceries are more expensive. The big change is the taxes. The no state income taxes and low sales taxes are great. We have not been treated like outsiders at all. To follow up on what others have said, i'd say about 50% of the people are from here, the other seem to be from the northeast. There aren't too many people from the midwest. We're still looking to find a place that makes Chicago Style Pizza, everthing we've had here is more NY style.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 PM

5,676 posts, read 10,214,239 times
Love the way you stated the "four seasons" there! We have already aquired an apartment and are heading to Jax next month to live. Got to buy a Cabin Cruiser before next summer though......love the water and fishing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
As for weather I should make the point that we do have four seasons here....

Summer, late summer, early summer and next summer.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:58 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,226,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Came from NY . Overall, I am happy that I made the move, but I've never ruled out moving back (or moving somewhere else entirely ).

Treated like an outsider? No, not really. As stated previously, there are enough people from everywhere so one doesn't really "stand out" as far as I can tell. I have had a harder time making friends with those who were born and raised here. My husband has lived here nearly all his life and has some long-term female friends that I thought might befriend me. We get along great, so I don't think it's that they don't like me , but when it comes to girls night out, I'm not invited . They have their traditions, they all went to a cozy private school together, and I guess to them I'm an outsider . I get a taste of that here and there from those who were born and raised here, so most of my friends are also transplants.
Pay close attention to the quote here because there is definitely something to it.

I too moved here from the north & although I have never been treated like an outsider directly, locals aren't exactly lining up to befriend me either. Its weird because this is sorta the opposite of where I lived before I moved here (DC). Everyone wanted to know everyone, hang out, whatever. Not the case here. Its a real fight to make friends, esp with locals. They are very nice though & willing to chat with anyone, hospitable, etc, but just not go "all the way" I guess.

So, like Riv, most the people I know personally here & have any kind of relationship with are transplants. Its not my doing, God knows I've tried to befriend locals. But I cant make someone want to be my friend. I can only put it out there & they have to run with it. So far, those people have all been transplants.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:17 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,850,370 times
Some real interesting stuff, thanks to all. I enjoy this forum alot and knew I'd get some good responses. I hear a few people, not only on this thread either, speak of JAX being a bit expensive. I'm trying to figure this out. No state income tax, property tax is lower than national average, gas tax is low, sales tax normal, no food tax, no annual vehicle tax, no paying for parking at the beach, college is paid for (?-Bright Futures) if you have a good enough GPA, house prices reasonable. Maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't sound expensive. Is food/utilities expensive? I've lived in VA Beach before and that is expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville