Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 08:08 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I was thinking the same thing, kort677 - 25 years is a long time and that's only the estimate.

I had also been told that many of the surrounding communities that were built in proximity during the last few years will get "absorbed" and be considered 'Nocatee" as well. I'm not sure if this is a benefit to future buyers (will those older communities also pay CDD's?). This information was told to me while shopping the communities a few years back...the realtors thought it was a selling point...it sent us running.

Some of Nocatee will be open to the general public as Julington Creek Plantation is. I know the Nocatee water park plans to be open to all for an admission fee. The whole Nocatee idea sounds like a big ball of unknowns to me.

A little anecdote about "unknowns":

A couple of years ago I was looking at houses in Highland Glen, off Beach Blvd. I loved the house plans, the total association fee was something like $80/month (for a gated community! Not bad!), they had plans for a "meditation park" with a labyrinth I think (ooohhh! I'm such a sucker for groovy stuff like this!). I revisited it about a year ago and followed the signs to the meditation park...it was a short strip about 8 feet wide alongside someone's driveway! Hardly a "park"!
never believe a word any real estate salesman or developer ever says, they are right up there with car salesmen, insurance salesmen, gubbiment types, lawyers and politicians as being full if you know what
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM

284 posts, read 1,657,252 times
You should not bank on appreciation when choosing a home or community. There are no guarantees - homes are not FDIC insured! Your choice should be based on a home and location you like at a price you can afford.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,456,050 times
We have a friend that recently closed on a house in a similar large development, Bartram Springs. His house cost $450k, and no sooner did he close that he found out the home was now worth $40k less than what he paid for it.

He can laugh about it because he knows he is in it for the long haul and he's happy with his home selection. Still, even for him, it is a little unnerving to think that if he were forced to sell anytime soon he could be walking away in the red.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:52 PM

216 posts, read 475,414 times
Default Not my choice.

I wouldn't touch Nocatee at that price and assocation fees.. Plus the road is a dark death trap going to the beach. Second, you can find good buys
much closer to the ocean, and therein lies your appreciation. The closer to the beach the appreciation is in the location, not the building.

There are townhouses on the EAST side of A1A almost right on the ocean where I could buy a 3 br for less than 230k.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 16,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
from what I've read about the nocatee development plan is that plan calls for development over 25 years. That means that you'll be living in or near a construction zone for a long time and if and when you need to sell your resale will be competing against a constant supply of new homes.
Another issue is that the area is planned on being a "high end" development, where are all these "high end" people coming from?
I bought a home in the Coastal Oaks At Nocatee section of this amazing town in the making. The price that I paid is in the high 600k level and I assure you that it represents a great value compared to the Fairfield County area of Connecticut where I currently live.

I own a mortgage brokerage business so I see the buyers who struggle to handle the higher prices associated with great communities. Also being an experienced real estate agent, I believe that the concept of this new town is unlike anything that Florida has seen. To call it a development or community does not do it justice.

My opinion is that no one should be looking at buying real estate to flip in a year or two unless it involves rehab/rebuild/transform type projects. You cannot resell or lease a Nocatee home for a minimum of one year after closing on it. This will hopefully discourage real estate "flippers".

I am convinced that Jacksonville, already a beautiful, thriving city, will benefit even more from the thousands of residents who will buy in Nocatee (now named Ponte Vedra) and spend their money in city establishments. The baby boomers are shopping for "retirement" homes in the Southern Atlantic seaboard area and they will bring their money to Jacksonville in increasing numbers for sure.

I will gladly use my expertise and experience to help folks by responding to posts on this forum. I find the dialog to be civil and helpful. Keep it going.

Jacksonville ... here I come!

Old 04-15-2007, 05:06 PM

$600-700k and it DOESN'T need rehabbing?! It IS quite a change from Connecticut, huh?

We've never had anything quite as big as Nocatee here before, so it will be interesting to watch it develop. Good for you that you got in early and it's what you want.

I think for some of us, we've become a bit jaded to the idea of the "planned communites" because we've had them here for a while. Julington Creek is an example. Julington Creek obviously "works" on many levels and lots of people love it but there are also people that are not impressed with the concept...but the "New Urbanism" debate would be a thread of its' own.

I agree, Jacksonville & St. Augustine have been "discovered" and we'll have a lot of Northerners moving to the First Coast. Really, they've been coming here all along...but quietly...sneaking in...I'm one !

Yes, bring your money, bring real pizza, bagels, lox, bialeys, knish, etc....just don't bring your higher property taxes, agreed?

Welcome to Jax!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortgageGuru View Post
I bought a home in the Coastal Oaks At Nocatee section of this amazing town in the making. The price that I paid is in the high 600k level and I assure you that it represents a great value compared to the Fairfield County area of Connecticut where I currently live.

I own a mortgage brokerage business so I see the buyers who struggle to handle the higher prices associated with great communities. Also being an experienced real estate agent, I believe that the concept of this new town is unlike anything that Florida has seen. To call it a development or community does not do it justice.

My opinion is that no one should be looking at buying real estate to flip in a year or two unless it involves rehab/rebuild/transform type projects. You cannot resell or lease a Nocatee home for a minimum of one year after closing on it. This will hopefully discourage real estate "flippers".

I am convinced that Jacksonville, already a beautiful, thriving city, will benefit even more from the thousands of residents who will buy in Nocatee (now named Ponte Vedra) and spend their money in city establishments. The baby boomers are shopping for "retirement" homes in the Southern Atlantic seaboard area and they will bring their money to Jacksonville in increasing numbers for sure.

I will gladly use my expertise and experience to help folks by responding to posts on this forum. I find the dialog to be civil and helpful. Keep it going.

Jacksonville ... here I come!
what a load!

Old 04-15-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

Yes, bring your money, bring real pizza, bagels, lox, bialeys, knish, etc....just don't bring your higher property taxes, agreed?

Welcome to Jax!
where are you at?? property taxes in Ponte vedra are amost as bad as what I pay on my NJ house

Old 04-16-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
what a load!
Do you think? I wasn't positive, so I was giving the benefit of the doubt...ah well!

Old 04-16-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
where are you at?? property taxes in Ponte vedra are amost as bad as what I pay on my NJ house
As bad as in NJ? Really? I'm suprised. I know Ponte Vedra is more expensive overall (housing), but I didn't think anyone was paying $8000, $10,000, and more per year (prop tax) in Ponte Vedra unless it was a really upscale home.

I'm over the ditch and a bit north of you (Intracoastal West), so slightly different millage...but still. You must have some nice digs if you're paying NJ amounts of tax Kort677!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville