U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM

85 posts, read 163,802 times
Default What are the rich places in Jacksonville/Duval?

Are there any luxurious, wealthy places in Jacksonville or Duval County? My cousins from Atlantic Beach say that there is a lot more wealth in northeast Florida than people in South Florida think and that there are many wealthy areas that are desriable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM

561 posts, read 1,242,327 times
Well, yes. There are plenty of wealthy neighborhoods.

St Johns county (just south of Jax) is one of the wealthier counties in the entire country! Of course, this is average wealth, not total weath. So the area ranks so highly because it contains many of Jacksonville's wealthiest suburbs, and not much else.

Also, most of the wealth is concentrated around the water. So the riverfront and beachfront homes are full of super-wealthy people, regardless of whether the neighborhood around them is rich or not.

Generally, Ponte Vedra is by far the richest, followed by other riverfront and beachfront homes, followed by "old money" in San Marco or Riverside/Avondale, followed by various gated-communities in the Southside. But remember, Jax's average income is much lower than South Florida's, so we don't have as many areas that are as posh as South Florida's super-wealthy enclaves.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:03 PM

549 posts, read 1,232,845 times
Springfield has some very upscale places

Old 12-26-2008, 10:35 PM

8,204 posts, read 23,280,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
Are there any luxurious, wealthy places in Jacksonville or Duval County? My cousins from Atlantic Beach say that there is a lot more wealth in northeast Florida than people in South Florida think and that there are many wealthy areas that are desriable.
I would agree with your cousin's statement, there is a lot more wealth in NEFL than outsiders realize.

There's plenty of old money families still clustered around the river in Avondale, Ortega, San Marco and San Jose. There are an amazing number of gorgeous riverfront mansions on both sides of the river.

Then there's Ponte Vedra which was primarily new money, often from the Northeast, though now even that new money is getting "older" .

North Florida has never been flashy, and a lot of newcomers don't even know these gorgeous areas are hidden just behind some major roads, like San Jose Blvd.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:16 AM

2,210 posts, read 2,337,021 times
I've always remembered this quote ever since I first came across it several months ago cause it was just so surprising to me: "Worth Magazine ranked Ortega 46th among the nation's top 50 wealthiest neighborhoods."

I don't know exactly what that means, but it comes from the website to a new development in the area. Ortega Landing - Condominiums and Marina Slips in Jacksonville Florida (http://www.ortegalanding.com/location.htm - broken link)

Old 12-28-2008, 12:19 PM

2,113 posts, read 3,058,504 times
I can tell you I am laughing at some of the "wealth" in Palm Beach now that has disappeared with Madoff. Did some of them really even have it before? And to think now people are using the whole Madoff scheme as status symbol is laughable. "Oh, we aren't going to be down there as much this year, you know, with the whole Madoff thing." I can say one thing, most of the people in Ortega, and i'm sure most in PV too still have their money. Old money is old money because the people know how to keep it. And one thing is for sure, much of the old money that used to be in S FL has moved out. NE FL attracts a different kind of wealthy person than S FL, the kind that does not like to attract as much attention.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:43 PM

1,104 posts, read 440,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLkid754 View Post
Coming from a former cabbie

Ortega, Mandarin, Ponte V. The group of islands that connect Hecksher Drive. Lots of money in those areas.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 PM

1,104 posts, read 440,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post

North Florida has never been flashy, and a lot of newcomers don't even know these gorgeous areas are hidden just behind some major roads, like San Jose Blvd.
Very TRUE!!! They are hidden by Trees, but you can see many of their backyard docks from the Buckmen Bridge. I saw this one house in Ortega looked a friggin castle. And if you are ever in these neighborhoods you cant see the homes from the street. You have a long winding drive way that leads to the actually house about 100 to 200 feet from the street. Its like they are hiding from the regular people.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:32 PM

859 posts, read 2,410,874 times
planning a heist?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:46 AM

561 posts, read 1,242,327 times
Another good way to see all the mansions is by boat. It's amazing how big some of these houses are. You would never guess by just driving down San Jose Blvd or Roosevelt Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
And if you are ever in these neighborhoods you cant see the homes from the street. You have a long winding drive way that leads to the actually house about 100 to 200 feet from the street. Its like they are hiding from the regular people.
That's probably the sign of a very old property. Back when all this land was rural, it was common for extremely large lots to run from the river to the nearest county road. So you might have a 5 acre property that's only one lot wide but several lots deep.

Usually, these big lots were eventually subdivided by developers. But many still remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville