Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2007, 02:38 PM

53 posts, read 211,032 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are relocating from Raleigh, NC to Jacksonville in August. We would like to buy a house near the beach (no more than 2-5 miles to the beach) and close to shopping and nice restaurants. Which of the beaches areas would you recommend? Atlantic, Neptune, Jax Beach or Ponte Vedra??? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 02:48 PM
Jax

108 posts, read 638,881 times
Ponte Vedra is very upscale. Pretty pricey, but nice.

Old 03-04-2007, 02:57 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Ponte Vedra

Old 03-04-2007, 08:05 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
Ponte Vedra, definitely upscale, definitely expensive.

Atlantic Beach, also equally pricey near the ocean, different feel to it, also has nice restaurants and shops.

Neptune Beach, the next up and comer, between Atlantic and Jax Beaches

Jax Beach, becoming more pricey as the days go by, if you want a condo, this beach offers the most selection for condos, but they are expensive.

All beaches offer restaurants and nightlife of various sorts, they are dense, highly desirable places to live, and draw many visitors during the summer months. The beaches in general are going to be at least fairly upscale, and definitely pricey because of the demand. I recommend visiting first each one because they are all VERY different and have different vibes and housing stocks.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Do any of these communities have Old Florida-style architecture?
What about traditional neighborhood design?
Jmm, sorry for the hijack, it's just that my question kind of fit in with yours.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks for all your replies. We are visiting the area in April to see the area again and how close they are to downtown and major areas.
When you say each beach has a different feel to it, what do you mean? Can you describe them? Thanks!

Old 03-05-2007, 10:24 AM

Forgot to mention that we are not interested in a condo, we are looking for a single family home close to the beach.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:57 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
jmm
actually which side of A1A you are on can mean the difference of thousands of dollars

anywhere east of the intercostal is no more than 1 mile from the ocean.
there are 3 roads that come form the beach
Atlantic blvd
Beach blvd
JTB blvd rt 202
JTB is the major highway from the beach if you are on there before 7am its about 20 25 mins downtown.

Atlantic is the furthest north this road has lights
beach well they are doing lots of construction so slow going.

hmmm how to describe the different feels.
ok lets say in ranking
my first choice
ponte vedra call me a snob but when I lived there, there was that something about saying I live in Ponte Vedra

neptune , lots of established homes
atlantic , same as above
Jax beach allot of this depends on which side of A1A(or 3rd street as it is called there) you are on.
there use to be a few areas that were run down but now it seems that people are buying the small houses tearing them down and building new.

if schools are an issue Ponte Vedra, it is in St. Johns county. the schools are better.
as jsimms said you need to come down and see.
its not that far of a distance form one to another you can go from the egde of PV to neptune in 15 mins. lol if you dont notice the signs you won't even know you have changed beaches
anywhere in Jax east of 95 and you are at the most 12 miles form the beach.
there are also quite a few upscale subdivisions on the southside
Queens Harbor, Jax golf and country club, glenn kernan homes ranging from $500k up
if you want to pm me with what you are looking to spend I can suggest more specific areas
karla

Last edited by FLPL75; 03-05-2007 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: what else typing :)

Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 PM

62 posts, read 322,019 times
I agree that if you are looking for upscale, then Ponte Vedra area would likely be your cup of tea. If you need a good realtor in the area that specilizes in the beaches area, just pm me and I will give you her name and contact info. I left Jax for the foothills of NC. I spent many, many, many (don't want to give away my age) years there and did love it. It was getting just too busy for me. However, you are relocating from Raleigh so it will not be a big culture shock. Wearing casual year round is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville