U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-16-2010, 08:19 AM

2,907 posts, read 3,660,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The saddest stat here IMO is the approximate 25% high school graduation rate for AA males. Totally pathetic.
It is. In the AA community, there's not a lot of emphasis put on education. Of course this varies between families but when you come up in a family where few to no members have a high school diploma, you're going to have the mindset of "what's the use of having a high school diploma if my family members didn't get one". If a black kid from the inner-city or a nice neighborhood is making great grades in school, 9 times out of 10 he/she will be clowned for acting "white" because although ridiculous, an AA student isn't supposed to "make good grades" Boo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:23 AM

1,573 posts, read 1,369,367 times
Exclamation Preach, Northside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthsideJacksonville View Post
It is. In the AA community, there's not a lot of emphasis put on education. Of course this varies between families but when you come up in a family where few to no members have a high school diploma, you're going to have the mindset of "what's the use of having a high school diploma if my family members didn't get one". If a black kid from the inner-city or a nice neighborhood is making great grades in school, 9 times out of 10 he/she will be clowned for acting "white" because although ridiculous, an AA student isn't supposed to "make good grades" Boo
Both you and the poster you quoted are dead-on...apparently it isn't just in Jacksonville either---that 'be an uneducated ass-clown and call people sellouts' vibe is infecting black communities EVERYWHERE in America...

I'm sorry, but I'd rather be good than be a goon, and I try to preach that to my young nieces and nephews as well

Old 09-16-2010, 11:01 AM

10,833 posts, read 8,053,617 times
Quote:
Any ideas how to improve the situation? Robyn

Old 09-16-2010, 11:35 AM

150 posts, read 380,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The solution is role models- people who can be an example of what a difference an education makes. If some of these kids have never been around a person with a college degree, they might not completely "get" what kind of specific differences that can make in a person's life. The problem is that being a role model (i.e. Big Brother/Big Sister) is a huge time investment.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Here lies your answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheaded1der View Post
The solution is role models- people who can be an example of what a difference an education makes. If some of these kids have never been around a person with a college degree, they might not completely "get" what kind of specific differences that can make in a person's life. The problem is that being a role model (i.e. Big Brother/Big Sister) is a huge time investment.
I also want to add that it falls on the family to stress to the child the importance of going to school for an education, not to be the class clown or "most popular". Those titles aren't going to matter 5, 10 years from now. What matters is that the child has something to show for him or herself.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 PM

10,833 posts, read 8,053,617 times
Do you think white people can ever be a role model - or somehow useful in what you're talking about? Reason I ask is I once taught in a reform school in New York State (to make money when I was in college) - and my husband once taught 3rd grade in the south Bronx. There are lots of people like us who could be tutors (although definitely not substitute fathers or mothers). Just curious what you think (we've been asked to tutor in the past). I obviously know that AA role models would be better (we know some of them - people who graduated from the schools we graduated from - they're putting in lots of hours). But there aren't enough of them. And I wonder whether white is better than nothing (if white is better than nothing - I'd guess male white is better than female white)?

I'll note that a big problem in this regard is that about 10 years ago - homeowners' policies (including ours) put in exclusions for lawsuits - no matter how silly or ill-founded - arising as a result of child molesting claims. Made us wary of dealing with any kids - anywhere. So there would have to be some kind of organized city program that provided insurance (which is pretty expensive). Robyn

Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Do you think white people can ever be a role model - or somehow useful in what you're talking about? Reason I ask is I once taught in a reform school in New York State (to make money when I was in college) - and my husband once taught 3rd grade in the south Bronx. There are lots of people like us who could be tutors (although definitely not substitute fathers or mothers). Just curious what you think (we've been asked to tutor in the past). I obviously know that AA role models would be better (we know some of them - people who graduated from the schools we graduated from - they're putting in lots of hours). But there aren't enough of them. And I wonder whether white is better than nothing (if white is better than nothing - I'd guess male white is better than female white)?

I'll note that a big problem in this regard is that about 10 years ago - homeowners' policies (including ours) put in exclusions for lawsuits - no matter how silly or ill-founded - arising as a result of child molesting claims. Made us wary of dealing with any kids - anywhere. So there would have to be some kind of organized city program that provided insurance (which is pretty expensive). Robyn
A good mentor knows no racial/gender boundaries, be the mentor white or black/male or female. I think white people can be good role models as long as they relate to the children in which they're pouring their lives into. There definitely aren't enough AA role models for black youth, which is really sad and is a large part of why I do mentor/volunteer work because a lot of young black youth are at-risk

Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 PM

5,679 posts, read 10,371,968 times
We live in a apt complex close to The Avenues Mall, which is considered as the Southside. We chose this area because of how nice it looks. Not to long after moving into our apt., we talked to a uniformed JSO Officer at Best Buy. We told him where we lived and he said "you did pick a nice area, I patrol it". We do hear sirens sometimes, but they've been Jax FRD, not a patrol car.
However, we don't go out after dark for walks or anything and don't come home late at night either. We've had some crime, and I emphasize "some", at The Avenues Mall and around the Baymeadows/95 area, but not nearly like on the Northside and Westside. It can be so, so quiet at our complex in the middle of the night that I could drop a quarter on the driveway next to our apt. and hear it hit! We've been here for almost 2 years and getting ready to sign another lease again.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 PM

5,208 posts, read 3,027,961 times
Quote:
Jim Crow at its best.

Anything positive or american is viewed as acting white in the Hood, and there is so much pressure not to act white. Because of this many Black are not allowed to be themselves, no matter what hobbies or interest they have.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 6,295 times
You didn't see how big and beautiful my house is, and you never will! bought with hard earned money. Not the government! it looks nothing like that little shack!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville