Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 32,320 times

Advertisements

Im considering moving to Jacksonville in the late spring right after school ends. Are the public schools really as bad as stated in a lot of these posts? I also have a special needs child, will Jacksonville be a good place for him? And Im moving from DC...so Im no stranger to crime and urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Compared to DC, you'll probably feel our crime situation here is not so bad.

Schools can be a mixed bag. You'll want to do some research on FCAT scores to start (the Florida school rating system is called "FCAT"). Depending on the special need, contacting a support group or a center and asking for their input would be advisable as well.

This is a BIG area with a lot of schools and we regularly discuss 3 or more school districts. Duval/Jacksonville is the largest school district in the area and one of the largest in the state of Florida. Duval has some excellent schools, some are Magnet (specialty public), some are regular public.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,918 times
Well my bro is special needs and although my mom complains that where we used to be from was better for him, he is extremely happy here. He goes to Alden Road Exceptional Student Center.It's a good school- my brother cannot read or write and they work with him and help teach him the things he can learn. However, while the school is good, it is not in a good area of town. I know you said you're used to the crime, but it's not necessary to live there to go to school there. My brother has a forty five bus ride in the morning (the school isn't exactly that far away- he just is the first stop). We live in mandarin, 32258, and we don't really have a crime problem in my neighboorhood. It's very safe here.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 AM

754 posts, read 2,814,332 times
My kids are autistic, so I have them in the Clay County public school system. My daughter is in the autism program at Tynes Elementary in Middleburg, and the results have been awesome! My son is high-functioning, and he's in a mainstream class at Thunderbolt Elementary in Fleming Island...though they have to (and do) make accommodations for him. I'm more than pleased with the Clay County school system.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:22 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michee144 View Post
Im considering moving to Jacksonville in the late spring right after school ends. Are the public schools really as bad as stated in a lot of these posts? I also have a special needs child, will Jacksonville be a good place for him? And Im moving from DC...so Im no stranger to crime and urban areas.
We came from the DC area, also (AKA "North Bethesda", AKA Rockville, MD). Our daughter was in a Christian Private School in Potomac, MD. We moved to Fleming Island.

What is your budget? Are you buying or renting?

Regarding schools, I am happy with Thunderbolt Elementary for my daughter. I do not know about the special needs programs.

You can reference the following site which I did, prior to moving here.

Great Schools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 9,978 times
I live in St Augustine and the programs here for my special needs daughter are fantastic! She is able to go to any school here and there is transportation for her. Her class is aprox 8 students, one teacher and 1 aide. Her school has an entire wing for special needs classes with wonderfull equipment. The ymca has an afterschool program which they do staff wtih a few teachers from the specal needs program as well. Webster School, which is the one she attends is one of the very few with a full time nurse. Hope that helps.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:44 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,520,923 times
Quote:
You should have no issues on the Southside of Jax. Just make sure you raise them to be Jaguar fan and you are a great parent in my book. Leave all Redskin's clothing behind.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
For a special needs child, I highly recommend Neptune Beach Elementary. They have some special qualification to handle these types of children, and they let they other children interact with them as well. I visited the school and was very impressed with their program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville