Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 09:45 AM

4 posts, read 29,564 times

Advertisements

I am going to Costa Rica in 2 weeks. Do you think it is necessary to get shots/vaccines prior to going? This will not be a "rugged" hiking trip but does involve hiking in the rain/cloud forests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 09:51 AM

60 posts, read 223,152 times
You have to check the requirements. My church's youth group went and they had to jump through hoops. Medical forms notorized, shots so many days in advance etc...

Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM

Thank you. Health department is recommending Hep A, Tet, Typhiod, & malaria prescription for a total of $270 so really wondering about all this. I leave in a week.

Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM

11 posts, read 105,784 times
me and a few buddies went down there 3 years ago for about a week and made it back with good health (didn't get shots before we left). only 1 guy had diarhea for a couple days but that was because we slipped a laxative in his drink

Old 01-28-2009, 08:18 PM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
I'm no doctor, but I'd be inclined to get the Hep A. I think it's useful all around. Typhoid and Malaria I think you can just be careful about...unless your hiking involves spending the night in the forests...then maybe you should get those shots.

And Tetanus can be done after the fact, right? If something happens and you need it, then get it?

Again, I'm no expert, so dont just take my word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodusx187 View Post
me and a few buddies went down there 3 years ago for about a week and made it back with good health (didn't get shots before we left). only 1 guy had diarhea for a couple days but that was because we slipped a laxative in his drink
Remind me not to be your friend.

Old 01-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Thanks everyone. I am beginning to think that I don't need all that was suggested. I may end up sick from the shots and then miss the trip! But I do agree that Hep A would be wise. Thanks again!

Old 01-29-2009, 02:19 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salserajax View Post
I am going to Costa Rica in 2 weeks. Do you think it is necessary to get shots/vaccines prior to going? This will not be a "rugged" hiking trip but does involve hiking in the rain/cloud forests.
I recommend at least 4 or 5 shots, preferably of Jack Daniels, before going, yes.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:28 PM

4 posts, read 14,940 times
Yes - you should have at least the Hep B, and also see your doctor for malaria meds. We went a few years ago, it's a lovely place, but - don't eat in local restaurants, and drink only bottled water. Folks on our trip did not heed this advice, and became extremely ill from basic local foods. Hep B is indemic there, you really need those shots. Also - pack with you plenty of deep woods outdoor's man bug repelent, and do not leave the hotel without spraying your clothing, very well, - the best prevention from malaria. Dengu fever has also made it's rounds there - particulary in the deep rainforests/woods areas near water/streams. Definetly contact your doctor and get a perscription for a good antibiotic, take that with you too, just in case you do get ill from water or foods. We took many precautions on our two week trip, other fellows did not. Basic rule of thumb outside your hotel restaurant. Drink bottled water only - that has not been opened prior to your drinking it. Have a safe trip, but be very cautious of foods and water, and of course the constant buzz of nats and other biting bugs.

Have fun!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:44 PM

150 posts, read 576,873 times
I went to Costa Rica in 2006 for study abroad. I only got the Hep shot before going. More than malaria, heed the advice of the other person and make sure to bring some anti-diarrheal medicine. Even though Costa Rica is a third-world country, they are famous for medical and dental care (being comparable to the US, but more affordable) so any kind of health emergency over there shouldn't be anything they can't treat you for. HAVE FUN THOUGH! Make sure you drink some Imperial beer and visit Manuel Antonio nature park/preserve

Old 02-03-2009, 02:36 PM

45 posts, read 172,408 times
I was in CR a couple of years ago and I didn't get any shots prior to going. I came back okay (knock on wood). But I will say that the mosquitoes attacked me like a blitzkrieg! I had so many mosquito bites after trekking through the rain forests! I'd look at my shoulder and see 4 or 5 of them at a time lined up sucking my blood! I think that was the worst part of my trip. I ate at every local spot I could on both coasts and didn't get any diarrhea at all. Last year I attempted to donate blood to the red cross and I was denied because of my trip to CR. They said I had to wait a year or two after my trip before I could donate because of some of the diseases in the country i.e. malaria and dengue fever. But have fun, I had a blast. It was one of my most memorable vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville