Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 07:26 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times

Advertisements

I still very much say go for it, at least try. Lots has changed since the 2005. I think more people live downtown now, but I never understood the cruiseship beef.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 06:28 PM

Florida losing ground in attracting future Super Bowls | jacksonville.com

Interesting new story about this. Seems the priority is the College Championship. I still think Jacksonville should go for other events to boast its resume.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:51 AM

5,176 posts, read 6,136,412 times
In my opinion not much has changed as far as downtown goes since the last Super Bowl that would really warrant us getting another chance at the big game...................with that being said I do believe there has been small changes in a positive direction. We seem to be getting more entry level sporting and concert events.

Events like March Maddness have always been favorable and we seem to be drawing more headliners as far as concerts go

It is crazy how stadium size is sort of like p@nis envy.......Wifi, swimming pools and the largest sports monitor in the NFL can't make or break a team.......I would be just as happy in a plain jane stadium if our Jags could put together a few wining seasons

Old 01-30-2015, 07:34 AM

4 posts, read 5,149 times
Talking Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Jacksonville did a good job hosting the Superbowl. Other than hotels, we really don't need much else to prepare for the SB
I disagree. The city of Jax would need alot more than hotels. I would like to see more than churches. We need more tour destinations, recreations like Adidas/Nike Sport Camps for the youth and the mature, hotels, restaurant scenes, fashion scenes, shopping scenes, a better towndown and better transporation systems. By having all of these and more, make Jacksonville, FL, more attractive to have a superbowl and tourists to visit.

Last edited by ob198509; 01-30-2015 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-30-2015, 07:59 AM

4 posts, read 5,149 times
Default winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
In my opinion not much has changed as far as downtown goes since the last Super Bowl that would really warrant us getting another chance at the big game...................with that being said I do believe there has been small changes in a positive direction. We seem to be getting more entry level sporting and concert events.

Events like March Maddness have always been favorable and we seem to be drawing more headliners as far as concerts go

It is crazy how stadium size is sort of like p@nis envy.......Wifi, swimming pools and the largest sports monitor in the NFL can't make or break a team.......I would be just as happy in a plain jane stadium if our Jags could put together a few wining seasons
Nice comment about the Jaguars. Jagauars do need to start winning.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:42 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob198509 View Post
I disagree. The city of Jax would need alot more than hotels. I would like to see more than churches. We need more tour destinations, recreations like Adidas/Nike Sport Camps for the youth and the mature, hotels, restaurant scenes, fashion scenes, shopping scenes, a better towndown and better transporation systems. By having all of these and more, make Jacksonville, FL, more attractive to have a superbowl and tourists to visit.
There are a lot of things that would help as far as the Super Bowl is concerned. But the main ones are: 1) Hotels downtown 2) convenient transit 3) Nightlife

1) When the Boutique Marriott in the Laura Trio and the Even Hotel in Brooklyn open, this will help, but we would still be well short of what is required. In 5-10 years, I still don't think downtown Jax will have the demand for hotel rooms that would warrant enough supply for the Super Bowl, so this will still be an issue, but better for it to be less of an issue than it is now.
2) If the Skyway is extended to Brooklyn and San Marco and a Streetcar line is built from the Stadium to Five Points, I think we are more than set. However, the Skyway to Brooklyn is the only thing that might happen in the next 5 years, San Marco extension and Streetcar would optimistically be about 10 years out. And some reliable connector from DT to the beach would really help too, although thats just gonna be some kind of bus. One very positive thing is AAF wanting to extend to Jax next, which, in addition to connecting Jax to Miami and Orlando with high speed rail, would also give us some regular service to St Augustine.
3) Nightlife is light years ahead of what it was in 2005. The Super Bowl did bring with it plenty of temporary nightlife, but it's better to have real establishments operating in the urban core, within walking distance of the stadium and downtown hotels. I'd think that at the rate we're going, with Intuition Ale Works moving close to the stadium and Shad Khan trying to redevelop the Shipyards, we'll be ready nightlife-wise in five years.

Old 06-15-2016, 09:06 PM

The closet thing Jacksonville will ever get to a Super Bowl, is the Pro Bowl in Orlando. I don't think the big one will ever return to Jacksonville FL.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
What does it take?
Coolyfett! Now that the Raiders are moving to Las Vegas and Los Angeles has 2 teams, the chances of ever getting another Super Bowl back to Jacksonville are slim to none.

Damn I hate Roger Goodell. He has been wanting the Super Bowl in LA since the time he took over the league. This NFL in Las Vegas thing though....

Old 01-19-2017, 12:31 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Not that there's any real reason to continue this discussion, but just for fun...

Looking at my post from 2 years ago, what has changed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
There are a lot of things that would help as far as the Super Bowl is concerned. But the main ones are: 1) Hotels downtown 2) convenient transit 3) Nightlife

1) When the Boutique Marriott in the Laura Trio and the Even Hotel in Brooklyn open, this will help, but we would still be well short of what is required. In 5-10 years, I still don't think downtown Jax will have the demand for hotel rooms that would warrant enough supply for the Super Bowl, so this will still be an issue, but better for it to be less of an issue than it is now.
2) If the Skyway is extended to Brooklyn and San Marco and a Streetcar line is built from the Stadium to Five Points, I think we are more than set. However, the Skyway to Brooklyn is the only thing that might happen in the next 5 years, San Marco extension and Streetcar would optimistically be about 10 years out. And some reliable connector from DT to the beach would really help too, although thats just gonna be some kind of bus. One very positive thing is AAF wanting to extend to Jax next, which, in addition to connecting Jax to Miami and Orlando with high speed rail, would also give us some regular service to St Augustine.
3) Nightlife is light years ahead of what it was in 2005. The Super Bowl did bring with it plenty of temporary nightlife, but it's better to have real establishments operating in the urban core, within walking distance of the stadium and downtown hotels. I'd think that at the rate we're going, with Intuition Ale Works moving close to the stadium and Shad Khan trying to redevelop the Shipyards, we'll be ready nightlife-wise in five years.
I'd say #1 is not on course. There is no Boutique Marriott going into the Laura Trio at this point nor an Even Hotel in Brooklyn. I had expected both to have "broken ground" at this point. It does seem like Khan is gonna create his own hotel either at Shipyards or Metro Park, and the Brooklyn hotel still seems quite likely, but in any case we are behind my modest projections already. Not to mention that I was predicting we still wouldnt have enough hotel rooms anyway in about 10 years.

#2 is kinda on course but different. Now it looks like we are trying to retrofit the skyway into a single, new system. This means there will be no extension to Brooklyn in the short term, there will just be one larger system and it will likely be a good 10 years before that is completed. AAF from Orlando to Miami is a little behind schedule, but assuming it is successful nothing has changed about them exploring an extension to Jax.

#3 Nightlife is the only thing here that seems to be where I expected it. We've had a few closures in the elbow (burro bar, chomp chomp, northstar, to name a few) but overall things seem to actually be a little better. The Doro district looks very promising (a distillery, a microbrew, and food hall, and more) and will be a way to better connect the downtown core to the stadium district. Yeah, I'd say maybe we're not right on schedule, but at this rate in another 5 years or so Jax would be about where it needs to be with nightlife. Brooklyn, Riverside and San Marco are really exploding on that front and you just need better transit connectivity (#2) to make it a strong enough package for the Super Bowl.

So to recap, I'd say looking out at 10+ years we should be ready to go with transit and entertainment, we just would still have a lack of hotel rooms in the urban core area. Anyway, wouldnt surprise me for us to have a shot in 15 years assuming we still have the team here.

Also, I do think we will see an NFL draft in Jax in the next 5 years.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:47 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
Youll be lucky if the Jaguars are still in Jacksonville in 5 years. With that phony Shad playing one game a year in London he'll eventually screw us and just move the team permanently to London.

Id worry more about that greedy idiot Babby naming the minor league baseball team here the Jumbo Shrimp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville