Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 08:17 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,475,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ob198509 View Post
I disagree. The city of Jax would need alot more than hotels. I would like to see more than churches. We need more tour destinations, recreations like Adidas/Nike Sport Camps for the youth and the mature, hotels, restaurant scenes, fashion scenes, shopping scenes, a better towndown and better transporation systems. By having all of these and more, make Jacksonville, FL, more attractive to have a superbowl and tourists to visit.
Jacksonville is not a tourist city. That foundation is just not in place. I really wanted to see Jax get another one, but just gotta come to terms that window is closing. Atlanta, Phoenix and Houston will just stay in rotation. Now that LA is back and a possible Las Vegas in the future, I just don't see it for Jax in the next 30 years. That's a bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 08:43 PM

7,773 posts, read 10,066,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
I'd say #1 is not on course. There is no Boutique Marriott going into the Laura Trio at this point nor an Even Hotel in Brooklyn. I had expected both to have "broken ground" at this point. It does seem like Khan is gonna create his own hotel either at Shipyards or Metro Park, and the Brooklyn hotel still seems quite likely, but in any case we are behind my modest projections already. Not to mention that I was predicting we still wouldnt have enough hotel rooms anyway in about 10 years.
Well just a couple weeks after I made my post and it appears the Boutique Marriott is back on and looking more likely than ever. I must say that despite my distaste for Mayor Lenny Curry he is proving his commitment to downtown Jax. The $90MM redevelopment of the Laura Trio and Barnett Building will be the tipping point for downtown and really is the linchpin to all potential revitalization efforts. I have hope, nay confidence, that this project will actually move forward now. Shad Khan may realize he's not going at it alone and I can see him stepping up on the Metro Park deal to blow up some major waterfront development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Youll be lucky if the Jaguars are still in Jacksonville in 5 years. With that phony Shad playing one game a year in London he'll eventually screw us and just move the team permanently to London.
No chance the Jags are out in 5 years. None. Not gonna debate whether Khan has any loyalty to Jax or not, but he is a smart businessman and he doubled down on Jax with the locker room reno, the Everbank scoreboards, last year's upgrades, and this year's amphitheater/practice facility. I forget the exact figure but those alone were in the $100M range out of his own pocket. Sure he "fleeced" taxpayers into putting up almost an equal amount, but it would be a complete waste of his money (add another $25M or so for breaking the lease) if he left short term so I'm sure IF he had exit strategies they would not involve the team relocating in the short term. Now...10 years from now, when he's reaped the financial reward for his investments and if London presents itself as a billion dollar gain, then all bets are off. Hopefully his loyalty and commitment to Jax will be real at that point, so we'll see. But just from a practical financial standpoint, the man is keeping the team in town for at least the next 5.

Old 02-05-2017, 02:14 PM

Looks like Houston is having a lot of fun with this game. Hopefully Khan changes his mind about getting another Super Bowl back to Jax. Can't help but want that kind of action back in Duval.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:04 PM

Looks like the city will apply to host the 2019 NFL Draft.

https://twitter.com/ryanohalloran/st...76811392933888

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
Looks like Houston is having a lot of fun with this game. Hopefully Khan changes his mind about getting another Super Bowl back to Jax. Can't help but want that kind of action back in Duval.
Khan changes his mind? He definitely wants to have the Super Bowl in Jax. What he did say was that it's too soon and Jax isnt ready, but there's no doubt his desire is to have one here someday. And he's right...city is not ready yet. But he's doing what he can to help change that...in addition to the NFL draft and all the other things I've mentioned in this thread, I am pretty sure his next announcement regarding Metro Park/Shipyards area or Stadium District in general will include plans for a hotel. I don't get it, cause I don't see any need for more hotel rooms at this point in time, but hopefully he will bring more uses that complement a new hotel.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:08 PM

4,793 posts, read 5,960,388 times
Until you have before and after event availability for bars and restaurants you are not going to get any more growth downtown. If those going to the games or events at both the coleseum and new amphitheater had somewhere to go close by to eat and drink I believe more would stay downtown.

We do pretty well with the NCAA sweet sixteen brackets we have been getting, although talking to those attending from outside the state, they point out the lack of things to do close by during the periods between the games.

Not sure we could pull off the NFL draft either without a pretty good size entertainment area close by.

In regards to the Shipyards, with Shads past experience in dealing with hazardous chemicals and OSHA I would think he now has a different opinion on dealing with the remediation and cleanup of the Shipyards. He is a very savvy business man and it would be in his best interest to let the city clean the property up.

Flex-n-Gate Disaster, Just the Latest Chapter in a Toxic Story |

My two cents.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:17 PM

The Doro District is slowly fitting the bill for bars and restaurants close by. (Intuition Aleworks, Manifest Distillery, and an as yet unnamed Food Hall) Supposedly a couple more things planned for the adjacent buildings to be announced soon. But remember it must be an incremental build. You won't see a full on entertainment district hatch until there are more destination events pulling in more people. The amphitheater will help. But it will all grow hand-in-hand.

As for the Shipyards...most likely Khan is not touching that for awhile. The expected plan is to land swap with Metro Park, and then issue an RFP *ahem hand the keys to Khan ahem* to redevelop. So we'll see what happens, but I'd suspect he's looking at that parcel now. No matter...it will all be positive in the long run assuming we don't just give away everything on a pipe dream.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:35 AM

Day after my post and the dailyrecord has a write up of the Doro District's proposals.

Downtown board to review plans for development that could add bowling alley, bar and retail near EverBank Field

Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 AM

Superbowl here in Atlanta seems to have been a success. I have not lived in Jacksonville for some years (11 years) I see that the Superbowl is booked all the way up to 2024!
2020 Miami
2021 Tampa Bay
2022 Los Angeles
2023 Phoenix
2024 New Orleans

Question remains will Jacksonville get back in the mix? Is Jacksonville good enough now and will it be good enough by 2025? The National Media trashed Jacksonville for hosting the Super Bowl, but will the city allow the media of 2005 haunt them forever? I predict and assume Las Vegas will eventually host & I see Houston & Atlanta doing another bid. Will & should Jacksonville try again?

Old 02-04-2019, 09:15 AM

9,273 posts, read 8,174,607 times
I don't feel like Jax is quite there yet. I wasn't here during the first SB; however, as many have said in this thread, without a viable downtown food and entertainment hub, I don't see how Jacksonville would EVER be chosen over the likes of Phoenix, LV, Miami, etc.

If and when Khan revamps downtown to be more visitor-friendly, I think Jax gets back on the short-list as being a potential host. I also firmly believe the city needs a new stadium that is similar to the Dolphins stadium - with a retractable roof for bad weather. If that ever happens then Jax might be a regular stop for SBs.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:01 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,322,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Jacksonville did a good job hosting the Superbowl. Other than hotels, we really don't need much else to prepare for the SB
That is a major drawback. The cities that host the Super Bowl regularly already have significant hotel capacity in place. Since Jacksonville isn't a major tourist destination, that issue isn't likely to be resolved. I don't see the Super Bowl returning, at least not in my lifetime.

I am originally from Jacksonville, and I spent time in town when the city hosted the Super Bowl and I attended several pre-game events. One of the biggest headlines after the game was a sewage backup at the stadium, and bathrooms that were unusable. Add to that the fact that some people had to stay as far away as Orlando and central Georgia, and I don't believe that the NFL is anxious to bring its biggest event back to the city.

I live in Las Vegas now. The Raiders will be here in 2020, and stadium construction is well under way. Hotel rooms definitely aren't an issue here, and I fully expect that a Super Bowl will be played here within the next 5-7 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville