U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 02:50 PM

72 posts, read 242,022 times

Advertisements

My family and I moved from Atlanta to Jacksonville this past summer. We were completely done with Atlanta and ready to see the beach (or any water)! Atlanta is landlocked. You are stuck in traffic unless you are out between 10-2. Even as a stay at home mom I had to plan my day around that. All the good things about Atlanta in the 1990's were horrible by 2008! You can visit anytime. Getting my drivers liscense took 15 minutes here. LITERALLY. In Atlanta I would have had to plan for an entire day of irritation. And everyone is nice. In ATL there are so many attitudes, especially with public workers! Living here is so much more laid back than anywhere in Atlanta. Atlanta is a great place to have a large house for a decent price. Along with a big SUV. Over run with subdivisions. Here isnt so much like that. Its definately a smaller house for the money here- but you get a much better lifestyle. We live in an area with great schools here and beach proximity. I will say that with kids we had to think about schools alot more than we did in Atlanta. That is one of the downsides. But there arent many!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 AM

531 posts, read 1,328,882 times
Biggiechri I feel ya on the driver liscense issue been there done that. I do miss some of ATL,,but I have many friends and can always visit. I go atleast once a yr.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:45 AM

23 posts, read 63,179 times
Atlanta > Jacksonville ........easily.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM

72 posts, read 242,022 times
Keith...My immediate family is there so I can go whenever as well. We've been back a number of times. The water proximity is very nice here. The IC and the river as well as the ocean. I really didnt realize I would miss it so much living in Atlanta. If I was younger, (and I am not that old) I would think Atlanta would be a better choice. But for people that have kids and enjoy a more laid back lifestyle, Jacksonville is a better option. Planning your life around traffic is not fun and unfortunately that is just a way of life in Atlanta an hour plus commute one way gets old, especially when you have a family. GuitarNhand...Atlanta has its benefits depending on what your priorities are. When we moved to Atlanta in 1996, it was PERFECT for us. Would never have wanted to live here, nothing to do but the beach, I would have thought! But now that we have a family this is a less stressful option. Just my opinion.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 AM

23 posts, read 63,179 times
Jax is definitely a laid back city, especially for it's size, with southern charm!

Old 02-28-2009, 07:05 AM
rtt

265 posts, read 713,266 times
There are a ton of former Atlantans living here in Jax. I think they were realistic about "dialing down' their expectations, though. Can you find ethnic food? Yes. Is Jax a lively colorful place? Not exactly. It depends on what you're looking for. Do you know anyone who's moved from your area down here? You might ask them for a comparison to help you make up your mind.

Old 03-15-2009, 06:00 PM

7 posts, read 17,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfgrad94 View Post
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]I’m not sure where you stand politically, but you have to realize if you move to certain parts of Jacksonville, you should be prepared for very conservative attitudes. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]I live in Orange Park and my 10 year old son attends a school with a good reputation in Clay County. Academically I’m pleased with it, but the teachers have been known to push their belief systems on the children. They have crossed moral lines too many times. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]Also, this is a recent news event in Jacksonville. Should serve as food for thought: [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][URL="http://www.news4jax.com/news/18286355/detail.html"][FONT=Arial]http://www.news4jax.com/news/18286355/detail.html[/FONT][/URL][/FONT]
And for anyone in ATL, you do realize that it can be very liberal and forcibly afro-centeric in terms of outlook on history. As far as proselytizing 'faith', I know of two public junior schools in Marietta teaching kids 'homosexuality awareness and equality' so..as far as pushing one's moral (or lack thereof) is all over the country. For every example you can prove, I can can show you 50 news links of just the opposite. So I don't know what you're complaing about ... isn't that just diversity?

Old 03-15-2009, 07:03 PM

7 posts, read 17,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
There are a ton of former Atlantans living here in Jax. I think they were realistic about "dialing down' their expectations, though. Can you find ethnic food? Yes. Is Jax a lively colorful place? Not exactly. It depends on what you're looking for. Do you know anyone who's moved from your area down here? You might ask them for a comparison to help you make up your mind.
Atlanta is not a lively and colorful place IMO. What is that anyway? It's a large urban sprawling with lots of ecomony (or at least it used to have) and lots of traffic and is landlocked. It feels very different than even 10 years ago - very, very different. It feels like a UN charter and some say they like "diversity" and others like demographic homogeneity - of which I'm in favor of the latter. Time to move on...i can't wait to get out. I don't want to raise a family here. Something to look forward to.

If you like ATL - I'll sell you my house at a good price!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:07 PM

57 posts, read 131,105 times
We just moved from the atl to jax about 3 months ago. We love it here. We live near atlantic beach. We are 10 miles from anything and everything you could want. Including the beach. The weather is a lot better here. The main think I noticed here compared to Atlanta is Jax people run A LOT of red lights and they seem to honk alot while driving. IMHO Jax is a lot better than the atl. There is one other down side if you like sports. There is only 1 major sports team here. In atlanta you have baseball, football, and basketball. Here you only have football.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 25,241 times
I have heard many people call Jacksonville the next Atlanta. I moved to Jacksonville 9 years ago from Philadelphia. It was an adjustment (much slower) for the first 9 months and I didn't like that part. However, now you couldn't get me out of here if you tried! I love north Florida. It has the best weather and the people are great. Jacksonville has really grown too and it is continuing.

I think you would love Jacksonville. It is a great place to live. I am not a big fan of Orange Park (Westside) and I wouldn't live on the Northside (crime there) either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville