U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:21 AM

31 posts, read 126,897 times

Advertisements

Hello community,

I'm considering of moving my family from ATL, GA to Jacksonville, FL. Why? Reason is because of a possible job offer and I enjoy going to the beach. However, my wife doesn't care too much for it. I also have an infant with a second due in three months. We like diversity and enjoy all types of ethnic food. I was wondering if anyone have recently move to Jacksonville and what they think of the city and such. My wife is also concern about Hurricane. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM

754 posts, read 2,608,061 times
We had a hurricane here in Jax in the 1960's (a big one), then we didn't get another one until 2004 (a Cat 1 and a tropical storm). We had a tropical storm last year, too.

Four named storms in over 40 years? Not too shabby.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:47 PM
3VP

9 posts, read 15,568 times
If you are a long time resident of Atlanta and enjoy the diversity and the fast past style the city offers,you may not like Jacksonville. I have been here for 14 years and live in Orange Park. Orange Park is nice, w/ some good schools. I personally don't care much for Jacksonville in that it is behind the times 10-15 yrs.compared to Atlanta pertaining to cultural events, entertainment, and the arts.
The only true attraction is the beach and that depends on which one you visit. St. Agustine is nice, a little touristy, go in the off season as with any thing in the way of a tourist destination. If you are looking for work it may not be very easy since we are expieriencing a very high unemployment rate.
We are in the top 5 for foreclosures in the country so if you are looking to purchase a home they are in abundance here as well homes available by those trying to leave. Jacksville is a transiant town with a lot of millitary folk coming and going. I lived in Atlanta for 3 yrs ( Norcross area) and I loved it, but that was in the late 80's ... I'll take Stone Mountain any day over the beach. For as large as Atlanta is I was suprised how helpfull alot of people were, that southern hospitality thing.
I grew up in Orlando and didn't see so much of that sort of behavior there and see even less here.
So if you are used to southern hospitality be prepaired for some major disapointments along the way. If you are thick skinned none of this will matter. I would add thogh that it is getting harder to find native floridians here ...wonder why? We will have to start another thread with that one. As far as hurricanes go, it is rare to have one come through Jax. 3-4 yrs ago we had to minor ones come the same year, nothing severe just some trees down and power outages up to 4 days in some areas. In a nut shell if you don't mind the occasional strong wind, nieghborhood nazi's, bad drivers,high crime rate,slower pace (I believe the road rage issues here are due to the big city meets small town syndrom),then come on were happy to have you.
then welcome

Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM

263 posts, read 524,915 times
Atlanta people are so friendly, I remember that. Also, the southern hospitality thing, although more in Northern FL than anywhere else, seems to be missing in Jax as newcomers move in from the Northeast.

I did know that crime was an issue, but I didnt know road rage was now an issue too (like mentioned above). That is sad. Especially since I have known Jax since a little kid (born in FL) and I remember when places like Jax and Orlando didnt have these issues. Miami has had them since I can remember, but that's Miami. I dont even consider it Florida or the United States for that matter. Atlanta probably also has better pay/jobs. Even though the traffic is horrible in Atlanta, I find that the people are more courteous and they dont honk a lot.

And 3PV, I know what you mean about not even able to find many natives anymore. I didnt know Jax was that transient, but after all these yrs and changes (especially demographically), I'm not suprised. They are pretty much non-existent the further south you go too.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 PM

561 posts, read 1,891,826 times
Honestly, I think Jax and Atlanta are very similar in most respects. Just take into account that Atlanta is 4 times bigger than Jax, and the comparison works pretty well. Similar culture, similar built environment, similar crime and education issues. Jax is just 1/4 the size, warmer, and closer to the beach.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:13 PM
3VP

9 posts, read 15,568 times
Well I guess it's a whole different world than what it used to be. a lot of folks who are some what new to Florida want to come here for obvious reasons, the climate, the beaches, flat land, ect. Florida is and will probably always will be the " retirement destination" for most of the country and that in it's self will continue to contribute to low wages accross the board. Those who are young and ambitious have quite a challenge to make it a better place to raise a family, as it was 20-30 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I love Florida on a geographical level. I just don't care for it's personality to much. I have family in Tenn., Decatur to be exact (between Knoxville & Chattanooga) and it is beatifull country. My family and my sisters family have been planning a move to Decatur for 2 yrs. On one of our scouting trips too the area we found a small community there who's population was rich with Floridians (Sweetwater I believe). Even some of the small mountain towns were a surprise as well. We stopped at a small home town diner north of Knoxville and it looked like a place where the waitress would come to the table and speak with a hard Tenn. draw. The Owner comes out and talks to a table of women by us and started talking about places we all new very well in Orlando. We all joined in and found out that we were all from the same area and went to rival schools and so on. There were 9 people in that restraunt that morning and 7 were from Florida. I think I know where all the floridians are going. Will Tenn. become the new florida just with out the beaches and palm trees? Will Florida be come the new New York, only with out all that snow ? Well in 1year if all goes well this state will be minus 9 natives.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:56 AM

4,540 posts, read 13,498,671 times
Of course Jacksonville has its cons, but IMHO its pros outweigh them. Jax is what it is - a smaller-than-Atlanta city, but it's a large city since it's so spread out over vast amounts of acreage. That's both a pro and a con: the up side is that Jax has many, many diverse neighborhoods; the down side is that one has to drive to get from place to place.

Because it's a city, it has its warts. But nothing different than any other city - crime, road rage, and blah-blah are no different here than anywhere else.

Jacksonville is not culturally dead nor does it lack amenities. I could be doing and experiencing something different every day if I had the energy for it. It's not Atlanta nor NYC nor LA, but who wants a clone anyway?

As for its people and personality, I love it here. I've lived in the mid-Atlantic, midwest, and New England, and by far the First Coast has the friendliest people of all those places.

Jacksonville's geographical location means that it doesn't experience the same kinds of weather as, say, the cities on the Gulf coast or Miami etc. on the southern Atlantic coast. I've not lived here long enough to have any sort of "history" with past hurricanes - the only thing Mother Nature has let me experience was last year's tropical storm (for us in Clay County it wasn't disastrous) and a number of severe thunderstorms. I think about the potential for serious storms, but I'm truly not fearful of them here in Jax.

Read other Jax Forum threads and posts and you'll see that many folks love it here while others don't. It truly is a personal preference and purely depends on your expectations. If you're hoping to find another Atlanta here, you won't, but if you're hoping to find a nice place to live, you will.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:16 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,265,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthcmhoh View Post
Hello community,

I'm considering of moving my family from ATL, GA to Jacksonville, FL. Why? Reason is because of a possible job offer and I enjoy going to the beach. However, my wife doesn't care too much for it. I also have an infant with a second due in three months. We like diversity and enjoy all types of ethnic food. I was wondering if anyone have recently move to Jacksonville and what they think of the city and such. My wife is also concern about Hurricane. Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Move to Jacksonville.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:25 PM

"the up side is that Jax has many, many diverse neighborhoods;"

^^^No offense anyone, but I think the whole "diversity" thing is over-rated. Look at Miami, look at South FL in general, Orlando. There are a lot of mean and angry people there. Obviously other things can attribute to this, but it doesnt seem to help when everyone is from somewhere else and speaking 5 different languages. To me, it spells "lack of a sense of community."

Old 02-19-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3VP View Post
Well I guess it's a whole different world than what it used to be. a lot of folks who are some what new to Florida want to come here for obvious reasons, the climate, the beaches, flat land, ect. Florida is and will probably always will be the " retirement destination" for most of the country and that in it's self will continue to contribute to low wages accross the board. Those who are young and ambitious have quite a challenge to make it a better place to raise a family, as it was 20-30 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I love Florida on a geographical level. I just don't care for it's personality to much. I have family in Tenn., Decatur to be exact (between Knoxville & Chattanooga) and it is beatifull country. My family and my sisters family have been planning a move to Decatur for 2 yrs. On one of our scouting trips too the area we found a small community there who's population was rich with Floridians (Sweetwater I believe). Even some of the small mountain towns were a surprise as well. We stopped at a small home town diner north of Knoxville and it looked like a place where the waitress would come to the table and speak with a hard Tenn. draw. The Owner comes out and talks to a table of women by us and started talking about places we all new very well in Orlando. We all joined in and found out that we were all from the same area and went to rival schools and so on. There were 9 people in that restraunt that morning and 7 were from Florida. I think I know where all the floridians are going. Will Tenn. become the new florida just with out the beaches and palm trees? Will Florida be come the new New York, only with out all that snow ? Well in 1year if all goes well this state will be minus 9 natives.

I know what you mean about all the Floridians in NC. The one thing I noticed (especially the native Floridians) was how happy they are in NC and they were disappointed how FL changed so much. It's just no longer what is used to be. In FL, I meet more people from NY or Latin America than anywhere. I went to college in NC, and lived there for a while, so I met a lot of Floridians! It was good to meet them though, as there are hardly any left in FL anymore.

Tn is a nice place. I like it better the further east you go. Tons of little hilly beautiful towns up there. Very scenic and different from the flat and concrete we see. And like you, a native and still like FL, but just disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville