Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:20 AM

227 posts, read 967,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipseason View Post
I was disappointed that it had so little interesting commercial development though. It needs more density to support a healthy main street, but the place is actually getting lower density as multifamily homes are getting converted back to single family.
Springfield's last effort in revitalization actually peaked at the end of 2005 and has quickly declined since then. Most of the new businesses that were located on main street and several of the side streets are now gone. If you would have driven down main street between Union and 20th at that time you would have seen many restaurants, bar/clubs, art galleries, etc. and signs for "luxury condos coming soon." Now these buildings are boarded up and only the pawn shops are left.

Your exactly right when you said the renovations were "spotty" and that the prices were way to high for serious revitalization. I believe it's one of the main reasons that the last effort (2000-2005) failed and why the neighborhood has moved back into a period of decline (2006-now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,043 times
Hi All,

I do realize this is an old thread, however I am moving to jacksonville in a few months and have been down several times to visit and look at real-estate. I have looked at SpringField, and I am very interested in possibly purchasing a house in that community.

Most of the information I can dig up on the internet is somewhat old (2 to 3 years old). I am trying to find current or recent info on how the community has been doing since 2007, 2008. Has it improved? is it worse? What specifically are the bad areas to stay away from. When I was there last week, I walked around, talked to people, and everyone loved it. (I was around N. Pearl and 4th).

Any information would be great, I have read the community website and facebook page, which are helpful, but the most helpful was talking to people on the street.. although a little bias was present, but that is what I expected.

Any info from current residents or people who are familiar with the area would be great,

Thanks,

Steve

Old 04-23-2010, 08:31 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
There's just a few of us that post on City Data that live in SPR, from what I've gathered...

Myself, Sensai Han, Kelly, Chean 10, & Jax Questions. Sensai Han & Chean 10 just moved here. I've been here for 2 years, Jax Questions for about the same time, & i'm not sure about Kelly.

If you've read www.myspringfield.org, and all the interviews and resources on there then you pretty much get the jist. Some very popular business have opened since 07/08 and the neighborhood continues to improve, obviously. See Jan 2010 Southern Magazine as an example of that, or many other positive press exaples. Virtually every Shadco meeting (every neighborhood in Jax has a police-community monthly meeting called "Shadco") JSO reports that crime is down almost across the board (if you look at the 9 year scale it's quite amazing) and tons of successfull, new pople are moving in. For example, a Mayo doc with 2 kids just bought a house on Hubbard, as well as a policeman. It's really exciting to see the hard work pay off.

Yes, there are still some parts that I wouldn't feel comfortable living in. Well, I would feel fine as single guy....but since i'm married I wouldn't feel fine wit my wife living in those parts.

Generaly speaking these are going to the borders to the East, North, & West (Boulevard, 12th, & Ionia). The only other pockets that still have consistant issues are around 8th & Perry (near the Shell station) and 8th & Liberty (near the BP station). These gas stations cater to the shadey charachters and most residents try not to give them business. They often get the wrong kind of foot traffic at night too. So try and avoid living with-in a block of those if you're able. that being said, good people do liv close to both....it's just a headache for them (again, you ca read about it on www.myspringfield.org)

Another avenue to find out what residents think is to simpley stop in Three Layers, Uptown Market, City Kidz, etc and ask them.

Or contat the SPAR office (the neighborhood's preservation & revitalization organiation) and ask for some info.....they have a tone o good info, and can direct you to people to speak with: 353-7727.
Ask for Jeremy and he'd be more than happy to help.

Also, you can call Srgt Jackson Short, the police departments main man in this zone/sector. he'd be happy to give you his opinion and what he sees. 924-5361.

You said you were hanging around 4th & Pearl. Will & Jamie live on that corner, new residents (navy man and project manager, respectively)

Other nice areas to have a peek at are Silver Street, Market Steet, E. 7th, Laura Street, W. 10th, E. 9th, Hubbard Street, etc, etc, etc.

FYI - There's free Bike Tour of the neighbrohood (to coincide with Home Tour) on May 8th @ 10am, starting at Three layers. That would be a fanatstic way to meet people, see the 'hood, get some history, etc.

Anyways. I have a ton of other info too, if you want it.

Adios!

Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdade View Post
Hi All,

I do realize this is an old thread, however I am moving to jacksonville in a few months and have been down several times to visit and look at real-estate. I have looked at SpringField, and I am very interested in possibly purchasing a house in that community.

Most of the information I can dig up on the internet is somewhat old (2 to 3 years old). I am trying to find current or recent info on how the community has been doing since 2007, 2008. Has it improved? is it worse? What specifically are the bad areas to stay away from. When I was there last week, I walked around, talked to people, and everyone loved it. (I was around N. Pearl and 4th).

Any information would be great, I have read the community website and facebook page, which are helpful, but the most helpful was talking to people on the street.. although a little bias was present, but that is what I expected.

Any info from current residents or people who are familiar with the area would be great,

Thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve - The one thing I can say 100% is that no matter what part of Florida or neighborhood you're interested in - you should rent there for a while before you consider buying. You know what you like - what you're looking for - and a stranger on a chat board can't tell you everything. When you rent - you can try things on for size. For example - we were interested in golf and tennis. We took out trial memberships in various clubs to get an "inside view". Frequently - things weren't what they appeared to be on the surface.

In particular - please note that despite a slight improvement in the real estate market in Florida - it is still pretty much a disaster. There are over 14,000 foreclosures pending in Jacksonville alone. I took a quick look at the Springfield area (using Realty Trac). The first house I found sold for $320k in 2008 - and is now on the market (bank-owned) for $131k. Springfield isn't unique - there are neighborhoods all over the metro area that are littered with foreclosures. Now you may wind up getting the buy of a lifetime in such an area - or a place that becomes untenable a few years down the road. And your experience may depend on whether you stay for 2 years or 20. But before I sunk money into a place - I'd live in the area for a while and draw my own conclusions. Robyn

Old 04-24-2010, 08:04 AM

what Fsu said.

Old 04-24-2010, 03:18 PM

627 posts, read 1,291,094 times
I have not moved down yet. Still making arrangements for my current house and finishing up some work related and personal things.

I tell you though - I am so happy I chose Springfield. Driving around during that week gave me a good view of Jax as a whole and personally, I think Springfield is my kind of place. Its proximity to all the things important to me is perfect. I bought a house. I am not afraid of the economy or the state of the whatever. I create my own life, my own happiness, my own problems.

I am more interested in the inner-things... the profound. When I went to the beaches, during the few moments I spent there, I was able to sync up the depths of my thoughts of it to the actual sight and experience.

Nothing is perfect. But I don't need perfect. All I need is what I have, when I have it.

I am always reminded of the words of one of my Masters - Lao Shr Lin, who said - "it is not what you want, it's what you got". This is a martial arts concept that teaches that no one is going to punch or kick at you the way you want them to.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:04 AM

3 posts, read 4,295 times
Choose your location based on city-data, and your likes/dislikes. Posters using words like arrogant, and ignorant should not be seen as anything but their own hangups. Visit before you buy, that will explain a lot!

Old 04-28-2010, 07:27 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,131,120 times
FSU813-

My kids and I went to 3 Layers last night and loved it. Great vibe and we will be back. There was a table of half a dozen or so folks talking about Jax- what is wrong with it, how to make it better, etc. Spirited debate. Before we left, I asked if any of them posted here- LOL! A couple said that they don't any more and advised me to go to metrojax. I had seen your pix in your profile, so knew that you weren't there, but was hoping some of the rest of the Springfield CD crowd would be there.

We will be back. I just wish that we lived closer. Food and coffee were great, but even better was the sense of community that we felt. (You may insert major "I told you so" here )

One thing that I would caution for any not familiar with the the area is to take 6th back out to Main when leaving. I ended up driving down Walnut to get back downtown and it's not a good place to be at night. The men that approached our car were not from the SPAR welcome committee. But it was a number of blocks from 3 Layers- an area that felt very safe.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Yes, i'm very familair with that group. They are the guys that run the www.metrojacksonville.com website. I have attended thier open meetings on occasion. They are an increasingly influential urban planning/development advocacy group, basically, that has some great discussions about city-wide policy, planning, etc. You can thank them, in large part, for getting the newly released 2030 Mobility plan to include commuter rail & trolley.

However, they have thier own agenda, which sometimes clashes with SPR residents. One outspoken, charming, and convincing member in particular has a very negative reputation with in SPR and other circles. An earned reputation. So don't believe everything you hear from them concering certain issues.

For legitmate conversation without an agenda, residents use www.myspringfield.org. Events, interviews, discussion, etc.

Walnut Street isn't as renovated as other parts of the neighborhood, probably 33% renovated, 66% not. But it's ceratinly "ok". You have to be generally aware of your surrondings at night, but during the day there's little to worry about.

FYI - The Mediterrian style quadroplex one house over from Three Layers starts renovation this Summer. The guys that own Three layers also own Dwellings, a new realty compnay that specializes in the urban core neighborhoods of Riverside, Avondale, Springfield, and San Marco. Dwellings will be renovating that quad, I believe, as well as the abandoned commerical building at the corner of 7th & Walnut (which will be a excercise/training space relatively soon too).

I live on E. 7th, which is one of the nicest streches in the neighborhood, and right around the corner from Three Layers. (look for the FSU flag).

Hopefully you'll be back from the free Bike Tour on May 8th @ 10am (meet at Three layers) and the Home Tour May 7, 8, and 9. Check out www.sparcouncil.org for details, and http://www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...rden-tour.html for pictures of some of the houses.

Also, probably the second most popular restaurant venue in the neighborhood is at the corner of 3rd & Main, Uptown Market & City Kidz cafe. Both are good for lunch, Uptown is good for breakfast or dinner to go too.

If you're intersted in finding out more about anything, just let me know.

In fact, there will be a First Friday party next week.....it's an open invitiation.....

Old 04-28-2010, 07:07 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,379,006 times
<<However, they have thier own agenda, which sometimes clashes with SPR residents. One outspoken, charming, and convincing member in particular has a very negative reputation with in SPR and other circles. An earned reputation. So don't believe everything you hear from them concering certain issues.>>

What are the main areas of disagreement? Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville