Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 07:36 PM

43 posts, read 147,965 times

Advertisements

Okay, so in my search for rentals that would accept me and my zoo I had to keep searching further and further away from Jacksonville.

I think I have a few prospects in St Augustine, but am not sure yet.

Then we get to Palm Coast....quite a treck to my new job, but not unbearable on a temporary basis. one of the property management companies I have spoken to had absolutely no problem with the breed of dog I own, in fact they said "your dogs are welcome here" . Which is great, but kind of creepy in a cult-ish kind of way, lol.

So in my searches of properties in Palm Coast I find ALOT....and CHEAP. For instance, a 2000 SF home, 4 bedroom 2 bath, brand new, for $1250.00 a month. The list goes on and on, similar SF, add a pool, $1350.00! How is this possible? Too many vacant homes? Why is that? Is there something wrong with the area? Is it seriously a cult and we should steer clear?

The homes are BEAUTIFUL, and Giant, and well within our price range, can someone please clue me into what the deal is? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Jaime

Old 03-22-2007, 08:05 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingme View Post
Then we get to Palm Coast....quite a treck to my new job, but not unbearable on a temporary basis. one of the property management companies I have spoken to had absolutely no problem with the breed of dog I own, in fact they said "your dogs are welcome here" . Which is great, but kind of creepy in a cult-ish kind of way, lol.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Jaime
See other threads/posts re: Palm Coast

The major builders have overbuilt. They are desperate to get SOME money. Dicker with them, you might get a better deal. And, beware, have EVERYTHING in writing re: your zoo.

Don't know where you're working in Jax, but it's at least 60 min. from PC, on 95.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:14 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Palm Coast su cks. Seriously. That's why it's cheaper there than other places. There are other threads on this in the main Florida forum (not on the Jacksonville section). There's NOTHING there and it's a far trek to anywhere and anything. Personally I don't like it at all. The neibhorhoods are awful. Empty houses all over the place, many have no sidewalks, some aren't finished and look like they won't ever be. Hardly any businesses there. You will need to go to Walmart for everything. I don't like Palm Coast at all.

Like you, I have checked it out 3 times because of the cheaper prices. But my conclusion is there's no way in he ll I"m living there.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
See other threads/posts re: Palm Coast

The major builders have overbuilt. They are desperate to get SOME money. Dicker with them, you might get a better deal. And, beware, have EVERYTHING in writing re: your zoo.

Don't know where you're working in Jax, but it's at least 60 min. from PC, on 95.
I'm working off Phillips Highway, Davis Creek Ct. If I were to rent in northern Palm Coast I'm looking at atleast 45-60 minute commute. I'm thinking on the temp. it might not be that bad.

I have spoken with the people I'm to work for and they have nothing bad to day about Palm Coast, just that it's far.

Thanks for the heads up about having everything in writing, I will def. do that if we decide to rent there. I have also spoken to a few people who love it there, and they commute to Jax as well.

I'm so confused!!!! I need a place to call home atleast for a little while, and I'm afraid Palm Coast may be my only option (with pit bulls). I intend to buy closer to Jax...we'll see.

ANy more advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Jaime

Old 03-22-2007, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Palm Coast su cks. Seriously. That's why it's cheaper there than other places. There are other threads on this in the main Florida forum (not on the Jacksonville section). There's NOTHING there and it's a far trek to anywhere and anything. Personally I don't like it at all. The neibhorhoods are awful. Empty houses all over the place, many have no sidewalks, some aren't finished and look like they won't ever be. Hardly any businesses there. You will need to go to Walmart for everything. I don't like Palm Coast at all.

Like you, I have checked it out 3 times because of the cheaper prices. But my conclusion is there's no way in he ll I"m living there.
Thanks for the advice. I will check the Florida forums.

As far as there being nothing there as of yet, that doesn't really bother me. I'm a home-body who just wants a nice place to relax. I've heard the schools are good though, is that not true? I've also heard it's a "up and coming" area....It's so hard when you're coming from so far away, especially with my circumstances, noone near Jax will give us a chance, sad really.

Thanks again, any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Jaime

Old 03-22-2007, 09:42 PM

EEK! Pits. Very few rentals in Palm Coast have fenced yards and pit bulls are on the "bad dog" list in this county. You may need to get renter's insurance.
Your neighbors may be terrified & complain.

You might want to think out in the country, rural St. John's or Clay County. Better for your dogs & closer commute for you.

Old 03-22-2007, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinegirl View Post
EEK! Pits. Very few rentals in Palm Coast have fenced yards and pit bulls are on the "bad dog" list in this county. You may need to get renter's insurance.
Your neighbors may be terrified & complain.

You might want to think out in the country, rural St. John's or Clay County. Better for your dogs & closer commute for you.
Come on.....there is no need for an EEK when it coms to pits. I have done Pit Bull rescue for 2 years and the majority of people are just uneducated when it comes to the breed. First and formost they are DOGS, they are the same species as your "loveable" labs and your little poodles. They are ALL canines.

If people would stop following the media like SHEEP they would do a little research and learn that the American Pit Bull Terrier is a wonderful loving family pet. Did you know that Petey from the Little Rascals was a Pit Bull?
Did you know that Sgt. Stubbs, a decorated World War II Hero was a "pit bull". Did you know that many "pit bulls" work as police dogs and search and rescue dogs? The American Pit Bull Terrier is the most abused/neglected breed in the history of dogs because irresponsible people want them because they think they are "tough". These same people abuse/starve/neglect/fight these poor dogs. The public needs to embrace these dogs as the victims they are.....not hate and persecute them.

I have two American Pit Bull Terriers. They are house-trained, crate-trained, obedience-trained, CGC certified members of my family. Why should I be punished, as a responsible owner, forthe actions of others with their dogs???

Don't people understand that even if you erradicate one breed of dog, the irresponsible dog OWNERS are still there, and they will obtain another breed to destroy...maybe next time it will be your beloved pet. STOP this insanity!

Back to the quoted response....of course I will obtain Renters Insurance, any reponsible person would. Also, fenced yards DO NOT MATTER since I would NEVER let my dogs OFF-LEASH. Anyone who let's their dog off-leash is breaking the law.

Side note... Remember the story of the woman who received the very first face transplant? Guess what breed of dog tore her face off.....

Any guess???

It was a Labrador Retriever...

All dogs have teeth.....all dogs can bite. There are no bad dogs, only bad owners. Wake up people, save the pit bull.

Jaime

Old 03-22-2007, 10:39 PM

Sunshinegirl~

Wasn't meanin to jump down your throat, I hope you don't take it that way...I'm just frustrated with the general opinion about my dogs, since they are SO WRONG!

Old 03-22-2007, 11:49 PM

I did not take it as such. Think about your babies. If they're used to being cooped up and only being out and on a leash when you're home, then Palm Coast is fine. Please look at the other threads re: Palm Coast.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:45 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingme View Post
Come on.....there is no need for an EEK when it coms to pits. I have done Pit Bull rescue for 2 years and the majority of people are just uneducated when it comes to the breed. First and formost they are DOGS, they are the same species as your "loveable" labs and your little poodles. They are ALL canines.

If people would stop following the media like SHEEP they would do a little research and learn that the American Pit Bull Terrier is a wonderful loving family pet. . Wake up people, save the pit bull.
Jaime
Jamie I agree with you there are good and bag dogs in every breed.
I do greyhound adoption and you would not belive how many time in the past 15 years I have had to educate people that the information they get from the "media" is wrong.
The biggest misinformation is that the greyhounds are highstrung and need lots of room to run .
Wrong they are couch potatos and sleep around 14 hours a day and iif you take one on a 4 mile walk you will end up carrying them home

I have a couple neighbors that have pits one, I take care of when he goes out of town. you can't find a bigger "love bucket" than this dog. he loves to give kisses and rolls over to have his belly rubbed.
there is a house that is for rent in our neighborhood I am not sure if they would be OK with any kind of dog but I can ask if you want. We are about 15 mins form phillips highway
I am the same as you with the leash thing. why would anyone take a risk with their pet by leaving them off a leash unless they are in a fenced area. there are to many unknows. As a matter of fact when you adopt one of our greyhounds you sign a contract that states you agree to keep them on a leash unless they are in a fenced area.

Karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville