U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 03-12-2009, 10:42 AM

859 posts, read 2,281,197 times
Default Times-Union

Anyone worried about the only newspaper we have in JAX might go bankrupt like few others have in other cities?

To be frank, I'm worried that if they do go down, how are we suppose get our ads and coupons? They could use some city bailout plan.

As I type this, their website is down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-12-2009, 11:54 AM

1,901 posts, read 2,011,940 times
I don't think Jax could go without a major newspaper in town. If the TU were to shut down operations, I'd expect a smaller paper to fill the void (like the Daily Record) or a regional paper to move in (eg Orlando Sentinel). I guess if that happened, they'd probably have those coupons for ya.

Unread 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM

561 posts, read 1,164,327 times
If by "worried" you mean "ready to celebrate" then, yes.

Maybe it's a generational thing, but I don't get my news from the print media anymore, and I don't really think they add any value that won't be filled by other outlets upon their demise.

Unread 03-12-2009, 12:43 PM

52 posts, read 95,230 times
Most likely they would continue to publish while the parent chain reorganizes under bankruptcy. But the potential demise of any paper is nothing to celebrate, even beyond the jobs lost by some very hardworking people. (12-14-hour days and low pay are common in newspaper newsrooms.) The "other outlets" referred to earlier, whether internet, TV, or radio, often simply pick up the work of newspaper reporters and editors (and television network reporters and editors, to a lesser extent). And the Associated Press cannot come close to covering your town and state the way even a mediocre daily newspaper can. Nor can local radio and TV stations, or weekly "shopper" papers. They don't have nearly enough reporters and editors, experience, or the freedom from interference by advertisers to do that job the way a newspaper can. So support your local newspaper.

Unread 03-12-2009, 07:07 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,066,402 times
Newspapers are getting double teamed right now. One way is from the economy, the other is from the fact that newspapers in general are becoming irrelevant. You cant really save what doesn't have a future.

Yes yes, I know many people still enjoy getting up in the morning & flipping through their paper. But the paper itself will never ever be able to compete with their web counterparts that can be updated throughout the day.

As technologies like the Kindle & just mobile devices (phones) in general become more & more part of our everyday lives, the way we get information is obviously reflecting that.

It always sucks when major transitions like this happen because it devastates the "old ways" of doing things & therefor many people lose jobs. But I honestly dont see how they can be saved, at least not in their current form. This is basically the weeding out of old ways & is inevitable.

Unread 03-12-2009, 07:32 PM

335 posts, read 685,208 times
Speaking of the Kindle, you can subscribe to some major papers using the Kindle, including the New York Times and the WSJ. The problem is, the Kindle is really designed for paperback books. It is too small for something like a paper or magazine. Plus, everybody has to go through the Amazon gateway.

All of the major print media companies need to pull out all of the stops and make the jump to EPaper, but not necessarily the Kindle. They need something that is tailered to their needs. They need something easily readable, portable, durable, uncomplicated and with enough space to satisfy advertisers. The emphasis should be on portability and readability.

As an example, rumor has it that Hearst has a project underway to put out some sort of device, about the size of an 8 by 11 inch paper, bendable and foldable, on which to publish some of its papers and magazines. I believe the content would be updated wirelessly, at Hearst's expense. Of course, you pay a subscription fee to get content.

Just think of the potential of something like this. The news could be updated as often as it is on the web. Advertisers can do the same, perhaps publishing ads for an event that lasts for an afternoon. With EPaper, newspapers might eventually wind up looking like something out of the Harry Potter movies.

I think it may be a good idea for the papers to give such devices out either for free or at a deep discount, similar to cell phones.

Unread 03-12-2009, 08:03 PM

8,204 posts, read 22,054,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
If by "worried" you mean "ready to celebrate" then, yes.
Ha Ha !

I agree, no tears shed here either . Print newspapers are reaching their natural demise. I think we can expect better journalism coming from the internet in the future - the end of one empire, the beginning of a new one.

Besides, we still have Folio ! And Folio is free - has been all along.

Unread 03-12-2009, 09:41 PM

52 posts, read 95,230 times
Lol. Better journalism from who? Who will write and edit those stories on the internet? Ad revenue for newspaper web sites is miniscule, with no sign of any improvement soon. The print editions pay the salaries of the reporters and editors who bring you the news.

Unread 03-12-2009, 10:12 PM

561 posts, read 1,164,327 times
I don't really buy that argument. Internet content will be generated by television news reports, as well as local niche newspapers (entertainment, business, and legal papers) which might still thrive in the future. But the traditional local newspaper is obsolete and no longer serves any purpose.

I think it's mostly wishful thinking that the internet will rely on print media for content - or that the print media's investigative journalism can't be replaced. EVERYTHING ELSE that a traditional newspaper does is being replaced, so this won't be any different.

With the advent of cable and the internet, everything a newspaper does can be easily replicated by another medium. Classifieds, sports scores, financial market info, comics, movie listings, etc. can all exist without newspapers. As demographics shift, and a few laws are tweaked, the internet will surely take over even things like obituaries and public record notices. Newspapers have nothing left.

I think it's also important to remember the historical context. In the late 19th and early 20th century, newspapers were even more dominant. Even small cities would have half a dozen serious newspapers. But radio and TV killed all that. Newspapers were shrinking and declining even before we were born. However, in typical government fashion, Congress protected the newspapers by prohibiting a local paper and local TV station from being owned by the same company. The internet is a nice big legal loophole which finally allows TV stations to directly compete with papers through their websites. TV will provide the internet with written content, and the local papers will lose.

Unread 03-13-2009, 02:43 AM

1,901 posts, read 2,011,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
However, in typical government fashion, Congress protected the newspapers by prohibiting a local paper and local TV station from being owned by the same company. The internet is a nice big legal loophole which finally allows TV stations to directly compete with papers through their websites. TV will provide the internet with written content, and the local papers will lose.
This was exactly what I was gonna say. Glad I read through the entire thread before posting...I would've just repeated you there.

Interestingly, the Times Union site was recently ranked 4th in the nation for newspaper websites.

Jacksonville.com ranked No. 4 among newspaper sites | Jacksonville.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville