U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 08:45 PM

108 posts, read 240,885 times

Advertisements

Coastal is the new "Cooley". 561 1Ls, wow! There are states that do not have 561 enrolled 1Ls.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 05:32 PM

13,522 posts, read 12,558,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904jax View Post
Coastal is the new "Cooley". 561 1Ls, wow! There are states that do not have 561 enrolled 1Ls.
That's a pretty amazing number. And I thought I went to a big law school - Harvard (about 600 1Ls). How many of those 500-600 at Coastal graduate and pass a bar exam? Robyn

Old 06-13-2010, 06:37 PM

41 posts, read 95,822 times
Default Don't go

Going to Coastal will brand you with a presumption of incompetence, and you will have a very, very, very, very hard time finding a job as a lawyer (if you find one at all). Attorneys in Florida (especially in Jacksonville) consider graduates from there third rate.

It's a very sad situation Florida Coastal has created. This Slavicfish fellow is in for a very rude awakening when he graduates, unfortunately, because an internship is a far cry from a job. Sadly, firms/organizations in Jacksonville use Coastal students as cheap/free labor, with no intention of ever hiring them upon graduation. Hopefully Slavicfish has a family member who will throw him a job.

Coastal or Cooley? Neither. A diploma from either school is like negative life equity.

Just FYI, my stats from Coastal: top 15%, wrote on to Law Review; practicing for a few years now, and future is pretty bleak.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:49 PM

13,522 posts, read 12,558,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoCal19 View Post
Thanks for the info Robin. There is no joint JD/MBA that Ive seen at UF. I agree with you on UF. UF is like the Ivy League of Florida. Its really reputable with employers in Florida and around the US actually. Unfortunately I cannot attend a school that is out of the state of Florida. My job technically would allow for it because I can work anywhere where Im 30 minutes from a branch office but for my wife and soon to be daughters' sake, I cant leave Florida. I will evaluate the job market and my situation when I finish my BSBA at UF in 2012 and decide. I really wouldnt mind going to law school if I have the opportunity.

One thing I have read on several forums is that right now if you dont know someone in a big law firm or have connections its very tough to get a decent job. My uncle in law is a long time partner at White and Case and I was thinking that could give me an in to a huge firm. When that time comes I will see if thats a feasible opportunity.

Apart from knowing someone - or having connections - it is very possible to get jobs because you have expertise beyond that of a typical law school graduate. For example - your tech background might be very useful in legal specialties like patent law or internet law - or other specialty areas that I don't even know exist. That's true in other professions as well. There's an article in today's WSJ about a financial advisor who specializes in working with professional hockey players! There's an old song from a Broadway show (Gypsy) - "You Gotta Have a Gimmick" - and if you can stand out from the herd as a law school graduate because of expertise in another area - it really improves your odds.

With regard to a really huge firm like White & Case - about 2000 lawyers - you have to ask yourself whether that is your cup of tea. Odds are these days that you will work your tail off for 6-8 years - and then not make partner. OTOH - I had dinner with a (French) friend in Paris a couple of years ago. His (American) wife is an associate with White & Case in Paris. And she really liked it (of course - maternity leave and other family benefits in France are more generous than in the US). If you wind up in a very specialized area of law - you may find yourself having to choose between a very large firm that has a department in that specialty - or a small boutique firm that does nothing but your specialty. If the latter - you may have to relocate to very specific parts of the US. I suspect it is easier to specialize in internet law in Silicon Valley than anywhere in Florida . Robyn

Old 06-14-2010, 03:52 PM

15,554 posts, read 20,550,904 times
Again folks, when I was at FSU law, one of my professors encouraged us to reach out to friends who went to schools like Coastal.... he told us that if they are doing well at Coastal, to encourage them to submit applications for FSU law after their first year, as they let some in.

I would encourage Coastal students who rank well to at least give it a shot. UF and FSU are MUCH better and much cheaper.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:21 PM

726 posts, read 2,001,413 times
Justice is definitely a good business. Pay $200 - Go; free pass. If not-go to jail. Monopoly had it figured out long ago.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:07 PM

7 posts, read 16,907 times
Just wanted to add to this conversation. I graduated same year as FCSL_08. I'm sure I probably even took similar classes, had similar stats (although wasn't on law review). I currently have a satisfying job making good money. My experience is that there are many FCSL attorneys in the greater Jacksonville market and the vibe that I have gotten is that they "look out" for each other. I have had nothing but good experiences dealing with other attorneys who did not go to Coastal as well. Do they initially discredit me because I went to a T4? Maybe. But all it takes is professionalism and some strong work to quickly dispell any notion that you'll be a pushover.

I enjoyed my time at Coastal and found the professors to be qualified and instructive. Would I have paid full sticker price, especially given the state of the economy? No. But I enrolled in 2005 when a bad legal market wasn't even really considered. New enrollees certainly need to do their homework and take a practical look at what they expect to incur in debt, what the job market is like in the area they want to practice, and whether he/she is willing to put in the time and effort to work in a somewhat thankless profession (if you're not ready for it).

I'd be happy to answer any questions out there.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:09 PM

Good grades and a positive attitude go a long way. But a huge percentage of (if not most) people graduating from FCSL have neither, and basically expect a job to waiting for them upon graduation, which is not true.

So many students go to FCSL expecting to practice international law or sports law, and then they don't take any practical classes or spend their time trying to network or get meaningful work experience.

Basically, FCSL isn't a terrible idea for the people who manage graduate in the top 15% or so of their class with LR/MC and get some real job experience and have the tenacity to control their lives. But for the rest, FCSL is just $150k of debt and a line on a resume that potential employers will toss in the garbage.

Go at your own risk, but consider yourself warned.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:15 PM

7 posts, read 16,907 times
Completely agree with FCSL_08, which I would say was his/her best post in this whole thread and sums up everything.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:40 PM

To be honest, I really have a pretty bright future. However, I am involved at FCSL and have a lot of contact with the students, and it is a very sad situation. Firms in Florida and nationwide have cut back on hiring, and most Coastal students are being lead to believe that the hiring reduction is temporary and based on largely on "the economy." And that is certainly true for the Foley's and the H+K's out there (nat'l/int'l firms), but demand at smaller local and regional firms hasn't really changed for smaller firms based on the economy - they've changed based on the sheer number on law school grads available.

Firms who used to only get "C" students applying now have their pick of top 10%ers and Law Reviewers, and so nowadays kids with crap grades and no experience do debt collection.

I just hope to enlighten some 0Ls out there to the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville