Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 AM

175 posts, read 600,253 times

Advertisements

I have a cousin who started working at Shane Jacksonville Hospital last year and she has told me that it is a horrible hospital. She's told me that the physicians have cursed and used all sorts of profanity with patients and their families. She said there is absolutely no quality customer service at that hospital at all. She even told me there is a physician that works there that is also a bigot and he makes his displeasure known as he discriminates against gay people and also people of color.

I wanted to know if the reputation of this hospital really that bad?
I'm from Savannah and I have never experienced all of that at the local hospitals in my area. The customer service has always been 1st rate where I am from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
I don't live in JAX so I can't really comment on Shane but I know they have renowned hospitals like the Mayo Clinic and Shands, the Baptist Medical Cntr, and St. Vincents and many many more hospitals with excellent standards. There are crappy little hospitals everywhere in the US and I'm sad to hear there's one in JAX. Where we live, in Vero Beach, we have a great little hospital partnered with Duke University for state of the art heart care. Any and all hospitals deserve a look under a magnifying glass before any elective surgery.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 AM

560 posts, read 2,075,778 times
It's Shands, not Shane.

It's a teaching hospital affiliated with UF. To be blunt, Shands is where all the criminals go after they stab and shoot each other. So any negative reputation that Shands has, is more associated with its clients than its staff.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:30 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,107,768 times
Shands Jacksonville has the only state-approved adult and pediatric Level I Trauma Center in Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia.

A level 1 trauma unit is the highest rating there is.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:39 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
It's Shands, not Shane.

It's a teaching hospital affiliated with UF. To be blunt, Shands is where all the criminals go after they stab and shoot each other. So any negative reputation that Shands has, is more associated with its clients than its staff.

So are you saying that the type of people admitted to Shands is what sets the standard for the deportment of staff and level of customer service? It's that standard that the OP is commenting on.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:31 AM

560 posts, read 2,075,778 times
No, I'm suggesting that the OP's information is probably incorrect, as the only negative comments I've ever heard about Shands involve the clients, not the staff.

Old 03-18-2009, 08:17 AM

45 posts, read 172,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Shands Jacksonville has the only state-approved adult and pediatric Level I Trauma Center in Northeast Florida and Southeast Georgia.

A level 1 trauma unit is the highest rating there is.
Your last statement may be a bit misleading. True it is the only level 1 trauma center in the area but that only means that they have the people on staff and capabilities to handle any type of trauma that may occur, specifically trauma and neurosurgeons. It doesn't relate at all to customer service and professionalism.

I just didn't want anyone to confuse their Level 1 trauma status as an indicator of great customer service.

Shands sounds like any other Level 1 urban trauma center, such as Grady memorial in Atlanta, Cowley Shock Trauma in Baltimore, Cook County Hospital in Chicago, etc. They take care of the most horrible injuries and usually take care of the indigent and criminal population. Taking care of people in those situations will wear down on the most well-intentioned of staff.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,152,240 times
Speaking of Shands serving the indigent patients, here's a recent article about future troubles that may have them turning those folks away.

Funding Change Threatens Shands-Jacksonville - Jacksonville- msnbc.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29434524/ - broken link)

Old 04-07-2009, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 4,941 times
I have a friend who has had many appointments at Shands hospital. They have never been rude or unprofessional - he has been in multiple departments for testing. On the flip side, my neighbor just got a job there and she hates it. Now, she doesnt work with any doctors, but, says the staff where she got hired on at, is very unprofessional and quite nasty. As far as their clientele, I agree with the one poster that they do get all the crime victims, but, they also get those who dont have or could afford insurance as well - or are on welfare. The most horrifying part of a Shands visit would be if you go to the ER. If one plans on being there, better pack a lunch because you could be there for about 12 or so hours!

Old 04-07-2009, 01:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Shands Hospital also has the UF Proton Therapy Institute on it's campus. It's not directly associated with Shands, but simply on it's campus. It's a prestigous center, one of only five in the nation right now, which uses cutting edge cancer treatments. People travel from all over the world, literally, to be treated there. www.floridaproton.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville