Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:07 PM

97 posts, read 404,179 times

Advertisements

We have a "situation". When I was in JAX 3 weeks ago, my son and GF dropped off their puppy at a "groomer" on Beach Blvd (name escapes me...in a strip mall...westbound side...after Kernan I think). I accompanied my son and was instantly repulsed upon walking into this establishment, as there were about 20 or more puppies in makeshift crates for sale. The establishment wreaked...was overcrowded...and when I noticed a "Pom" with obvious mental/neurological issues(left eye looked left, right eye looked at you) I told my sons' GF that there was something wrong with the puppy (okay...I didn't whisper) and that I needed to get out of there. My sons' GF was then told (when I stepped outside) that the puppy wasn't for sale and had neurological issues and twitched.

Well...the kids finished dropping their pup off (to be groomed) and returned a few hours later (without me). The "kids" were walking up to the front door and were approached by a pregnant lady holding a puppy who grabbed their arms and said "please...please take this puppy. I have 4 kids already and another on the way...I can't keep this puppy...My friend bred her...I don't want to give the puppy to this place...please please take her...this is God's will."

I totally lost it when the "kids" returned with their own pup and this new pup. The "kids" cannot...and I mean...cannot afford a 2nd pup (they're both FT college kids and paying their own rent) nor can they successfully raise another puppy..period.

I paid for the 1st puppy shots (as I feared my son, GF and puppy would/could become sick from this puppy) and 1st month of Sentinal last week, as we thought the kids' neighbor wanted the puppy, but....she literally never came home one night and contents of her apartment were moved without her.

We intend to contact the Humane Society of Jacksonville tomorrow, as they have a Pet Surrender program, however...there's no guarantee that they'll accept the puppy. Therefore, I need a backup plan. I need to know if there are other organizations in Jacksonville that guarantee they will not euthanize their animals.

Unfortunately, time is of the essence, as the kids start their drive up to Jersey next Friday for Spring Break. I’d like to surrender Sassy in the next week, but my backup to the backup plan would be to surrender Sassy in New Jersey. Sassy is about 9 weeks old, almost 4 pounds and I swear has the markings of being mixed with a Rotty (dark hair, tan/brown brows and neck and large paws for a pup)…yet the dumb “God’s will” lady said Sassy was a mix of a much, much smaller dog. Ugghh.

Any help/guidance would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks.
MaryAnn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 08:43 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,195 times
Don't take it to a shelter. Take it to a rescue.

Home

Welcome to Shih Tzus & Furbabies, Shih Tzu & Furbaby Rescue is dedicated to rescue, rehabilitaton and rehoming of toy breed dogs

~ S.A.V.E. ~

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/FL28.html

Stars of Amelia

Old 03-21-2009, 12:33 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
At this time, I don't think any of the city/county shelters can guarantee they won't put the dog down. Your story above explains the situation quite well, people are dropping dogs off at shelters in record numbers right now and none of the shelters can keep up .

To top it off, there are some complete idiots running some of the shelters. Take a look at this story to see absolute stupidity in motion:

USDA Cites Clay County Animal Control - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/18977902/detail.html - broken link)

In general, dogs usually stand a better chance of adoption in NJ than in FL (better ratio of adopters to avail dogs in NJ), but even that might quickly be changing in our current economic/housing crisis.

If the dog is indeed a rottweiler or a rottie mix, then the city shelter should be able to provide you with a local rottie rescue contact number. I would ask the city shelter for the reference (Duval, etc.) because they would know which groups regularly rescue the breed from their shelters and those groups would hopefully be the more reputable ones. Keep in mind of course, that the breed rescue groups are also likely to be at full capacity - especially for larger breed dogs.

Please do not place an ad in the newspaper or on Craigslist giving the dog away "to a good home" - this is prime time for dog predators out there to pick up free dogs .

My first hope of course is that the college students will keep the pup. It probably is the pup's best chance. If that's truly impossible, then seeking out breed rescue would be the next best bet. If you still have no luck, then the city shelter is the last resort.

This guideline for placing a dog is very helpful:

Guidelines for Finding a Responsible Home for a Pet | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/guidelines_for_finding_a_responsible_home_for_a_pe t.html - broken link)

I'm also going to DM you some info.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
At this time, I don't think any of the city/county shelters can guarantee they won't put the dog down. Your story above explains the situation quite well, people are dropping dogs off at shelters in record numbers right now and none of the shelters can keep up .

To top it off, there are some complete idiots running some of the shelters. Take a look at this story to see absolute stupidity in motion:

USDA Cites Clay County Animal Control - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/18977902/detail.html - broken link)

In general, dogs usually stand a better chance of adoption in NJ than in FL (better ratio of adopters to avail dogs in NJ), but even that might quickly be changing in our current economic/housing crisis.

If the dog is indeed a rottweiler or a rottie mix, then the city shelter should be able to provide you with a local rottie rescue contact number. I would ask the city shelter for the reference (Duval, etc.) because they would know which groups regularly rescue the breed from their shelters and those groups would hopefully be the more reputable ones. Keep in mind of course, that the breed rescue groups are also likely to be at full capacity - especially for larger breed dogs.

Please do not place an ad in the newspaper or on Craigslist giving the dog away "to a good home" - this is prime time for dog predators out there to pick up free dogs .

My first hope of course is that the college students will keep the pup. It probably is the pup's best chance. If that's truly impossible, then seeking out breed rescue would be the next best bet. If you still have no luck, then the city shelter is the last resort.

This guideline for placing a dog is very helpful:

Guidelines for Finding a Responsible Home for a Pet | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/guidelines_for_finding_a_responsible_home_for_a_pe t.html - broken link)

I'm also going to DM you some info.
Thank you (and I DM'd you also). The college kids already have Jack, so Jack plus Sassy = mom fixes Jack ASAP, mom pays for Sassy's entire 1st year shots/appointments (plus Jack's), Sentinal, food, etc. = mom with a serious attitude. lol sorta
I've spoken to my vet this morning and walked away with a few options. Apparently I was very wrong about the breed. Pekingese and something (I cannot imagine a Rotty and a Pekingese breeding )...Pekingese face for sure...but the colors and paws are "odd".
Worse case scenario, the kids will drive with their pup and Sassy and we'll find a home for Sassy here.
One last question though...what is a dog predator? I must sound ignorant, but I honestly don't understand. Thanks!
MaryAnn

Old 03-21-2009, 02:53 PM

Thank you! I've started my JAX research yesterday, in parellel with Jersey, as there's an application/acceptance policy and we may run out of time in Florida.
MaryAnn

Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM

11 posts, read 30,493 times
Wow am I the only one a little bothered by this persons reference to her 2 adult son or daughters who pay there own rent and such as "KIDS" ????

Old 03-21-2009, 04:18 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,335 times
Kids - is just shorthand for "my sons and daughters". Kids=short and sweet; not bothered by it at all.

Last edited by Ryde41; 03-21-2009 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: one word

Old 03-21-2009, 05:47 PM

6 posts, read 30,597 times
Safe Animal Shelter is a no kill shelter. But they are in Middleburg on County Road 220. If the dog is possibly a Rottie mix, do a google search for Rottie rescue in Jacksonville.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liloxj View Post
Wow am I the only one a little bothered by this persons reference to her 2 adult son or daughters who pay there own rent and such as "KIDS" ????
Doesn't bother me at all that you're bothered.

Umm....MY son...and his GF are attending FCCJ and yes...living in an apartment. MY son and his GF are adults...but yes...are referred as "Kids" by ME (the biological mother... you know...the one that has the right to reference her son as a "kid"). Kindly re-read ALL of my prior posts so you can gain a better understanding of my writing style. Or don't and continue to be bothered by my reference to my son as a Kid (as I most likely will until he's....ohhhhhh....thirty? Did I mention that this is MY son? Oh yeah...I did...

Old 03-21-2009, 08:15 PM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times
Have you tried an animal rescue? I rescued my chihuahua from one. The were wonderful people to work with and are definetly "no kill".. I believe that even if the dog is a mixed breed the pekingese rescues would still take her. I am not sure where your located but I am sure if you contact one they can refer you to a place close to you.

http://www.pekingeserescue.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville