Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple seeking relocation advice for Jacksonville, 200-220K housing budget, rentals, homes in safe neighborhoods, not concerned with nightlife, suburban feel

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 4,162 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I stumbled upon this great forum via google. There is a ton of great information in here, I have been reading everything I can, but honestly, my lack of familiarity with the city is leaving me really overwhelmed.

I am moving to Jacksonville shortly, working at Shands Jacksonville (655 W 8th St) and I am looking for relocation advice.

I am aware the area around the hospital is not the greatest (I am moving actually from a very similar situation, hospital in a higher crime area, living in a nicer area), however I am looking for nice, safe, affordable areas that are within a relatively short commute. I would probably say I would need to be within 10 miles. (maybe 15-20 minute drive at absolute maximum)

We could rent (up to ~$1000 per month) temporarily but would prefer to buy (up to ~$200-220k) and although these are max estimates, we would like to find something as economical as possible. Probably looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom house or apt/condo.

Although I don't have children, I do have a wife, so although schools probably aren't the most important at this point, nice, safe, family type areas would be much appreciated. A more suburban feel would probably be best. We don't really care about nightlife at all.

Any advice is appreciated, please let me know if you think these expectations are even realistic. It sounds like there are a lot of nice areas southside/southeast, but the commutes seem like they get long.

Thank you.

Last edited by 97Alumni; 03-20-2009 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: left out important info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
did you see this recent thread? HELP!! Moving to Jax in JUNE

Riverside and San Marco are both nice and deserve a look. If you just want family environments and suburban atmosphere...then there's a lot to choose from. The commute from the Southside shouldn't be too bad...there will be traffic, but nothing horrendous. Just try to keep your overall distance to a minimum (perhaps neighborhoods north of Baymeadows)

Old 03-20-2009, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,162 times
Thank you for replying - yes, I did see that thread. I appreciate your helpful input.

It seems like most people advise looking at southside for the suburban family life.

Are there any areas in the other directions worth checking out? (SW - wesconnett, ortega, etc; W - duval, etc, N - garden city, etc) And are any of the commutes from those general areas particularly good or bad?

Old 03-21-2009, 01:05 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
I agree, check out the established river neighborhoods of The Southside - the San Marco/San Jose area specifically.

With the current real estate market, you have many houses to choose from that fit your requirements: $220k or well under in many cases, less than 10 miles commute, safe, convenient, etc. If you don't mind a smaller home that needs some updating, there are even some for $100k or so available right now that are in very nice spots.

For San Marco/San Jose, you'll want to look at zips 32207 and 32217. From anywhere in 32207 and the northern part of 32217, your commute should be under 20 minutes and could be as little as 10 or 15 minutes depending on where you end up living.

On the West side of the river, I would stick to Avondale, Ortega, Riverside, Fishweir and maybe a few others in that immediate vicinity. I think the zips of 32204 and 32205 will cover those areas.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM

870 posts, read 2,179,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Alumni View Post
Thank you for replying - yes, I did see that thread. I appreciate your helpful input.

It seems like most people advise looking at southside for the suburban family life.

Are there any areas in the other directions worth checking out? (SW - wesconnett, ortega, etc; W - duval, etc, N - garden city, etc) And are any of the commutes from those general areas particularly good or bad?
We live in the Mandarin area. My husband teaches across the street from Shands. It is not a bad commute at all, so you have many, many options of where to live.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:26 AM

7,777 posts, read 10,158,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Alumni View Post

Ortega is a very nice area. I'm not really familiar with the rest of em...seriously though, lots of good suburban locations. Especially if you like gated communities with golf courses and tennis clubs.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM

459 posts, read 1,417,376 times
We could rent (up to ~$1000 per month) temporarily but would prefer to buy (up to ~$200-220k)

if you can only afford $1000 in rent, how on earth can you afford a home over $200K? have a lot to put down?

Old 03-28-2009, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 17,343 times
Default Jacksonville is diverse

You will find a plethora--nay, a veritable cornucopia of residential properties to choose from both for rentals and to buy. Once you see some of the places where you can live, you will be in much better position to decide. There's the beaches, the St. Johns river areas, and the Arlington, Ft. Caroline areas have nice properties near the water or with great views that are affordable.

Take advantage of the uniqueness of Jacksonville to find a great place to live.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:24 AM

12 posts, read 38,635 times
Definitely check out the Ortega area. I'm not sure about home prices right now in the area but there are a lot of homes for sale. It is a beautiful area but in rush hour traffic it might take 30 min to get to Shands. We live in old Ortega and work off of I95 N (pass by Shands every day) and it takes us about that long to get to work. Good luck to you !!!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:49 AM

16 posts, read 54,225 times
I moved to Jacksonville a few years ago, and am so glad I listened and came to the Southside. Of course, there's always areas everywhere that aren't the best, but I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in jax, except the beaches of course. Definitely check it out. The southside has a good feel to it, especially towards the intercoastal. Rent is affordable, has the best shopping in jax and is all very local and commute anywhere worth going in short time. Taking JTB , 95 towards shands in 15 minutes max. And the beach is closer than that. I hate going to any other part of jacksonville in fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville