Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 06:06 PM

11 posts, read 27,385 times

Advertisements

I have a son who is the youngest kindergartener (age 5 and just makes the cut off) and who is recently tested for giftedness. His IQ test said he is a 125 but we think he might be higher. His achievement test scores range from the 130s to the 150s. He is extremely verbal and always needs more challenge yet his verbal scores were his lowest about 116. We think this might be because of his maturity level and perhaps nervousness when testing. He is being restested at the end of the summer to see if he can achieve 130. In our schools you need a 130 to get into the gifted program.

I am trying to figure out if I can put him in a school that is better for him. He needs academic rigor but we still want him to be a kid. I have looked into Jax Beach Elementary but even if he is in a gifted class he would still be learning 1st grade work next year. I wasn't impressed when I went there. He is functioning at the level of a 3rd grader.

I need someone who has a gifted child and has been through this to give me some guidance. I feel like noone has any answers for me on how to work with a child this bright. Also, he is extremely smart with computers to the point of shocking us. I can't find any computer classes for young kids. He needs a program to learn some more basics but would then be good in programming, web building etc.

Can any of you give me some direction and hope? I need to know what schools are best for gifted children that really allow them to be challenged in a multitude of ways.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM

560 posts, read 2,076,518 times
Best of luck.

Honestly, I'm of the opinion that your involvment as a parent will be MUCH more influential than any particular gifted program. You should still put him in gifted or private school to make sure he isn't bored or subject to excessive bad influences, but even the best program is no substitute for a proactive parent.

Even the best schools are simply not good enough at the elementary level. The parent has to be the one who goes the extra mile and keeps challenging their gifted children. You have to be the one to teach them long division and fractions two years ahead of time. You have to be the one to teach them middle-school grammar in 3rd grade. You have to give them advanced reading material. You have to be the one who teaches them about geography, history, science, etc, and somehow find a way to make it fun without putting too much pressure on them.

It's not an enviable task, because you have to walk a very fine line. You can't be that crazy psycho parent who puts too much pressure on your kids (especially at 5 - most of the important stuff doesn't start happening until late middle-school). However - no matter what the teachers say - you can't leave the education up to just them, even in the gifted program.

I wish I could help with specific school advice, but I can't. It sounds like you are on the right track by demanding gifted programs and the most advanced classes possible. Just make sure you put in enough teacing time with your kid to ensure that he really is opperating at an advanced level.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,146 times
Did you find an educational fit for you child(ren)? I am struggling to find the best educational fit for my gifted son. One hour a week of gifted class does not seem to fit his needs. Any help or advice is useful.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:11 AM

137 posts, read 177,136 times
Hi,

Loretto Elementary has an all day gifted program. I don't know the specifics but it one full school day a week. If your child is "book smart" and enjoys more challenging course work you could try testing for the Duke or John Hopkins center for talented youth. They have programs online and in different parts of the country.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:59 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,193 times
Some extra curricular stuff perhaps, like music etc. Is there private shcool that would be a better fit. Perhaps a scholarship program is available based on his abilities or your family income. Some of the pricey schools actually have large endowments and scholarships

But most importantly; Let him be a kid! Don't overload him and get him burned out on school or treated like an oddity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville