Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 11:34 PM

28 posts, read 62,416 times

Advertisements

I've been lurking around this city forum for a while because I intent to move me and my kids to Jacksonville. Every one seems to agree Southside is better choice. Is there anything wrong with the north or north west of the city outside of that 9A loop zip 32218 etc? and are there IT employers in or around the city? I am a single dad and am looking for employers that use SAP. Any suggestions or opinion is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 03:37 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,276,703 times
(ha) If you do your homework then you'll find that San Marco, Riverside, Avondale, Murray Hill, Springfield, Ortega, are very desirable areas...depending what you're looking for. The only area of those that wouldn't be considered overly "kid-friendly" is Springfield, because it's only partial renovated. The others have many / mostly families living there. In fact, San Marco, Avondale, & Ortega could be THE most desirable places for a family with children to live. Murray Hill is more middle income families and Riverside in middle to upper income. All have lots of parks and good schools.

Check out property values over the past couple years. There is a reason why almost every other area except for the Historic areas around downtown (which I just named) has seen a drastic fall in average property values. The areas I mentioned have not. And that, my friend, is not subject to opinion.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrew View Post
I've been lurking around this city forum for a while because I intent to move me and my kids to Jacksonville. Every one seems to agree Southside is better choice. Is there anything wrong with the north or north west of the city outside of that 9A loop zip 32218 etc?
The Southside region of the city is the most dense region. This is where you'll find the greatest number of employers, shopping, restaurants, entertainment and consequently, the greatest number of residents. More people chose to live there for good reason.

That doesn't mean there aren't some really nice parts of the Northside and the Westside. It all depends on what you're looking for, where you need to be on a daily basis and so forth. If you prefer a more rural area, there are some really pretty parts of the Northside, for example. There can also be some heavy crime areas - especially where the Northside and Westside meet. This is a big spread out city, so things can change from one zip code to the next.

Are you considering living in 32218 because you'll be working there?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 PM

Riverree,
I consider the area in 32218 not because I work there. It is because I am about to come out there and visit few houses. These houses are close and above the 200K range but I was very concern because from reading this board I have not heard any one mentioned "nice" thing about the north side, especially north east of the airport.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:48 PM

26 posts, read 200,835 times
Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that I've lived in the area for a little over a year and, although I don't have kids so can't speak on the schools here I can say that I feel very safe and have had/heard of no major problems in this area; the one caveat is that there isn't much to do in terms of major shopping/nightlife/activities, so you would likely be going to southside for those things. Still, the River City Marketplace will cover your basics--there's a walmart and some minor chain stores there, as well as a large movie theatre and a few restaurants. Also, I believe they're building an extension of Shands(?) here, so that will likely bring in more businesses (not to mention help property values) down the road. There are plenty of new home developments here mixed in with older homes on larger lots, so it just depends on what your needs are.

I moved here solely to be closer to family, and when I learned my parents lived on the 'northside' I was very concerned based on things I'd read on forums like this; however, it seems that this (east)side of main st./17 is pretty tame, and the further west you go is where things get a little more sketchy.

Hope this helps and good luck w/your search.

Old 04-23-2009, 05:32 PM

Mistee71, Thanks for your response. It is very encouraging to hear. Can I ask what communities that are safe around there? what I should avoid. are you living in 32218? A

Old 04-23-2009, 07:30 PM

26 posts, read 200,835 times
Hi Abrew,

Yes I live over here; this area is called Oceanway and, overall I'd say it's a pretty safe/quiet location. If you're doing an online home search for this area you could also try zip 32226 (within blocks of 32218).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: