Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 10:41 AM

37 posts, read 104,737 times

Advertisements

Hello all... Any recommendation for a good homeowners insurance company? We're building a house in Two Creeks subdivision in Middleburg. Also, i'm not sure if our house is in a flood zone, but we do have a lake at the back of our house. Is it highly recommended that we get flood insurance anyway? I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 01:10 PM

4,620 posts, read 14,931,181 times
We have Tower Hill. We've not had to make a claim, so I can't comment on that aspect, but otherwise it's affordable. We also have flood insurance even though we don't live in a flood zone nor are we on any sort of waterway -- for us it's $348/year, money spent for peace of mind I guess.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:10 PM

45 posts, read 171,766 times
Yeah, I just purchased a home and I was wondering if I should get the flood insurance. I was told that the area I'm in (Mandarin) is not in a flood zone as well, so I'm thinking of getting the cheapest plan which is like $160 or so for the year. As far as home insurance goes, I'm with USAA. By your screen name I assume that you are eligible is you don't already use their services. You just can't beat their customer service and willingness to go out of their way to make sure that you have a good experience with them.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:01 PM

432 posts, read 1,304,806 times
I think we are using USAA.....we were given a few names of other people in FL that would insure our house, but we bank with USAA and found our realtor through them and love their services. They will insure you if you are on military orders to FL.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:22 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,033,908 times
I agree with wb3690
If you can get USAA because of your military orders I would.

My sister is kicking herself because she changed from them a few years ago and now is unable to get a homeowners policy again through them.

Recently the majority of the houses in our neighborhood had to have roofs replaced from the hail storm that went through this area last June.
So of course you know how neighbors "chat" well it seems that those with either USAA or Farmers Ins had the least amount of problems getting their claims approved.

We are with USAA and it was a breeze going through the claim process.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:23 AM

432 posts, read 1,304,806 times
I am updating...we are using USAA. We got a quote yesterday based on the info we had and it was good. Then today we received our address and called back to confirm it. We are not in a flood zone, but are getting flood insurance just in case...it covers more than just a natural disaster flood.

Easy enough...house started construction yesterday. We are excited!

Amy

Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM

Update: we're now comparison shopping, and I've actually just called USAA, and they gave me a quote of $1409/year!! I think that's pretty high in comparison to the amount that other people have said that they pay per year. The USAA rep that I talked to said the cost might be higher because with our house being full brick, it would cost more to rebuild? To those that own full brick houses, is this the case with homeowners insurance? I'm confused...I thought we'd actually get a discount because the brick is more fire resistant....?

I'll be calling Town Hill next...I sure hope we have better luck with them!

Last edited by FLnavywf; 04-15-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Another question: does the insurance company base the rebuilding cost of the home on the actual amount paid for the home? It seems kind of odd that the USAA agent never asked me how much I paid for the house, and had told me that the rebuilding cost on the policy would be $260,000...well that's more than what we paid for the house, so I'm confused.... I would appreciate any insight.

Will have to call Tower Hill tomorrow since they're closed.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:11 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,363,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
We have Tower Hill. We've not had to make a claim, so I can't comment on that aspect, but otherwise it's affordable. We also have flood insurance even though we don't live in a flood zone nor are we on any sort of waterway -- for us it's $348/year, money spent for peace of mind I guess.
Tower Hill is very good and they have a good rating (which means they pay). Tower Hill is located in FL so they are almost always writing FL policies.

My next choice after Tower Hill is Florida Family. Also out of FL, Florida family will sometimes insure a home that is a little harder to insure due to age of home, etc.

If money was no object, I would insure with Amica, but I've always felt confident in Tower Hill and Florida Family and I did a lot of research when I switched providers.

As for flood insurance, I never needed it but had it at one point. I have since dropped it. When family in Louisiana lost everything to Katrina - residential and commercial properties - I saw the ugliness of insurers and now only insure what I'm required to by my mortgage company. I still want to choose the best insurer I can afford, but I have very little faith that they'll actually be there should we ever see a disaster in Jax .

Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,363,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLnavywf View Post
Another question: does the insurance company base the rebuilding cost of the home on the actual amount paid for the home? It seems kind of odd that the USAA agent never asked me how much I paid for the house, and had told me that the rebuilding cost on the policy would be $260,000...well that's more than what we paid for the house, so I'm confused.... I would appreciate any insight.

Will have to call Tower Hill tomorrow since they're closed.

They calculate what it would cost to rebuild your home. If you tell them you have tile or wood floors, they will charge you a higher premium since it will cost them more if they ever had to rebuild your home. If you tell them you have granite countertops, you'll be "paying" for those countertops in your premiums yearly. So you'll have to decide if it's worth it to tell them of every upgrade you have in the house.

When it comes to the basics of the frame of the home, concrete foundation, and so forth, their computer will tell them the rebuild cost for your area. Still, they usually ask you what you paid for the home and what your mortgage is - did they not even ask you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville