Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 AM

8 posts, read 15,703 times

Advertisements

I am a 40 year widow with a 12 and 9 that make a and bs and are into sports (softball and soccer). I am thinking of moving to St. Augustine area. The World Golf Resort Area in particular because my brother is there. I am a teacher. I'm from the Northern New Jersey. Is this a good area, are the schools good. I confused whether I should stay where I am or move closer to my brother. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:12 AM

702 posts, read 2,184,609 times
Not to insult or imply that you would not have any other income, but I am not sure that area would be affordable on a single teacher's income. Have you looked at housing, yet in that area? If not here is the site for North Florida Realtors you can search all types of housing. Northeast Florida Association of Realtors Just click on Search properties on the left side. Have you had a chance to visit, either with your brother or to look for housing?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM

I am able to purchase a home outright. Besides teaching have other income. I'm am more worried about my 12 year old who will be going to high school in a year. I know this question is asked a lot but is the school education comparable to northern new jersey schools.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:49 AM

I forgot to relate that I am visiting my brother in June and July and have looked at house in his area and would be able to purchase a home.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 AM

702 posts, read 2,184,609 times
Great! I am not directly familiar with the school, but I know the county has a good reputation for schooling. Here is the H.S he would be attending St. Augustine High School - Home Someone on the board may have some personal experiences. Also here is the World Golf site, I noticed it has a Real Estate section. World Golf Hall of Fame, Located in the World Golf Village

Best of luck on your visit in June!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:26 AM

560 posts, read 2,075,640 times
World Golf Village is in the middle of nowhere, in my opinion. It's nice and upscale, but you'll have to drive 10-20 miles on the freeway to get just about anywhere interesting once you get bored with the village itself.

I didn't realize they were in the St Augustine High district either. It's not a bad school, but it's not great either. There are actually schools in Jacksonville that are much better. Also, there are certainly schools further North in St Johns that are much better too.

One day, Jacksonville and St Augustine will merge together in one giant suburban sprawl. But until then, places like WGV still feel really isolated to me.

If you don't mind being in the middle of nowhere, I'd still suggest looking for something in the Nease or Bartram Trail school district. However, if you don't mind being in the St Augustine High school district, I'd suggest looking for something in St Augustine itself - or maybe even in Palencia.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:07 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,733,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
World Golf Village is in the middle of nowhere, in my opinion. It's nice and upscale, but you'll have to drive 10-20 miles on the freeway to get just about anywhere interesting once you get bored with the village itself.

I didn't realize they were in the St Augustine High district either. It's not a bad school, but it's not great either. There are actually schools in Jacksonville that are much better. Also, there are certainly schools further North in St Johns that are much better too.

One day, Jacksonville and St Augustine will merge together in one giant suburban sprawl. But until then, places like WGV still feel really isolated to me.

If you don't mind being in the middle of nowhere, I'd still suggest looking for something in the Nease or Bartram Trail school district. However, if you don't mind being in the St Augustine High school district, I'd suggest looking for something in St Augustine itself - or maybe even in Palencia.
Joe, you make the assumption that there could be nothing interesting about the World Golf Village area and people who live there will eventually become so bored with the Village that they will yearn to move to Jacksonville where you live (apparently). That's your opinion and that's fine.

Fortunately, the OP has a brother living in WGV and can get a first hand idea about his level of boredom. One thing for sure, there is no place within 100 miles that will be similar to Bergen County, NJ.

I don't live in the resort myself but I know people who do and they are anything but bored. Their families feel relatively safe and they don't mind the occasional drive to Jacksonville. One thing about the area, it is about the same distance from downtown St. Augustine as from downtown Jacksonville so you are within easy reach of whatever each city line has to offer. Remember, WGV residents chose to move there and it is apparently still one of the desirable places to live in SJC.

As far as high schools go, it is well known that the St. Johns County schools are superior by Florida standards which seems to be extremely important to the OP.

Last edited by cricketfan; 04-20-2009 at 02:16 PM..

Old 04-20-2009, 05:43 PM

560 posts, read 2,075,640 times
My point isn't that the WGV is boring. Like I said, it's nice and upscale. My point is that there's nothing ELSE within a short drive. When you inevitably feel the need to go elsewhere - as everyone does - a 10-20 mile drive is a huge negative for many people. This is all fact. I'm sorry if the expression "once you get bored with" triggered some hypersensitivity, but I think you misread my post.

But anyway, not to stir the pot anymore, but it's worth mentioning that WGV has always been somewhat of a struggling project. Sales were always much slower than projected, and the project build-out has been way behind schedule from its inception over a decade ago. Again, WGV itself is pretty nice and upscale, so I think the problem is 100% location, location, location. It's still just a bit too far away for most people. One of these days it will probably be right in the middle of things, but not yet.

Quote:
As far as high schools go, it is well known that the St. Johns County schools are superior by Florida standards which seems to be extremely important to the OP.
But someone said WGV's district was St Augustine High. While other schools in the county are rated quite highly, St Augustine high is often considered middle of the road. Just for comparison's sake, it would be ranked below Mandarin or Fletcher in Jax.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:06 PM

16 posts, read 60,785 times
WGV would send their students to these highly rated schools: Mill Creek Elementary School
Pacetti Bay Middle School, and Allen D. Nease High School.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:45 AM

Thanks for all of the tips. I a couple of questions that I like to get seperate from my brother because he moved to WGV 2 years ago and loves it. How high are the taxes, homeowners insurance and homeowners fees? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville