Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 04:41 PM

13 posts, read 27,201 times

Advertisements

Does anyone live or have information on the three living options at South Bank The Peninsula, San Marco Place, The Strand. I have heard negative things about The Strand but nothing about the other two. For information I am 28, single, and have a very small dog. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:46 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,792,679 times
No but I've been looking too. There are tours by agents on utube btw. Peninsula seems like smaller units and less built out. The only utube views I saw were partial river views since the building looks like it's built side ways but I'm not sure about that. You were only looking at another building and a slice of the river on utube walkthrough. San Marco Place unit on the tour looks like normal apartments.

I think it's all in the amenities and views depending on the unit anyway. So you're only going to get the excellent direct views with the largest units I'm guessing. I really have no use for those ammenties so alot of the rent is a waste for me.

I have it on good advise that you must drive anywhere from the Strand area where as if you live closer to the boulevard you can walk for what you need. In other words there's all construction outside of those high rise areas.

But I'm coming up tuesday/wed to check it all out in person.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:58 PM

13 posts, read 27,201 times
Let me know what you think. Are there any other apartments or condos near San Marco. Those are the only three I can find. I would love to be closer to the square but it seems like single family homes.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,340,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches81 View Post
Let me know what you think. Are there any other apartments or condos near San Marco. Those are the only three I can find. I would love to be closer to the square but it seems like single family homes.
Lots of single family homes there. There are some older condos and small apartment buildings closer to the Square though. You will find some "For Rent" signs as you drive through the area, otherwise you might need the help of a realtor to track down the small rentals. A lot of these buildings are from the 40's and 50's though, so no real amenities to speak of, if that's what you're looking for.

There are also a couple of luxury condos, like Alexandria Place, and you might find a private owner who is renting one out, but again, you'd have to seek it out through Craigslist or a realtor or something like that.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:56 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,792,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches81 View Post
I just got back from there. I chose the Strand. They were fantastic to me. The poor agent was wearing heels and I could tell her feet were bothering her and she's only 28. VERY VERY VERY friendly. NOt rushing me at all. Even suggesting looking at a bunch of different styles so I could make an informed choice since the views are vastly different.

Her neighboring agent in the next office was also helpful. Sharing advise on different units that her customers feedback. The prices change depending on the floor and if they have fancy upgrades. One unit she showed me for an example had a ceiling fan that isnt standard but the renter requested one so they installed it.

She showed me about 10 units and we looked at each one a couple of times because they have so many different layouts and the views CHANGE AMAZINGLY DEPENDING ON THE FLOOR.

Mine is going to be up towards the top on the front left of the building sorta. The best part is, even if you dont get a direct front river view you always see some water and cool views. Even the views to the right next to the other highrise are good which...from the street you wouldnt think so but they are.

An example of two layouts is both bedrooms have a balcony , OR you can get on your single balcony from two different rooms. Like for a roomate situation. Stuff like that.

OR the Kitchens can be normal or EXTRA HUGE right on the balcony view if you like extra huge kitchens.

You need to go it's amazing, really.

The residents all gave me good recommendations.

Besides the convenience, beauty, newness and overall nothing to complain about I am VERY sensitive to chemical and they use a CLEAN NO ODOR cleaner you cannot smell anything in there. Just cleanliness. NO stupid potpourri or fragrence.

I also looked at 1616 Riverside in Southside and Villas of St Johns apartments. No pool at 1616 and no view to speak of and too small for me cuz I have two small birds that live here. They need alot of enrichment and although the block they are on at 1616 has alot of convenience it didnt work.

Villas for me smelled of fragrance but also no view were available except one very expensive 2/2 for 1400 with NO VIEW

I also didnt like the pool is only open from 9 till DUSK wtf. The Strand's is open pretty much 24 hours.

People hung towels on their balconies at the Villas and when I asked the leasing agent about it she just rolled her eyes.

There really is NO comparison with anything to the Strand. Except next door Peninsula which is privately owned condos rented out by owners. I didnt see any there. I met a really handsome guy there though with an awesome doberman if you go look for him LOL. He was an Antonio Banderas type I think he was from Spain too.

I also really liked LeBaron gorgeous river views a cute OLD building very secure and quiet direct river view to the south river access but the STrand you see the landing and everything over on that part of the city. I met some LeBaron residents and they were all nice. Half older half not. I checked all the cars and they were new and I drove everywhere all day and night to judge what goes on there. There were a couple random guys who seemed to be aimlessly walking up at San Marco at the LeBaron end in front of the Ronald McDonald house. Not scary guys like bums but just to note. There's a beer store there AND A DRUG REHAB there on San Marco but I didn't notice a drug trade per se.

I really wanted to live downtown but everyone's advise was right, there is absolutely nothing after work down there and it's not ready for single women living there yet. But I would have if it was slightly different.

Feel free to DM me, I have a nice lady at the Lebaron I really wanted to rent from, a private owner who is great. SHES the one who insisted I should check the Strand out ...I was laughing "I know you want me to live there so you can hang out" and she said yeah.

I cant wait to take that cute water taxi all over. I wish it ran at 7 or 8 am so I could take it to work. Maybe some day.

NOW I'm just waiting for my offer to arrive in writing and I'll be moving shortly thereafter.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 05-06-2009 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 28,550 times
I'm actually waiting for my home to sell so I can purchase a condo at either the Peninsula or San Marco Place. I'm leaning a little more towards the Peninsula because of the river views. SM Place has beautiful views but some of them could be blocked off if other highrises are built in the future, which makes me nervous. I plan on living in my condo until I retire (in 17 years) and maybe even after that.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:15 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,238,757 times
Pennisula is a better investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville