Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 09:58 PM
I95 I95 started this thread

62 posts, read 283,368 times

Advertisements

All the recent talk of the 2007 Hurricane Season has me wondering... what impact has the previous hurricane seasons had on the Jacksonville area? Directly or Indirectly.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 02:06 AM

495 posts, read 2,329,077 times
Jacksonville is not normally effected severely by hurricanes. In fact, it is probablty the safest area for hurricanes on the Florida coast.

The last direct hit was Dora a cat 2 in 1964. In 2004 we were effected again by Francis and Jeane but only by tropical force winds which did cause a lot of power outages given all the big trees in Jax that were damaged.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:53 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Jacksonville has no immunity to hurricanes. They've just been lucky. They do not build to the strict Florida hurricane codes so their luck better keep them safe. We were up there a month ago and we were stunned to learn from a realtor that their homes are wood frame, not cbs, and that there are no wind guards on the garage doors. The builders do not supply hurricane shutters as they are required to do in south Florida. Stay lucky, Jacksonville! You need it.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:15 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,118,863 times
cy
I have been here 15 years and have never had a problem
we had some wind during the 2005 season but it was more on the west side of town
karla

Old 04-05-2007, 10:21 AM

80 posts, read 295,340 times
i agree with verobeach, it's probably only a matter of time before Jax gets there hurricane. Not as likely as some other spots in Florida but definitely not immune by any stretch of the imagination. And if you think otherwise, just go ask an insurance agent about homeowners.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Verobeach,

I'm not sure of the age of homes you were viewing, but the building codes in Duval County (Jax) are quite strict.

Typically, the homes are wood frame with steel cables between each and every stud tying the roof to the concrete slab. Concrete block construction means nothing if your roof is not tied down. Most builders will build your home in CB for an additional price. Your home will not be as well insulated, it will NOT be impervious to termites, it will be difficult to add on to later and you will lose interior square footage. Every new home is cabled in this way, standard.

The garages DO have wind guards - you install them on the inside of your garage door prior to storm arrival - the new ones take 5-10 minutes to install and when the storm is over you remove it and tuck it over in the corner of your garage. Every new home comes with the guard, standard.

Hurricane shutters would be an upgrade/option or you can buy your own. The old plywood method, when properly installed has been shown to be more than adequate.

No one living in Jax would be foolish enough to think our city immune to the possibility of a direct hit, but a direct hit is unlikely. If a storm doesn't hit South Florida of the Gulf Coast (the likely targets of hurricanes), then the storms tend to travel north of us and land in the Carolinas...it's simple topography folks!

That should read "South Florida OR the Gulf Coast"

Old 04-05-2007, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
Verobeach,

I'm not sure of the age of homes you were viewing, but the building codes in Duval County (Jax) are quite strict.

Typically, the homes are wood frame with steel cables between each and every stud tying the roof to the concrete slab. Concrete block construction means nothing if your roof is not tied down. Most builders will build your home in CB for an additional price. Your home will not be as well insulated, it will NOT be impervious to termites, it will be difficult to add on to later and you will lose interior square footage. Every new home is cabled in this way, standard.

The garages DO have wind guards - you install them on the inside of your garage door prior to storm arrival - the new ones take 5-10 minutes to install and when the storm is over you remove it and tuck it over in the corner of your garage. Every new home comes with the guard, standard.

Hurricane shutters would be an upgrade/option or you can buy your own. The old plywood method, when properly installed has been shown to be more than adequate.

No one living in Jax would be foolish enough to think our city immune to the possibility of a direct hit, but a direct hit is unlikely. If a storm doesn't hit South Florida of the Gulf Coast (the likely targets of hurricanes), then the storms tend to travel north of us and land in the Carolinas...it's simple topography folks!
We sat and talked with a realtor who represented 5 custom builders of new homes on Fleming Island, Orange Park. And, of course, the roof is trussed. I didn't mention this because I took this for granted. But I'll take a cbs house any day. Concrete block with rebar rods through the holes then reinforced with poured concrete. Hurricane shutters should not be left as an upgrade anywhere in Florida, especially with the attitude some of the Jax folks have that it can never happen here!

Old 04-05-2007, 08:15 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
No Jax resident that has posted here has the attitude that "it could never happen here", nor have I ever met anyone in Jax with that attitude, so I'm not sure who you mean.

Yes, all roofs are trussed now...you don't like trussed roofs? The description you provided for concrete block (block, rebar throughout, poured concrete) is exactly how the slabs are done here, then trussed roof is tied by steel cable to said slab...it's really quite good.

If you want your new house to come with hurricane shutters, I bet the builder could be accomodating and you roll the cost into your mortgage like any other upgrade, or just buy them seperately - they sell them at Costco and everywhere else.

Since as it turns out, you were actually looking at homes in Clay county and not Duval as your original post stated, the codes may indeed be a bit different in Clay county (it is 30+ miles inland), they would be different in Middle Georgia as well...different in Wisconsin...

Old 04-06-2007, 03:24 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
. Hurricane shutters should not be left as an upgrade anywhere in Florida, especially with the attitude some of the Jax folks have that it can never happen here!
AFAIK, hurricane shutters are an upgrade right here on the Gulf at Port St Joe.
Not saying they should be, just reporting the situation as I know it.

But at least the house we are looking at on Amelia is built to hurricane code.

What Riveree says here is the impression I get when speaking to Jax folks.
Quote:
No one living in Jax would be foolish enough to think our city immune to the possibility of a direct hit, but a direct hit is unlikely.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:15 AM

Read wacahootaman and myfask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville