Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 PM

9 posts, read 366,552 times

Advertisements

Why do I keep getting so much negative feedback about Florida? We have been thinking of moving to Jacksonville when we sale our house but I hear so much about taxes and insurance prices I am afraid to even consider Florida. Is it true the property taxes are coming down 20% the first of July and there is a possibility that property tax (if you own your own home) will be elimiated and sales taxe will increase to 8% sometime soon? The property tax where we live in Alabama is really cheap compared to Florida but we already have 8% sales tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 10:21 PM

121 posts, read 504,009 times
I would not believe anything said about tax reductions until if and when they happen. As far as taxes our property taxes on the lot that we do not have homestead. $3,000 to $11,000 in three years.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:55 AM

10 posts, read 47,668 times
I am not a home owner so I can't speak on the taxes. But Fl. does have beautiful landscaping and no state tax. Try it. You may actually find it worth while and Al. isn't too far to visit. However, I would suggest Orange Park versus Jacksonville. The two are pretty much connected.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:17 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
No one knows yet what the solution to the property tax crisis will be yet. I wish they would just replace it with a sales tax, but it would be a miracle - too many cities, groups crying out against that one. We are all in a wait and see attitude. There was an article posted in the Orlando Sentinel stating that many prospective home buyers are on the fence - not closing deals - also in a wait and see mode.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:50 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nu_me View Post
However, I would suggest Orange Park versus Jacksonville. The two are pretty much connected.

a_nu_me,

What would you say the advantages are that Orange Park has over Jax? I tend to think of Orange Park as a bedroom community. Orange Park is built up enough to be established (you can get what you need there), but Jacksonville is a full-blown second-tier city. I'm just curious what it is you prefer.

I would add that although Orange Park often gets lumped in with Jax, there is a large river dividing the two that seperates them physically and otherwise. They are also different counties with their own governing bodies and their own tax rates (since that's what the original post was about - taxes - they are higher in Orange Park).

Old 04-09-2007, 04:05 PM

26 posts, read 145,401 times
Orange Park may be seperated from Jax by a river...but for that matter Jacksonville is seperated by a river. I like Orange Park. I moved out here a year or so ago and I have no complaints. I moved into a great development with low crime, good schools, and tons of ammenities. You cant beet it. In two years I will hardly have to leave my community because of the development and growth of orange park.

As for me, I don't like the beaches/southside area too much. Its nice and all, but the property is to expensive for what you get(in my opinion anyways) and the traffic in Mandarin is WAY WORSE than any traffic in OP.

I hear from my friend who is in the Real Estate industry that the House of Reps keeps pushing the tax thing. It seems that one way or another there will be some sort of relief. Honestly its not that bad in NE Florida though. South Florida is who really takes the brunt of the beating on the taxes.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:46 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times
Orange Park is not separated from Jacksonville by a river, well maybe Fleming Island Plantation is by a small river, i.e. Blck Creek. In fact, I live in Jacksonville and it is a short 10-30 minute drive down Roosevelt (or 5 hours down Blanding) depending on traffic. The Southside does not equal Jacksonville, it is essentially a side of Jacksonville. Sometimes I think people forget that there is another side of town on the other side of the river called the Westside and the Northside. Some of Jacksonville's finest neighborhoods (true neighborhoods not communties with HOA's and such) are on this side of the river.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:02 PM

301 posts, read 1,062,077 times
[quote=GotPuggle;556957]) and the traffic in Mandarin is WAY WORSE than any traffic in OP.QUOTE]

I completely disagree. The only area of mandarin that traffic backs up is near Walmart that can be aggrivating sometimes, but Blanding is a mess ALL the time. Just getting off the intserstate during rush hour and near Argyle is enough to make me scream...and unfortunately that traffic isnt limited to just rush hour. And near the mall? YIKES!

Old 04-09-2007, 05:43 PM

Default I stand corrected.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
Orange Park is not separated from Jacksonville by a river

True enough - you can get to parts of Jacksonville (including Downtown's Northbank) without crossing the river. To get to the Southbank, Southside & Beaches you'd have to cross the river.

The Southside does not equal Jacksonville, it is essentially a side of Jacksonville. Sometimes I think people forget that there is another side of town on the other side of the river called the Westside and the Northside. Some of Jacksonville's finest neighborhoods (true neighborhoods not communties with HOA's and such) are on this side of the river.
Well, the Southside is the biggest chunk of Jacksonville, so I think that's why it's referenced so much. There's also so much discussion about beach proximity when housing questions come up, so the Southside is a natural reference again.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:45 PM

Oops - I did something wrong with my quote of JSimms above.

The sentence "True enough..." in the second paragraph of the quote is actually mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville