Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 04:52 PM

2,043 posts, read 2,897,632 times

Advertisements

One of my weird lunch-time Internet hobbies is trolling through homes.com looking at what can be bought in various locations around the country. It looks as though one can buy a *very* nice looking house for under $100K in Jacksonville. Why are homes so affordable there? Overdevelopment? The crisis?
(I hope this isn't an overly sensitive topic for locals who have lost value in their homes. I am sincerely curious is all.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:50 PM

615 posts, read 1,708,809 times
I think it's all relative to what you are used to. We've always lived in the south, and we did get more bang for our buck than where we moved from, but not a huge difference. There are a lot of foreclosures here, too and I'm sure there was a lot of building during the boom...before the bottom dropped out.

Also, not sure where you saw this $100K house, but it's all about location! As with any large city, you are going to get some areas that are more desirable and some that are not so much. A house that might *look* like a deal online might not really be such a great deal when you find out where it's located. A lot of people moving to Jax with kids seek out St Johns County for the schools, and you'd be hard pressed to find a "*very* nice looking house for under $100K" there.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 AM

34 posts, read 65,269 times
Housing prices are like this in a lot of Florida. There are a bunch of reasons for it. Mostly, it is because the affordable houses are older homes which were meant to be affordable in the first place. The ridiculous housing boom and bust followed by an economic depression didn't help housing prices. If I wasn't desperate to escape Jax and get into med school I'd have bought a house at the beach when I saw a one selling for 20-30k.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 AM

705 posts, read 1,571,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlauburn View Post
A house that might *look* like a deal online might not really be such a great deal when you find out where it's located.
That. I did the same thing you're doing from Cali, then when we actually got here and we looked at the houses and their neighborhoods,....um, no thanks. We ended up spending quite a bit more than we thought. There is Google earth though. You can pretty much get a view as though you're walking down the street from the other side of the country.

What areas are you looking at and where are you from? Pretty much anything on the west side of the river (except Riverside/Avondale) is going to sell cheaper than most neighborhoods on the east side. i'm guessing that's where you're finding these "deals".

Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,307,674 times
Jacksonville is above the frost line, so it isn't as desirable as the other major Florida cities. Its weather is more like South Georgia. Also, the water on the Atlantic coast is colder than the Gulf coast.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:46 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,259,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abvavgjoe View Post
That. I did the same thing you're doing from Cali, then when we actually got here and we looked at the houses and their neighborhoods,....um, no thanks. We ended up spending quite a bit more than we thought. There is Google earth though. You can pretty much get a view as though you're walking down the street from the other side of the country.

What areas are you looking at and where are you from? Pretty much anything on the west side of the river (except Riverside/Avondale) is going to sell cheaper than most neighborhoods on the east side. i'm guessing that's where you're finding these "deals".
You don't know what you're talking about.

Venetia, Fairfax, Ortega, & Murray Hill ring a bell?

The first 3 are much higher than the median home price. The last is higher per sq foot,but not overall, as they mostly have small bungalows.

Those are all technically "westside" neighborhoods, along with Riverside & Avondale historic district, but people don't think of them as such.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 9,440 times
Cool Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Jacksonville is above the frost line, so it isn't as desirable as the other major Florida cities. Its weather is more like South Georgia. Also, the water on the Atlantic coast is colder than the Gulf coast.
Experiencing slightly cooler weather compared to South Florida is undesirable...?

Secondly, why would you assume the original poster whom may or may not be from Minnesota would need to know this information when he asked about affordable housing prices in Jax?

Old 09-18-2012, 04:24 PM

705 posts, read 1,571,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsu813 View Post
You don't know what you're talking about.

Venetia, Fairfax, Ortega, & Murray Hill ring a bell?

The first 3 are much higher than the median home price. The last is higher per sq foot,but not overall, as they mostly have small bungalows.

Those are all technically "westside" neighborhoods, along with Riverside & Avondale historic district, but people don't think of them as such.

Look dude, if you disagree, just say so and state your opinion. Don't say "You don't know what you're talking about." First of all, it's just rude and secondly, I have a right to an opinion on an internet message board already. Besides, I said "Pretty much anything on the west side of the river (except Riverside/Avondale) is going to sell cheaper than most neighborhoods on the east side." Meaning generally speaking, with exceptions. Venetia, Fairfax and Ortega are tiny neighborhoods aren't they? Especially when campared to everything on the east/north side of the river? Also, in my opinion, Murray Hill is nothing special as neighborhoods go.

I know it's hard to accept, but the OP (and anyone else) has a right to local resident's opinions even if they don't agree with yours.

Last edited by abvavgjoe; 09-18-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,300,638 times
Houses are cheap because no one wants to live there and it stinks

Old 09-18-2012, 07:19 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,307,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaugh06 View Post
Experiencing slightly cooler weather compared to South Florida is undesirable...?

Secondly, why would you assume the original poster whom may or may not be from Minnesota would need to know this information when he asked about affordable housing prices in Jax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville