Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:13 AM

7 posts, read 15,857 times

Advertisements

Deercreek, james island and jax golf n cc are gated with newer homes but pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 3,623 times
My wife and I both work at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota and are interested in transferring to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. Our kids are both out of High School so we would consider a Condo somewhere in close proximity of Mayo. We've visited the Jacksonville area several times and have looked at Condos off of Hodges Blvd. Prices there seem to range in the low to mid 100's, and the commute to Mayo seems like it would be easy. Would anyone have any suggestions, or anything to add about living off of Hodged Blvd ?

Old 11-18-2007, 09:21 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,963,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrk99 View Post
My wife and I both work at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester Minnesota and are interested in transferring to the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. Our kids are both out of High School so we would consider a Condo somewhere in close proximity of Mayo. We've visited the Jacksonville area several times and have looked at Condos off of Hodges Blvd. Prices there seem to range in the low to mid 100's, and the commute to Mayo seems like it would be easy. Would anyone have any suggestions, or anything to add about living off of Hodged Blvd ?
nice area, it's hard to go wrong there

Old 11-27-2007, 10:33 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketSpeculator View Post
BARTRAM SPRINGS PLANTATION

Is this a good place? Just looking at a home here that I like.

Single Family Home - 9148 Sweet Tree TRL, JACKSONVILLE, FL, 32256 - Realtor.com
Bartram Springs has very high fees, and the property taxes on the newer homes (b/c they are Duval) will be high. For example, there is a home for sale in there now that is listed at 269K. Property taxes are $8,000 per year b/c the homeowner bought in the height of the market, and paid over 300 for the home. The fees on top of that are near 1700 per year...so all in all, you'll be paying over 10K in taxes. The other negative about Bartram is that you will always have 100's of competitors for sale at the exact same time as you. Especially in this market, until all the overspenders/speculators etc. sel off, you could be looking at negative value problems as they dump inventory. Also, once the builders STOP building in there, you will have them to compete with as well. If you want new construction, but don't have to have BRAND new, you can look at many neighborhoods in Julington Creek, and off Baymeadows near 9A.... Look out off JTB as well, but the commute might be bad.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 PM

208 posts, read 819,508 times
Default Time of day.

A lot of the long commutes really depend on what time you or your wife would be going to work. You can easily get from the southside (for your situation southside blvd round deercreek) to the airport in 30-40 minutes with no traffic, maybe even less.

I95 North will take you there fast if it's anytime before 7:30am. After that things start to get bad. We are having a lot of construction out here, and I95 is getting it as well, so the commute should be very fast after everything is completed.

In my opinion I would prefer to live on the southside and have to drive to the Northside area (Near the airport) than do the opposite.

Old 12-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrk99 View Post
Hodges, which is off of J. Turner Butler Blvd (JTB) is very congested, however the traffic going towards the mayo clinic should be much less severe than traffic going into town.

I'm not sure about condos in the area. It's funny though. I'm looking at job opportunities at Mayo in AZ. Small world huh.

Old 12-16-2007, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,623 times
Computer Guy, do you currently work at Mayo in Jacksonville ?

Old 12-17-2007, 04:48 AM

Default it would be nice...

Unfortunately I don't. I have applied there before, but I was not called back for an interview. They are one of the organizations that I do want to work for though.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:18 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,023,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
... property taxes on the newer homes (b/c they are Duval) will be high. For example, there is a home for sale in there now that is listed at 269K. Property taxes are $8,000 per year b/c the homeowner bought in the height of the market, and paid over 300 for the home.
While it is true that Bartram Springs has hefty CDD fees, I question the $8000 property taxes. Duval millage rate is .0018. With a homestead exemption on a 300,000 home (equivalent to $500), I would calculate it to be under $4000, which still may seem high to folks that have lived in their own homes for a long time.

Do you disagree?

Old 12-17-2007, 04:43 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
While it is true that Bartram Springs has hefty CDD fees, I question the $8000 property taxes. Duval millage rate is .0018. With a homestead exemption on a 300,000 home (equivalent to $500), I would calculate it to be under $4000, which still may seem high to folks that have lived in their own homes for a long time.

Do you disagree?
....and the millage is even lower now, the 2007 final millage rate for Duval is listed as 16.68 (down from the 18 rate of earlier years):

http://coj.net/NR/rdonlyres/ep5m3oimnmxp4lw53aglz6cfx2qvpu3bh7kxgh35v2gam2j5v3 onyrtt3hm53xgcn57kkbz6pmuniy4klcity7zkema/07+Millage+Final.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville