Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 01:06 PM

14 posts, read 116,423 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I have got a offer to move to Jacksonville from Mumbai,India and need your help to make my decision easy since moving with my wife and small kid (3 yrs).

Do we have any Indian Asian community?

Anyone would know about good schools where all communities kid study? since my son doesnt speak that fluently in English, will the teachers help him at the initial stages as very much worried he should get adjusted to the new environment & culture?

Also worried about my wife, we have a very social life in india and close to parents,friends etc..Not sure how western culture would suit her and if she can get some Indian community friends to make?

Where can we get a good flat to rent and anywhere near good Asian-Indian comunity families ? whats the place's name?

Appreciate if someone can help us here to make decision about our move and future. Thanks and God bless
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2009, 01:59 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,335 times
Flavors -- Essence of India

Home Page

Home (http://indiajax.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Several Indian Restaurants are located on Baymeadows Road/ Southside. There are also apartments with different price ranges depending on how old it is. You might want to look in this area. I can't name specific apartments because I think they are all about the same. They are fine to live in but not safe at night to walk around, you might get robbed. The area is otherwise safe. The school is rated "A".

Old 05-23-2009, 07:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
There is a growing Indian community in Jacksonville that now numbers in the thousands and there is an active Hindu Society if you are religious. I think that your family will like it here and the language barrier for your children will not be a problem. You could contact the Jacksonville Indian Community Home Page for neighborhoods and schools that you may want to consider. Jacksonville is very large and offers something for everyone. As with most locales, anyone can live anywhere, but there are some neighborhoods where I feel more at home and others that I would choose not to live.

Welcome!

Location and Timings

Greenland Road Temple - Jacksonville, FL - Hindu Temples on Waymarking.com

Old 05-24-2009, 06:20 AM

Thanks for your reply

Would you get me a Indian family contact email who have kids for me to find out about good schools,when the academic year starts,how do we get admissions and when etc..

The Indian community page is really helpful and will read more about it. Cheers

Old 05-24-2009, 06:54 AM

33 posts, read 148,421 times
Default southside is the best

South side of the Jacksonville area is the best for your preferences as Indian restaurants, groceries , Hindu temple are all close by. Be aware of some apartments on Bemeadows and southside which became notorious for security reasons.

Schools are OK but not great. Many people from Indian community send their kids to Magnet schools (http://magnetprograms.com/) as they are suited for academic oriented.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM

725 posts, read 2,570,335 times
I hope someone on the forums can help you to connect with a family. The ones I know aren't computer people. I saw so many Indians at Target tonight. (No, I didn't tap them on the shoulder and say excusssse me..but it certainly crossed my mind..lol.)

Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 AM

Hey thanks All

Just worried about school for my son (who will be 3 in July) and about families safety..

also they should get comfortable with the culture,people and place overall..

Thanks again.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 22,922 times
Wink Better on the Southside of Jacksonville

Namaste! As you can tell from my name I am an American with an Indian name. I can give you an honest answer to your question.
I moved here from Atlanta and it's been a big adjustment for us. Unfortunately, Jacksonville has a small town mentallity (desi). There is still alot of black/white racial issues. I was ask my first day on my job if i was scarred of black people!!
There are not alot of Indian restraunts here. There is only 2 true Indian restraunts with grocery stores next to them: Apna on Beach Blvd. and India's Restraunt on Blanding. The rest are Middle Eastern but the ferengis think India is in the Middle East. Understand?
There aren't Asian shopping centers with Asian salons, jewlers, dress shops like you would find in New York, Atlanta, and LA. The closest city would be Orlando which is about 2 hrs. drive away. There are ALOT of South Asians there!
It is mostly Sieks and Muslims here.
There is a Masqjid on St. John's Bluff Rd. A Swaminaryan Mundir on Merrill Rd.
I have friends on both sides of the religious border.
I suggest living on the Southside of Jacksonville. There is a better mix of people there.
Find your Mundir or Masqjid or church first and then ask the other members about the community.
As far as education, the Montessori School might be best for your little one, then Magnet Program when he's 5yrs.old. My son is in a Magnet Program in middle school (12-14yrs.) and is an A's Honor Ambassador!
If you need to connect with another Patel family,let me know!
I wish you and your family all the best!

Old 05-26-2009, 03:58 AM

Thanks for the details..

I would need a mandir around being a Hindu! Most important will my wife like the place and make friends maybe someone like you since first move out of India!!

Also my kid will be 3 in july and would like to know will he get admission to the montessori whenever we move to Jacskonville whether its Aug,Sept etc..? Please confirm.

Not too worried about restaurants but need indian grocery shops.
yes, would need some Indian families around to make them feel comfortable and some Patels like you :O)

Thanks for your help

Old 05-27-2009, 09:37 AM

604 posts, read 4,620,598 times
I live in Sevilla near World Golf Village and there are many Indian Asians living in my community. Atleast once a month they seem to have a gathering at the clubhouse. I also worked with a lady once who was involved in her communities' Indian social gatherings. She lived in John's Creek off 210. These communities are in St Johns County aoubt 30 minutes south of Jax downtown. My friend was Hindu and I believe most of my Indian neighbors are also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville