Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:59 AM

4 posts, read 10,164 times

Advertisements

Have you looked into the Wilmington area of North Carolina?? Right now, NC is one of the fastest growing states and there are lots of transplants coming in. Wilminton is a beautiful area--and it is close to the beach. It is a college town with a city feel, and the beach is nearby. Wrighstville beach is more 'suburban' than some of the other beaches in the coastal Carolina area--I'm assuming you are not looking for a tourist-y area to live in. There are so amany activities for kids and families. I feel like there is much more to do here than in Jacksonville/St. Augustine. Here is a post from city-data concerning Wilmington.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ilmington.html

I am originally from St. Augustine/Jacksonville, and while I love and miss it, NC is a very nice place to live. South Carolina and North Carolina have very different 'feels', so check it out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 03:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,715,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME1220 View Post
Have you looked into the Wilmington area of North Carolina??
I believe the OP said they were "getting tired of the winters" and although winters in NC are not anything like CO, it would seem that they would be better off farther south like St. Augustine or even Jax.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:32 AM

4 posts, read 10,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I believe the OP said they were "getting tired of the winters" and although winters in NC are not anything like CO, it would seem that they would be better off farther south like St. Augustine or even Jax.
I agree that winters in Florida are virtually non-exsistent--but based on the fact that they are also looking in Myrtle Beach, which is about an hour and a half south of Wilminton, I am assuming that a little cold weather is not going to bother them

Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM

22 posts, read 103,462 times
We have lived in the American West my whole life and have now arrived at St. Augustine (in a cyberspace sort of way) as the first possibility for my wife and I anywhere in the East. We are not used to bugs here out west and wonder, just how bad *are* the bugs in Florida? All qualitative replies will be appreciated! Also, when is the 'bug season,' if there is such a thing?

Old 01-15-2010, 08:42 PM

227 posts, read 412,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDrako View Post
We have lived in the American West my whole life and have now arrived at St. Augustine (in a cyberspace sort of way) as the first possibility for my wife and I anywhere in the East. We are not used to bugs here out west and wonder, just how bad *are* the bugs in Florida? All qualitative replies will be appreciated! Also, when is the 'bug season,' if there is such a thing?
Bugs in Florida or bugs in St. Augustine? I've lived in St. Augustine about 15 years and have not had any problems. Most if not all areas here are sprayed for mosquitoes. We have never had any problems with palmetto bugs. That would be a possibility in some areas, though easy enough to remedy. The only real "bug season" is spring and fall for clouds of love bugs. They can be a real nuisance driving mainly inland. They don't bite, but their squashed little bodies will take the paint right off your car if not washed off. Lastly, termites can do a lot of damage to a wood-frame home; those you won't see until it's too late. You will see some weird insects for sure but I think I listed the worst.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:53 PM

622 posts, read 1,658,160 times
Make sure you compare state income tax rates before you move.. FL doesnt have a state income tax, which is a big bonus considering how wonderful it is!! You'll make up for it in property taxes though depending on where youre at. (NC state income tax just went up to 9.75%.. thats REALLY HIGH!)

Electric bills will vary.. if you have a pool, the costs will instantly go up, from the pool pump always running, plus pool heater if you have one. If you have higher ceilings, it'll take more AC to cool the house, and costs go up. Lots of factors to consider. $180 electric bill isnt high at all for FL, but keep in mind, the winters in FL are very mild and your electric bill wont even go towards AC costs, simply because it wont be running for a few months!

We're from South Florida and are relocating to the JAX beach area.. we absolutely love it. I will never move out of FL again.. there are too many things the state offers that we took for granted before. You dont realize how great the amenities and beaches are until you dont have them anymore.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,331,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elthznd901 View Post
Thanks for all the info!

A few more questions..

How expensive are house taxes typically(average/examples will work great)?

Also I noticed someone thought their $180/month electric bill was cheap..lol What are typical bills for utilities each month? I know there is no way to know for sure.. just if someone has some examples that would be great.

I also read someone mention house insurance of 4 grand! Is house insurance really that expensive out there?!

Thanks!
You can defnitely pay that much in homeowner insurance. However, taxes are cheap...so it is somewhat of a trade. When we lived in Mandarin our utility bills ran between 200-350 per month in the summer, and under 100 in the winter. Taxes on a 300K home were around 2,800-3200 per year when we lived there 2 years ago. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:10 PM

7 posts, read 13,237 times
Colorado is a very beautiful state in many respects.
Most people do not even know that half of the state is disgustingly flat and extremely ugly.
It is cold as can be in winter, and hotter than hades in summer.
One summer there we had over thirty consecutive days of 100 degree plus heat.
Every state has pros and cons.
The beauty of the age we live in is, if you want change, just move. Do something different.
Florida on the other hand is a dicey one.
Every predator on the planet seems to be there. More child molesters per square mile than anywhere in the country. YOu have to be dilligent in making a move to a state like that. Check the city crime stats and also the number of uniformed policeman per citizen. YOu will be amazed at what you find.
You can count on one hand the number of safe Florida cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville