Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:40 AM

5 posts, read 7,061 times

Advertisements

Making a short trip with husband around Columbus Day to check out area, (Jax and St Austne) Flying into JAX and renting car to look around. Would love to hear some ideas as where to stay that is quaint. Please advise as to what CDD fees are, understand HOA > Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 11:44 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
Maybe I'm confused, but why are you asking about CDD and HOA fees, when you're just wondering where to stay for a holiday weekend? LOL Is this just a multipurpose thread?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:37 PM

Default Fact Finding Mission/Possible Relocation...

Well...I guess my quesion was a multiple thread...as I mentioned, we are coming to town to look around. I see alot of info on housing and am curious as the meaning of "terms" used like CCD. Coming in from the country/Virginia where I have not heard of that type of fee..Lots of hotels to look into and I would presume October might have better rates "off season" to stay..Any info would be appreciated. Thx..

Old 07-05-2009, 12:53 PM

Here's a pretty good definition of a CDD, which I found via Google.

A Community Development District (CDD) is a local, special purpose government authorized by Chapter 190 of the Florida Statutes as amended and is an alternative method for managing and financing infrastructure required to support community development. CDD’s possess several powers as a legal entity, such as the right to enter into contracts; the right to own both real and personal property; adopt by-laws, rules and regulations and orders; to sue and be sued; to obtain funds by borrowing; to issue bonds and levy assessments.
CDD’s provide a mechanism for the financing and management of new communities, which is consistent with the local governments’ development procedures and regulations. They represent a major advancement in Florida’s effort to manage its growth effectively and efficiently.
The community development district may impose and levy taxes or assessments, or both taxes and assessments, on the property.
These taxes and assessments pay the construction, operation and maintenance costs of certain public facilities and services of the district and are set annually by the governing board of the district.
These taxes and assessments are in addition to county and other local governmental taxes and assessments and all other taxes and assessment provided for by law.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:51 PM

Default CDD, Additional Fee's to Consider...

Thank you for the explaination. This too must be considered as I have explained to my husband "there are no free rides" state tax free etc,.. I would assume that not all communites have CDD it appears.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:34 PM

Yeah, CDD's are not the norm in Jacksonville. It typically only appears in master planned communities with plentiful amenities.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:13 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,985,603 times
EricBoyd covered the CDD question well. The only thing I can add is that no CDD is the same - each is a little bit different with varying fees. Even within a community the CDD fee can vary depending on the particular neighborhood and/or size of the lot. Some CDD fees include HOA expenses while in other communities HOA fees are separate. What helps to offset these fees a little bit is the Homestead Exemption on the real estate taxes.

When the time comes that you're here and looking, the best way to find out about fees is to ask a realtor. The second best way is to look up the tax bill of a particular property online.

As for a hotel, when you say "quaint" are you more interested in a B&B or just a decent mid-expensive chain hotel? Do you have a location preference such as near downtown (either St. Augustine or Jacksonville) or near the beach?

Old 07-06-2009, 06:44 PM

Default CDD Fee's Continued...

Thank you all for your responses. One question I have would be are there set tax deductions for this type of fee? No offensive but it sounds alot like a big slush fund for some local governing agencies. I am very familar with HOA fee's being collected for maintence/community property etc. How is the fee collected? Regarding lodging I was looking into a B&B and looks like quite a selection, something around $125 per night. Most likely looking more towards St Augustine, thx..

Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 PM

The CDD is a non-Ad Valorem tax, which means it's a set amount per lot, and not based on the property's assessed value. The annual CDD assessment is collected with your annual property tax bill. Here's an example of how it is split on the Tax Bill: Duval County Tax Collector

The monies are paid to the District, and the County doesn't get to touch. If you're looking at buying in a CDD community, then I'd suggest obtaining a copy of the annual budget from the seller, or their Real Estate Agent. Then, you can see where the monies should be spent.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:45 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,245,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
EricBoyd covered the CDD question well. The only thing I can add is that no CDD is the same - each is a little bit different with varying fees. Even within a community the CDD fee can vary depending on the particular neighborhood and/or size of the lot. Some CDD fees include HOA expenses while in other communities HOA fees are separate. What helps to offset these fees a little bit is the Homestead Exemption on the real estate taxes.

When the time comes that you're here and looking, the best way to find out about fees is to ask a realtor. The second best way is to look up the tax bill of a particular property online.

As for a hotel, when you say "quaint" are you more interested in a B&B or just a decent mid-expensive chain hotel? Do you have a location preference such as near downtown (either St. Augustine or Jacksonville) or near the beach?
Try this Bed and Breakfast: St Augustine Florida Bed and Breakfast Inn Hotel in FL - FLA

My wife and I have stayed there more than once and it is awesome. You are within walking distance to the historic downtown area, restaurants, shops, everything. If you'd rather have a hotel, try the Comfort Inn on Ponce de Leon Blvd. - very clean rooms and we always get the room with a jacuzzi in it. It's also in walking distance as well to everything, just on the opposite side of it all. Local Tip: Have lunch at the Columbia Restaurant in St. Augustine!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville