Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 03:50 AM

4 posts, read 8,918 times

Advertisements

Is there any site that has a decent neighborhood / region type map? We are looking at possibly moving the Jax area and it's a bit difficult to remember where is where. Seems like the "nicer" areas are south and west of Jax itself, just trying to figure out where to look. We are a couple straddling either side of 30, going to start a family soon, I work in IT, she's in HR, would like something near or on water (but not the floody bits !) if possible. She'd like to be able to walk to the basics of life and at heart likes the city, while I prefer things a bit more spread out. Would like to cap at $300K, but my inner cheapskate would prefer about $50K less. Want a decent sized yard, not a back postage stamp though.

As a side note, I've seen the nearly attached pools with a covering (screened in, maybe?) and it strikes me a good idea. What would one be looking at for one of those, cost-wise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:34 AM

392 posts, read 1,552,393 times
Try this link. It shows neighborhood names.

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic

I think you will be hard-pressed to find good waterfront property for 300K or less, unless you locate on a retention pond or lake. However, 300K should allow you to locate just about anywhere else in Jacksonville.

It sounds like you want a house and yard in a walkable neighborhood with stores close by. I would suggest Riverside, San Marco, the Mandarin areas close to I295, and Avondale. I'm sure there are more areas that fit the bill. Jacksonville has a huge land area, with many "undiscovered" neighborhoods.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:45 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,274,777 times
Here is some info that will help you out, including some area maps.

I'm an advocate for the Historic districts that surrond Downtown, so I have a ton of information about those. Going by what you are looking for, it sounds like Riverside, Avondale, or San Marco is right down your alley.

These three are right next to Downtown, about 4-7 miles away depending on what part exactly, border the River, very walkable, family friendly, good schools overall, and very popular as well.

Riverside & Avondale sit right next to eachother and are basically the same area, the largest historic distrcit in the state. Avondale is more upscale and quiet, while Riverside is more young and vibrant. Of course, they are almostv the same area so living in one area is almost like living in both. Lots within walking distance - great restaurants, botiques, cafes, parks, weekly & monthly festiavls, and the river. Both have decent night life (ie, restuatants, lounges, and casual bars - not clubs). Home prices are lower in Riverside at this time, though that is rapidly changing. The neighborhoods feature a lrage mix of large and small homes from the 1920's - 1940's for the most part, with others sprinkled in. There are new lofts available too.

Here are some great photo links:

Riverside:
Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: Riverside

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Riverside Park

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - A Walk through Park & King

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Riverside Arts Market Opens

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Memorial Park

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Park & King Shopping District: Photo Tour

Riverside: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Northbank Riverwalk

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: Avondale

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Boone Park

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Exploration: The Shoppes of Avondale

Avondale: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Parks: Willowbranch Park

Riverside/Avondale's prominant community organization: www.riverside-avondale.com

San Marco is just acorss the river from Riverside/Avondale and is perhaps a bit more upscale overall. Very similar though, beacuse it has lots of great parks, restuarants, cafes, the river, botiques, all within walking distance. Again, a mix of large & small homes, with a large variation in styles. Not quite as much going on in this neighborhood though.

Here are some pics & info:

San Marco: Metro Jacksonville - Walking San Marco Square: Photo Tour

San Marco: Metro Jacksonville - Urban Neighborhoods: Touring San Marco

San Marco: Metro Jacksonville - San Marco: A Walking Oasis in an Unwalkable City

San Marco's community organization: www.smpsjax.com

You can easily find a home in these areas for 300k or less. There are fanatatic large homes in Riverside now for 250-275k - totally renovated-, which is a great deal considering the popularity of that area is sky rocketing. Wayne Weaver, the Jags owner, lives in the area and is developing new lofts and businesses there, which will again boost home values. You won't get as much for your money in Avondale. San Marco is a mixed bag, what you get for 275k just depends on specific street in San Marco.

I would suggest www.intownjacksonville.com to check out neighborhoods and properties in the Historic districts if you are interested. The realtor that runs the site only serves those areas and knows all about them. I just bought a home in the Springfield Historic District and was very satifsfied with her services. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:22 AM

4 posts, read 8,918 times
Thanks for the help. I can see we're going to have to do some driving around and looking.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
The screened in pool is my favorite. Or even the porch/patio with no pool....Some people screen in a huge patio or courtyard. The birdcage lol....I priced it out at about 5k for a big one. It keeps wildlife and debris out. You can also get different grades of screening that allow somewhat less uva uvb through which will marginally help your sun exposure. The holes are closer together.

Regarding neighborhoods you need to really determine what an acceptable commute is...there can be a variance depending on weather/time you leave/accidents. Since so much traffic converges through the area and access to downtown is always via one of the bridges. "Jacksonville" is 850 sq miles. Never move to Florida and buy right away, imo, you're opinions can easily change as you're here longer and exposed to more. There's an adjustment. Some people know EXACTLY what they want and remain happy about it but not everyone. Rent first.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:13 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAB View Post
Is there any site that has a decent neighborhood / region type map? We are looking at possibly moving the Jax area and it's a bit difficult to remember where is where. Seems like the "nicer" areas are south and west of Jax itself, just trying to figure out where to look. We are a couple straddling either side of 30, going to start a family soon, I work in IT, she's in HR, would like something near or on water (but not the floody bits !) if possible. She'd like to be able to walk to the basics of life and at heart likes the city, while I prefer things a bit more spread out. Would like to cap at $300K, but my inner cheapskate would prefer about $50K less. Want a decent sized yard, not a back postage stamp though.

As a side note, I've seen the nearly attached pools with a covering (screened in, maybe?) and it strikes me a good idea. What would one be looking at for one of those, cost-wise?
"Near or on water"...fairly easy to find. There is water just about everywhere here. Whether it's the river, a lake, a stream or the big ocean, there is a lot of water around us. $250k-$300k should find you a home on some sort of water. I've seen, for example, homes on Christopher Creek (zip 32217) in that price range and homes on Rose Creek/Lake Geraldine (32207). These are natural bodies of water that connect to the Saint John's River and are just a few blocks from the river. Generally these are homes that require updating, but they also tend to have good-sized lots. Newer developments will usually have retention ponds and "waterfront" homes in these developments will often fall into the $250k-$300k range as well, though the lots are usually small.

Since Jacksonville became a large city through incorporation, the zoning can be inconsistent. The upside to this is that you don't have to go far outside of downtown to find a good-sized piece of property. So if you want 1/4 acre or 1/2 acre, you can live very close to the city center and easily find that size property. If it's more of an acre-sized lot you're looking for, then I'd say you need to go further out (Mandarin has acre-sized lots).

As far as the nicer parts of the city being "south and west", I'm not so sure where you're referring to. On the West side from downtown you'll find Avondale, Riverside and Ortega. Ortega in particular might have what you're looking for, especially for lot-size. Avondale is very nice, but the lots are usually much smaller. To the SouthEast of downtown, you'll find San Marco and San Jose. Considering your price-range, you're more likely to find the lot size you require in San Jose (32217), but I would not rule out the San Marco area (32207), you might find the right mix of lot size and price here too and you can also walk to shops from many parts of 32207.

Hope that didn't confuse things more, but you have lots of areas to choose from !

Old 07-16-2009, 09:01 PM

197 posts, read 751,820 times
Hi Riveree -

Haven't searched this forum for a while. We still have not sold our home here in Belfair, WA.

We are still undecided where to go (FL, TX, or AZ) when we DO sell.

Anyway, is there much of a difference between Mandarin and Beuclerc-Mandarin?

How about flood-prone areas that should be avoided?

Thanks.

iuki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville